New Transport Museum at Riverside

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: New Transport Museum at Riverside

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:27 pm

glasgowken wrote:I visited today, and I have to say it was better than I expected.

Lastly what a pig to get to. Either a long walk alongside very busy traffic (great for families eh?), or through that very unfriendly underpass, eek!! I won't even mention the expensive bus service, what a cash cow that is for First.
Until they have regular service buses running through there or a new walkway across the expressway it will just be yet another event for the car drivers among us.

Bus Stops

George Square (North side)

George Square (South side, outside Visit Scotland)

St Vincent Place at Buchanan Street

Union Street (outside Poundland)

Argyle Street (at SAS Radisson)

SECC

Riverside Museum

Partick Interchange (Beith Street)

Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum

Fares

• £2.50 single journey

• £3 return journey
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby glasgowken » Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:36 am

:roll: As I said I won't even mention the expensive bus service, what a cash cow that is for First.

The point is with the old place you could get a regular service bus directly there from many places, or use the Subway, no special service with expensive fares or scary walks (i'm not scared btw ::): ).
It's been planted out in an area which is awkward to get to with little thought for the non car users. Now I'm not saying you can never build a new venue in an awkward location, just give some thought as to how people get there. Especially if you waffle on about evil cars.
GK
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:49 am

glasgowken wrote::roll: As I said I won't even mention the expensive bus service, what a cash cow that is for First.

The point is with the old place you could get a regular service bus directly there from many places, or use the Subway, no special service with expensive fares or scary walks (i'm not scared btw ::): ).
It's been planted out in an area which is awkward to get to with little thought for the non car users. Now I'm not saying you can never build a new venue in an awkward location, just give some thought as to how people get there. Especially if you waffle on about evil cars.

£3 return expensive? Normal fares are 90p for up to five stops and £1.80 single for more.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Delmont St Xavier » Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:57 am

I don't use public transport that often, especially buses but whilst £3 is not a significant amount, it is for some who are on extremely low incomes and tight budget. I would imagine that there are family deals for buses, but I could well be wrong (usually am).

If I've got the point about bus fares properly, I equate it in my mind to a few years ago, at the West End Festival, a balloon seller was looking for £5 for helium balloon, a family with 4 kids - that's £20 up in the air and no pun intended.

The Riverside Museum is not actually in the middle of nowhere - it was/is to be surrounded by other buildings but due to the economic downturn the plan for this area has been put on hold. There was a blueprint of it here somewhere, but despite using the search button, I am unable to find it.

On the plus side, the current site allows for expansion, the tall ship is now more accessible and with have increased footfall, there is a ferry now crossing the Clyde and in due course, I am sure that the whole surrounding area will be developed, it's just when?
"Listen, it's too big a world to be in competition with everyone. The only person who I have to be better than is myself. And in your case, that's enough."
Delmont St Xavier
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:06 pm

Delmont St Xavier wrote: .............., I am sure that the whole surrounding area will be developed, it's just when?

And, perhaps more importantly, how. More Glasgow Harbour shite?
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Delmont St Xavier » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:14 pm

Yes, but I also think there was to be a retail sector, riverside cafe...etc.
"Listen, it's too big a world to be in competition with everyone. The only person who I have to be better than is myself. And in your case, that's enough."
Delmont St Xavier
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby glasgowken » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:27 pm

Dexter St. Clair wrote:

£3 return expensive? Normal fares are 90p for up to five stops and £1.80 single for more.

Yes that is expensive for a one stop shop, especially for a family. And how long will these buses last anyway, will it be as frequent in the winter, what guarantees have been made to keeping it going even if there's a downturn in visitors ?

The whole riverside area sorely needs better bus links, not special buses laid on, but regular service buses running through the area.

Buses aside the walking routes to the museum have to be better thought out, as the darker nights come in they will be even more unwelcome.
GK
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:39 pm

I love it when people without families who either have a twirly ticket or don't travel by bus pontificate on what is expensive.

Two adults two kids £8 First day ticket usable on Riverside 100 service from anywhere in Glasgow.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby glasgowken » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:45 pm

I use buses all the time, and I don't have a twirly ticket. And i've dragged my nephews & nieces around enough to know how expensive it can be for families. Do you have a twirly ticket Dex ?

We've obviously become so used to paying through the nose for public transport it's just accepted along with every other expense in treasure island Britain.
GK
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Delmont St Xavier » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:45 pm

Dexter St. Clair wrote:I love it when people without families who either have a twirly ticket or don't travel by bus pontificate on what is expensive.

Two adults two kids £8 First day ticket usable on Riverside 100 service from anywhere in Glasgow.

My ponificating is based on what people are going through, those on stretched budgets and low incomes - if you had any empathy with ordinary people, you would get that... FYI I do have a family and can afford to use the bus, but use my car instead.

I just have this nasty habit of seeing things from more than one point of view - maybe you should try it sometime.
Delmont St Xavier
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:59 pm

glasgowken wrote: ..........................

Buses aside the walking routes to the museum have to be better thought out, as the darker nights come in they will be even more unwelcome.

Even after the clocks change it won't be too much of an issue as the building closes at 5pm.

On that point I've lost count of the number of touristy folks heading for Kelvingrove AG&M I've spoken to on buses. They are almost universally shocked to discover the place shuts at 5pm.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:00 pm

get off your arse and walk. if it makes you feel better, take the bus to the old museum and walk from there...
here i go, it's coming for me through the trees
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby Delmont St Xavier » Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:22 pm

Walking from South Street and along is good, done it many times. We sometimes go through Glasgow Harbour (Meadowside) and walk along to the new section of road and path...some interesting finds along the way.
Delmont St Xavier
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby droschke7 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:35 pm

If you walk through the Partick bus station past the Railway station between the station and the shops, there is a bridge over the express way, but you are right it is too close to the traffic for a family with small kids
droschke7
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby WeeGee » Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:09 pm

crusty_bint wrote:get off your arse and walk. if it makes you feel better, take the bus to the old museum and walk from there...

::):
It's not how it looks....honest
WeeGee
First Stripe
First Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)