The Buck Rogers Bar.

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby MadameZiggy » Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:40 pm

Love it!

Where the hell diod you drag that up from,HollowHorn?

Honestly,these forums never cease to amaze me!

Bit surprised at Twiki as oppsed to Tweekie/Tweeky.

Going to phone my perents tonight to demand why they never took me to
meet him & the rest of robots before the grand opening!

Have often wondered as well,how did they manage to get away with it,what with copyright,etc.? Or,was there a chain all over the UK?
MadameZiggy
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Pripyat » Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:56 pm

I was unlucky, due to the fact that my folks hated fast food.

A little bit more info....

http://glasgow.openguide.co.uk/wiki/Buck_Rogers_Burger_Station

That your wiki entry Fossil? 8)
"The nose of a mob is its imagination. By this, at any time, it can be quietly led." - Edgar Allan Poe
Pripyat
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fossil » Tue Aug 15, 2006 2:38 pm

::): not me on that entry. As for the hotel adverts the guys owned them as well.

Now the Adelphi Hotel was a "knocking shop" before they acquired it. I remember going down with them and looking round the hotel rooms. Rooms with various sex toys, dirty bed sheets stuffed in the wardrobes, magazines, Betamax tapes, adult clothing etc. you name it was in that hotel I kid you not
Anyhow they had that for a while then sold it to Robert Halpern [look into my eyes not around the eyes] and I worked for him for a few months*.

The Glassford Hotel [above Bennett’s] was fucking ace. The rooms were not a bad size with shower and lavvy. They rented them out for can you believe this £10 per week [£40 a month] _ But at the time their was no Merchant City like now :)

Other facts will be revealed once I remember them

-Fossil-

* He still owes me £50 for a night shift and £20 for overtime in the bar :twisted:

some stuff on Robert Halpern [ or ask yer maw or da or even Dexter SC ::): ]
http://tinyurl.com/zepzo
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby gap74 » Tue Aug 15, 2006 3:29 pm

I've got that advert too, it's in a tourist brochure for Glasgow dating from 1983 - although I pity the tourist who came here then!

Here's the (tatty) cover and another ad from it, and a pic of a rather blackened City Chambers....

Gary
gap74
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Tue Aug 15, 2006 6:47 pm

Gawwwwd now yer goin back wi BR in The 25th century. 8)

That was days before any macdonalds or pizza hut ever touched the city

I used to be a memeber in the Health gym underneath that place i think it was called the Olympic Health Studios.... then there was the Rock Garden Bar along the rd from there, used to have a big stuffed bear stuck up in a corner somewhere.

Anybody remember the 51st state burger bar in suchiehall st which also was one of the 1st american style burgger bars in scotland. :) the waitresses used to have on shorts , roller skates & a funny bellboy hat.
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby MadameZiggy » Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:13 pm

Awww,Mori! That 51st state burger bar,I LOVED that ,too.

I always thought it was down a stair near Greaves sports shop?

Probably completely wrong! ::):

Anyway...don't suppose anyone has got pics of either? As I said earlier I had a birthday treat in Buck's so I reckon it must've been the place du jour for wean's birthday treats back then & I'm thinking someone must have a wee photo taken there at some time.

I did have photos but my parents tenement was burned doon 2 years ago & they lost practically all their photos. :(
MadameZiggy
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby My Kitten » Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:29 pm

I remember 51st State too, was a bit grown up wasnt it? Nice burgers too. Was it up where Edwards and that is :?:
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby stx » Mon Sep 04, 2006 2:11 pm

Does anyone still have the photo that was posted 2 years ago? My wife mentioned this and I'd love to see it again.
stx
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Fossil » Mon Sep 04, 2006 2:13 pm

what one stx?
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby stx » Mon Sep 04, 2006 3:09 pm

On page 2, it looks as if AlMcGown posted a picture that was hosted on a demon account. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to be there anymore.

Thanks for the prompt reply, BTW.
stx
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Gazzathecoigne » Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:49 am

stx wrote:Does anyone still have the photo that was posted 2 years ago? My wife mentioned this and I'd love to see it again.

I 2nd the motion.
Gazzathecoigne
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: The Buck Rogers Bar.

Postby MAD » Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:24 pm

Me anaw, I absolutely loved Buck Rogers. I think I was in the restaurant a couple of times.

I think the entrance was right next to Tam Shepherds, which was used as the entrance to Betty Mayonnaise (part of Archaos). It was a very steep set of stairs up to it, if I remember correctly

I do seem to remember something about the 51st state burger bar, but canny remember where it was
Dance! Dance! Dance!

FUNKTIFEYENO - Big Chill 2009 Mix
http://www.mediafire.com/?gtlye2ymm03
MAD
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby munchinmac » Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:52 pm

Hi y'all

I used to work in 51st State, situated in Sauchiehall Street close to where, as said before, Edwards is.

It had a narrow entrance where you could see the 'chefs' cooking up the burgers and then it opened up further back with a raised section to the rear where the bar was located on the left hand side.
We did wear mini denim shorts and red t shirts and if you weren't roller skating, you had to wear as high a heel as you could suffer for waitressing. The point was to look like Daisy Duke if you could, all legs and big hair!!

The local beat bobbies used to come in regularly and sit downstairs in the basement staff room ( a broken table and couple of chairs!) for a wee bit of R n R.

I'd finish about half one in the morning then walk to George Square for the late night bus home.

I do remember the Buck Rogers Restaurant in Queen Street but unfortunately never got the opportunity to go inside. I did love it when they were converting the building to Archaos that they had the skeletons 'climbing' up ropes on the outside of the building with the hard hats on. Anyone else remember that?

Munchinmac xx
munchinmac
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby johnnyanglia » Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:11 pm

In Bucks Burger Bar they had a male and female robot dancer. The male one was called Kevin and went on to become a presenter on "That' Life" with Esther Rantzen.
Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings
johnnyanglia
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Vinegar Tom » Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:53 pm

It was a strange place.

I don't think anyone has said "beady-beady-beady" yet? :D
Glasgow ya bas!
Vinegar Tom
Third Stripe
Third Stripe