windows in conservation area

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

windows in conservation area

Postby happyandhippy » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:32 pm

Hello all!

I have been reading the home report for a property I am interested in buying. The property is in a conservation area but planning permission was not sought to install PVC double glazed windows. There has been no retrospective applications. I haven't lived in Glasgow for over a decade so out of touch with some things. Is it a massive thing that permission wasn't sought? Are retrospective applications generally granted? Contacted the council who of course said an application is necessary.
Any advice or opinions welcome.

Thanks

Angela
happyandhippy
Just settling in
Just settling in

Re: windows in conservation area

Postby crusty_bint » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:12 pm

it's not a good thing that planning permission wasn't sought, but replacing windows without consent isn't uncommon, alas. whether retrospective permission will be granted in your case will be down to the specifics of the property, i.e. whether it is listed in its own right or cited in the Conservation Area Appraisal as of local significance; how drastically the design and materials of the replacement windows depart from the original; their impact on the character of the property, street and wider CA; and whether or not a precedent exists.
here i go, it's coming for me through the trees
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby happyandhippy » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:22 pm

Alright crusty_bint! Thanks for your helpful reply. Yes, I was surprised that retrospective planning permission wasn't even applied for as windows were installed 6 years ago. Your advice is much appreciated and very useful :D :D
happyandhippy
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Delmont St Xavier » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:25 am

Although this has been noted in the Home Report it does not mean that the local planning authority know about it! Scotstoun and Whiteinch in the west of the city are just prime examples of where replacement white uPVC windows have been installed in a conservation area without planning permission.

I know from personal experience that when a planning official came out to visit my mother in law's street regarding a development on a property, he noticed many windows were not in keeping with the 'planning process' but as he was there for another specific matter, he couldn't do anything and he wouldn't do anything unless he was 'alerted' to the fact.

Perhaps he was providing us with a hint....'only when they are alerted'...
"Listen, it's too big a world to be in competition with everyone. The only person who I have to be better than is myself. And in your case, that's enough."
Delmont St Xavier
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby happyandhippy » Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:33 pm

Thank you Delmont St Xavier! I really appreciate you taking the time to reply and share your experience. Imagine there are tons of properties without permission for such windows. Thank you :)
happyandhippy
Just settling in
Just settling in

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)