One Hit Wonders

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby hazy » Wed May 30, 2007 10:23 pm

What a fukin he poser he is. Bastard always had Burds hangin of his arm. Not that a wiz jealous . :x
Thank you. And why not.
hazy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Alex Glass » Wed May 30, 2007 10:24 pm

Dexter St. Clair wrote:
Alex Glass wrote:H2O, Henry Gorman Band, Orange Juice has lots of records but only a couple of hits.

Ricky Lee Jones was the same.

What about Pussycat. Can anyone remember a female group called Fanny? They had a minor hit with Solid Gold.

Hazy Fantazi

Classic Dex

Thanks ;) :)

Think they only released the one album which was fantastic :) :)
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby johnnyanglia » Wed May 30, 2007 11:18 pm

Haysi Fantayzee were brilliant and had three hits(i know ive got them), Shiny Shiny, John Wayne is big leggy(which was about his trouser prowess and contained the immortal line "Speckled hen just stop your squawking, big bad rooster's doing the talking") and Sister Friction. In my youth(12-13ish) i knew Rose McDowall of Strawberry Switchblade and her husband Tom as they were friends of my Mum and Dad. Rose is still recording under the name of Sorrow and she collaborates with such chart acts as Current 93, Coil and Nurse with Wound.
Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings
johnnyanglia
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

More than one Fanny album

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Wed May 30, 2007 11:25 pm

http://tinyurl.com/27m7p3

on Cd there's only an expensive box set drawn from the first four albums
First Time in a Long Time
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby dazza » Thu May 31, 2007 2:10 am

I always thought Fanny were one of the main inspirations for the fictional 'Carrie Nations' (best girl group of all time - almost) in Beyond the Valley of the Dolls.
dazza
-
-

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Thu May 31, 2007 7:08 am

The film was out before the band's first album and although fanny were the first US all girl playing their own instruments to hava an album on a major label there had beeen other girl groups before them.

Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby dazza » Thu May 31, 2007 9:13 am

Dexter St. Clair wrote:fanny were the first US all girl playing their own instruments to have an album on a major label

I was going to say 'Goldie & the Gingerbreads' probably held that distinction, but, although signed to a major, i'm not sure they ever released an album.
dazza
-
-

Postby johnnyanglia » Thu May 31, 2007 9:28 am

I have just bought "The Shaggs" album what a little gem that is !
Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings
johnnyanglia
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby TommyDGNR8 » Thu May 31, 2007 12:57 pm

Strawberry Switchblade claimed that they'd taken their name from an obscure early Orange Juice lyric. When asked about it, Edwyn Collins said (paraphrasing here) "I wouldn't write anything that twee - sounds like Roddy Frame to me".

Heavy Pettin's first album ("Letting Loose", the one produced by Brian May) stands up as a bit of cracking 80s rock to this day - entering Eurovision (oh yes they did!) didn't do their reputation any good, though.

Nice to see someone upthread remembering Sideway Look - the fourth best musicians to come out of Coatbridge (after Marmalade, Fran & Anna and Hue & Cry in that order).

The Big Dish song "Miss America" is an overlooked 80s pop classic.

How much (if any) chart success did SAHB or Frankie Miller have?

Anyone into the 80s Glasgow pub scene will love this... http://www.glasband80.co.uk/
TommyDGNR8
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby hazy » Thu May 31, 2007 2:23 pm

Brilliant Tommy. I have a couple of old negs of Glasgow aka Wildcat playing
a gig at the Bungalow Bar in Paisley.
Thank you. And why not.
hazy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Thu May 31, 2007 6:18 pm

dazzababes wrote:
Dexter St. Clair wrote:fanny were the first US all girl playing their own instruments to have an album on a major label

I was going to say 'Goldie & the Gingerbreads' probably held that distinction, but, although signed to a major, i'm not sure they ever released an album.

Signed to UK Decca and produced by Alan Price but as you say no albums.

here's another girl band

Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Alex Glass » Thu May 31, 2007 9:09 pm

Dexter St. Clair wrote:
dazzababes wrote:

Signed to UK Decca and produced by Alan Price but as you say no albums.

here's another girl band

Dex

Your truely are a font of much knowledge.

Thank you for the additional information on Fanny. I only heard one of their albums and it was brilliant. I was disapointed it wasn't a bigger hit.
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Thu May 31, 2007 9:29 pm

Alex Glass wrote:
Thank you for the additional information on Fanny. I only heard one of their albums and it was brilliant. I was disapointed it wasn't a bigger hit.

I think you might be better off buying them from amazon. I don't think it would do your career any good going in to HMV and asking "Do you have any .....?"

Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Alex Glass » Thu May 31, 2007 9:36 pm

Not sure Dex

It may be easier to go to HMV rather than have it on my Credit Card details for ever.

It would also be great to go in and just ask at the counter to see what reaction I would get ;)
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Cyclo2000 » Fri Jun 01, 2007 8:13 am

Strawberry Switchblade was the name of Rab Hodgen's fanzine. There were so few bands about that he used to make them up and write reviews of these phantom gigs. One of the bands he raved about were the Bluebells. He took the name from a box of matches. He went on about them so much that a bit of a hype grew up around them and people started asking where they could go to see this great new band. He was forced in the end to approach Stan and Abba McCluskey and get the band started for real. Rab then became Bobby Bluebell.
Strawberry Switchblade took their name from the fanzine. Their first single was Trees and Flowers, a pean to agrophobia, recorded as so many Glasgow band records were at that time, in John McLarties Emblem Studios in Stra'ven, where the engineer was called RD Warwick. He went on to form the band Rough Charm who went to America in the mid 80's and changed their name to the Almighty, whereafter they enjoyed some success and renown.
Alter Aterius Auxilio Veget
Cyclo2000
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)