Kelvingrove Park - Chalybeate spring

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Kelvingrove Park - Chalybeate spring

Postby Chudleigh » Sat Nov 24, 2018 3:29 pm

Along the riverside path from the Dumbarton Road entrance, at the rhodedendron and azalea garden, are the remains of a cast iron drinking fountain set into the wall and bordered by a low iron railing. It is sadly dilapidated and overgrown with brambles. It is believed to have been formerly associated with the Gilmorehill Hydropathic and pre-dates the Park. Apparently at one time the Council was investigating whether the fountain could be made operational again. I don't know if anyone from the Council visits this site, but getting the fountain going again would be lovely!
Chudleigh
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Re: Kelvingrove Park - Chalybeate spring

Postby Delmont St Xavier » Sat Nov 24, 2018 5:35 pm

Glesga Council has a bad record of restoring fountains especially in Kelvingrove. I can think of 3 major restorations of the Stewart Memorial fountain in the park and now you never see the water running. It was claimed with the last restoration that it would recycle water and be functional and low maintenance. I guess the best way of low maintenance is not to run it, so the chances of your 'rediscovered fountain' being restored and operational are as good as my chances of becoming the first Scottish born, American President (though I'd do a better job)....

:D :D :D :D
"Listen, it's too big a world to be in competition with everyone. The only person who I have to be better than is myself. And in your case, that's enough."
Delmont St Xavier
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)