Bogleshole Road

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Bogleshole Road

Postby Blueboy » Sat Jan 22, 2005 9:33 am

Any Cambuslang historians how it got it's name? I know bogle is Scots for a spectre or hobgoblin :twisted:
Blueboy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby gap74 » Sat Jan 22, 2005 6:14 pm

Lived on Cambuslang most of my life and read almost all the history books out there, but alas, never been able to find out the origin of the name! At least the nearby Clydeford Rd is fairly obvious!

The wee Old Cambuslang books by Ian L. Cormack have explanations of place names at the start of them, but the one I have doesn't have Bogleshole at all - although it does say that the explanations date from something known as Pageant of Cambuslang, held in the Institute on 25th April 1955.

On the other hand, you might want to contact Ed Boyle, who maintains a website on old Cambuslang, with tons of photos and a few interesting maps. Bogleshole appears on the maps going back to the mid-1800s, so is at least 150 years old.

http://www.boyle.ukpals.com/Cambuslang/Cambuslang.html

Gary
gap74
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby DVF » Sun Jan 23, 2005 4:08 pm

Had a look on 'tinternet about this and quite alot came up, considering it's only a street. It seems there was a family called Bogle back in the day that owned alot of land around that area.

From National archives, no date:
Bogle family of Bogleshole, Shettleston and Daldowie

A map by William Forrest, 1816

Descriptions of the Sheriffdoms of Lanark and Renfrew, C.1831:
Bogill, William, of Bogleshole,

There used to be a Bogleshole Ford right under where the bridge going over the Clyde which Bogleshole Road is now, or is it Cambuslang Road at that point?

From Clydebridge Steelworks History

'I then found that the history of the area goes back much further, and Hamilton Farm is mentioned in the charter that created the Lordship of Hamilton in 1445 as being a superior farm. Shortly after this the farm was owned by a branch of the Bogles, proprietors of Bogleshole, Daldowie, and Shettleston. This identified the origin of Bogleshole ford but still not Clyde-bridge.'

There was also a Bogleshole Farm but I can't find that, it may be somewhere else.

So Bogleshole Road went to Bogleshole, which was accross the Clyde just after Bogleshole Ford. Was it all named after the Bogle family that owned it all? Why Bogle's Hole? (I'm guessing that was the original name) What's the Hole part mean? Was William Bogill a descendant with a slightly altered name?
:?:
The hill goes up and down.
DVF
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Apollo » Sun Jan 23, 2005 6:07 pm

Simplistic thoughts:

The Bogles had something that was kept in hole and they used it to provide some sort of service at the ford, so the place came to be referred to as Bogleshole by travellers.

Bogleshole is some sort of abstraction of a combination of words in use oat the time.

Imagination wonders at Fishes Coat, bottom left of map.
Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Bogleshole Road

Postby CF » Mon Feb 28, 2005 8:07 pm

I found this about the Bogles when researching the area for my website on Clydebridge Steelworks - http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/clydebrisge

It is from
http://gdl.cdlr.strath.ac.uk/smihou

Which is a digitised book about the large houses around Glasgow in 1878.

In 1555 "is rentalit Jhone Alaine in xvjs viijd land of Daldowy Westyr, vacand be deces of vmquhyll Ihone Alaine, his fathyr, last rentalair; Isobell Bogyll, his mothyr, brwkand for hyr tyme." This Isobel Bogle was no doubt a connection of the numerous race of Bogles who had farms on the Bishop's lands in the district of Carmyle at this time, and whose descendants afterwards were the well known Glasgow families of Bogles, proprietors of Bogleshole, Daldowie, and Shettleston.
From very early times there were Bogles in Glasgow, and under the old archbishops in pre-Reformation times they were rentallers on the church lands. One of them was a churchman, viz., "Patrick Bogill, curate of the church of Caddir" in 1509.
The Bogles were rentallers or tenants on the very lands they afterwards possessed, but, with the exception of the Bogleshole branch, not till after the lapse of many generations. Thus, "Isobell Bogyll" was in "Daldowy Westyr" in 1555; "Tomas Bogyl" in the "xxiijs ixd lands of Chedylstoun" in 1510; and "Wylzem Bogylle" in the "xiijs fourd lands in Carmyl, callet Bogyllis Hole," in 1569; and many other examples might be cited of different persons of the name holding farms in the Carmyle district.
The Bogleshole Bogles at the Reformation became the proprietors of their lands. They held them for many generations, and were people apparently of some standing. In an old Scottish Act of Parliament of 1690 "Thomas Bogle of Boglehole" is restored from forfeiture. His name is included in a long list of West Country Whigs of both high and low degree. William, a succeeding Bogle of Bogleshole, died in 1756, aged twenty-eight years.
IV. ROBERT BOGLE OF SHETTLESTON, who died in 1790, married Mary Wood, a descendant of the famous Sir Andrew Wood of Largo, the merchant-admiral, who in his ship the "Yellow Carvel" defeated the English in many naval engagements. Largo (14) was granted him as a reward for his services. They had issue - (I.) Robert, who died unmarried; (II.) Allan, died unmarried in 1781; (III.) William, the Postmaster of Glasgow, died in 1806; he married Martha Marshall, daughter of Richard Marshall and granddaughter of Mathew Bogle and his wife, respectively of the Hamilton Farm and Daldowie Bogles. By her he had Margaret, who married in 1812 Archibald Hamilton, son of John Hamilton of North Park (see North Woodside), and Mary, married David Wardrop. (IV.) Jane, married William Clark of Kerse, died 1834. (V.) Susannah, married David Elliot, and died 1832; she had issue three daughters, respectively Mrs. M'Kirdy, Mrs. Wilkie, and Miss Anne Elliot.
(3) In Blaeu's map of Lanarkshire by Timothy Pont, published at Amsterdam in 1654, a house is represented on Daldowie.
“Perhaps the most awe-inspiring sight in steel rolling is a plate mill in operation……” Voest-Alpine Industry
CF
Just settling in
Just settling in

Re: Bogleshole Road

Postby M0nsul » Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:43 pm

Thanks for the history and links re Bogleshole. My interest is genealogy and I can trace my family back with certainty to William Bogle b. 1707 d. 1766 in Hamilton. I believe he was a Writer & Chamberlain to the Duke of Hamilton and that we are of the Bogleshole branch of the family. But having got stuck finding information I started to research other Bogles of the Lanarkshire area and yesterday came across an Old Parish Register entry for the marriage of John Bogle land labourer at Bogleholm in the Parish of Old Monkland in 1771. I wonder if over time the m has become an e.
Holm: (Oxford English Dictionary) An islet, especially in a river or near a mainland, or A piece of flat ground by a river which is submerged in times of flood.

Personally, I like this better than Bogleshole! Could it be a possibility?
M0nsul
Just settling in
Just settling in

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)