A wee wander down HG Lane

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

A wee wander down HG Lane

Postby MacotheIsles » Sat Mar 23, 2024 11:51 pm

So... It was Maryhill Road then?

Just going back in time to that legendary thread which seems like a lifetime ago (17 years!!!). All those once familiar names, all too many sadly no longer here. Those were the days of the sunny uplands indeed.
MacotheIsles
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: A wee wander down HG Lane

Postby Henrysix » Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:00 pm

I’m gubbed that my street Kames St (once dubbed the smallest thoroughfare in the toon) was l o led down for Dixons Blazes Industrial Estate
Henrysix
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby MacotheIsles » Sun Mar 24, 2024 11:07 pm

How did Kames Street compare to Stair Street in terms of smallness? I'm trying to locate Kames street on a large scale old map without success. I know approximately where it was, but no luck.
MacotheIsles
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Henrysix » Mon Mar 25, 2024 12:43 am

It was a thoroughfare the width of a market barrow, the last turn on the left off Crown Street on the left going away from the Gorbals Vross!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Henrysix
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby MacotheIsles » Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:54 am

Got it thanks. Looking at the 1948-1973 1:2500 Georeferenced map. I see what you mean - apart from the Southern Necropolis there is virtually nothing of the original vicinity left.
MacotheIsles
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Henrysix » Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:46 am

Anything you gave on this Mac I would love to see
Henrysix
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby MacotheIsles » Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:15 pm

Henrysix wrote:Anything you gave on this Mac I would love to see

I'm afraid my Glasgow knowledge is a tad spartan. I'm intrigued by the nooks and crannies of The City though and was an avid follower of HG back in the day. All I could derive about Kames Street's from the map was a block numbered '15' and what seem to be posts (bollards?) at each end. There's that funny subconcious thing when poring over old maps that if you keep zooming in and looking hard enough you'll start to see the people of the time going about their daily business and the whole thing coming to life. Would that it were so.

And talking of old Glasgow... I live a good few miles up the Clyde and was searching to see if there were names for the various small islands in the river from Lanark downwards. I found out that there were some (called 'Inches') within the city boundaries. One of these was 'Whyte Inch' whose name has of course survived. Intriguingly there was also one called 'Ron'.
MacotheIsles
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Grahame » Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:26 pm

MacotheIsles wrote:... was searching to see if there were names for the various small islands in the river from Lanark downwards. I found out that there were some (called 'Inches') within the city boundaries. One of these was 'Whyte Inch' whose name has of course survived. Intriguingly there was also one called 'Ron'.

Downstream from Whyt Inch were Buck inch, King's Inch at Renfrew (where Inch castle once stood), and Sand Inch at Inchinnan.
Grahame
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby MacotheIsles » Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:55 pm

Downstream from Whyt Inch were Buck inch, King's Inch at Renfrew (where Inch castle once stood), and Sand Inch at Inchinnan.

Blimey - that's almost a foot!

I find myself in the fortunate position of owning a little slice of The Clyde, but no islands unfortunately. There are quite a few small ones here and there all the way up to Kirkfieldbank that I know of, and it would be nice if they'd been overlooked by The Powers That Be and all I had to do was plant the ancestral Mac flag to claim one or two. Wonder if the Clyde wasn't dredged again if those Glasgow islands would one day reappear?
MacotheIsles
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)