Clyde Model Dockyard

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Clyde Model Dockyard

Postby Boxer6 » Sun Jun 14, 2015 8:19 pm

Happened down the Saltmarket this afternoon and noticed Jamieson's Models have gone. Shop is completely empty, though the windows haven't been whitewashed, but nothing to say whether they've moved, shut, gone bust or what. Have to say, it looks a lot smaller inside than I thought it would be!

Very sad if they have gone out of business.
Some people hear voices.. Some see invisible people.. Others have no imagination whatsoever.
Boxer6
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby dazza » Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:54 am

Boxer6 wrote:Happened down the Saltmarket this afternoon and noticed Jamieson's Models have gone. Shop is completely empty, though the windows haven't been whitewashed, but nothing to say whether they've moved, shut, gone bust or what. Have to say, it looks a lot smaller inside than I thought it would be!

Very sad if they have gone out of business.

Seems to have been a combination of retirement and exorbitant rates and repair costs for the building. An ex employee is opening a new shop: http://www.scottsmodels.co.uk/
dazza
-
-

Postby Boxer6 » Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:14 pm

Cheers for that Dazza. I shall check it out.
Some people hear voices.. Some see invisible people.. Others have no imagination whatsoever.
Boxer6
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Nemo2001 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:59 pm

found this post by accident,have to make some corrections as to Clyde and Argyle models,they were two different shops,the Clyde Model Dockyard was in the arcade and Argyle Models was under the bridge,I know who owned Argyle as I worked there from 74 till closing,the Clyde closed and one of the employees ended working at Argyle in late 70's,Argyle was sold and owners moved to America and the new owner decided to go bigger and moved into what was the grain shop at the start of the bridge he also changed the name to Argyle Model Dockyard and it closed in 82,there was for a short time a model dept in Goldbergs and also Frazers,shop opened in Candleriggs by John Holt called Clyde Models which became The Dragon and George which moved to Parnie street when Candle riggs was turned into a carpark,Dunns Models moved from Paisly to Glasgow first at west nile st and then St Georges Cross,there was also a small model shop in High street next to the communion shop in the 70's,Avant Garde models opened up above a coin and medal shop in St Vincent Street not sure of dates on that but ended up at the Barras in the 80's for a short spell(its now a celtic style shop)later in the 90's Dand F Models opened in Bell street and Jaimeson's opened in Saltmarket and The Neutral Zone (predominantely sci-fi and horror related models)first in Savoy Center and then Great Western Road now only Scott's Models down beside the High Court who was an employee of Jaimeson and CMF Hobbies in Duke Street are the only ones,Beatties was part of the distributor Richard Kohnstam franchise similar to Model zone both of which have dissapeared and I remember a small railway retail shop round about wellington street back in the late 70's but not being railway orientated I cant tell you much about that one,after visiting one of the model shows last year I found out that the son of the original owner of Argyle is now back in the Uk,not divulging any names to protect their guilt...:)
Nemo2001
Just settling in
Just settling in

Previous

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)