Lion Chambers Building Shop History

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Lion Chambers Building Shop History

Postby Chipchop » Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:09 pm

I am beginning a painting of the Lion Chambers Building but like all my paintings of Glasgow I create them when I was young, late 60s early 70s. What I want to know is what was the name and the kind of shop it was back then. I have reasonable colour photograph of that time showing its wooden fascia but not clear enough for the name and what kind of outlet it was. If anyone knows it would be appreciated, thanks.
Chipchop
Just settling in
Just settling in

Re: Lion Chambers Building Shop History

Postby neilmc » Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:38 pm

Douglas the stationers occupied that site for donkey's years, right up until fairly recently.

Here's the entry in Sell's Directory from 1963, so is within your time frame.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
neilmc
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Re: Lion Chambers Building Shop History

Postby Chipchop » Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:04 pm

neilmc wrote:Douglas the stationers occupied that site for donkey's years, right up until fairly recently.

Here's the entry in Sell's Directory from 1963, so is within your time frame.

Thanks that’s great; hopefully I will complete this painting before they demolish it or it mysteriously goes on fire. Sorry that’s it’s just an observation that I seemed to have acquired since I spending a fair amount of time searching for images of Glasgow’s iconic buildings. The other most annoying thing is the actual dearth of images of some of these buildings that are now gone; it’s literally fragments that we have, anyway thanks again.
Chipchop
Just settling in
Just settling in

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)