Littlewoods

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Littlewoods

Postby Ken Maxwell » Sat Jun 25, 2016 10:58 am

I've been a regular visitor to Glasgow, particularly over the last five years (returned several weeks' ago on my latest trip). Way back in 1974 (my first time in Glasgow, visiting there with my family), I recall a store by the name of Littlewoods, located on Argyle Street's northern side. It seemed to have been located where M&S is now. Can anyone confirm this, or advise exactly where Littlewoods once stood.
Ken Maxwell
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Re: Littlewoods

Postby octavia » Sat Jun 25, 2016 2:29 pm

nearly right,but I remember it being same side of Argyll st.as you said ,but slightly more towards the junction with Queen st..
octavia
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby rabmania » Sat Jun 25, 2016 10:10 pm

octavia wrote:nearly right,but I remember it being same side of Argyll st.as you said ,but slightly more towards the junction with Queen st..
where Primark is now...
rabmania
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Ken Maxwell » Sun Jun 26, 2016 12:19 am

Thanks for the responses.
Ken Maxwell
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby ibtg » Sun Jul 10, 2016 1:56 pm

I just realised I'm rabbiting on about Littlewoods in Sauchiehall Street when you want to know where it was in Argyle Street - Sorry!!

Still, maybe you will find this of interest:-

Littlewoods was where Tesco is now and C&A used to be on the corner (next door) which is now Dunnes. The Littlewoods store went right to the back of the building. There was a raised area at the back which could be entered through the now sealed off double doors on Renfrew Street and by stairs in the store. This was the Littlewoods café. In the middle of the store, on the right-hand side were stairs down to a record and musical instruments shop; seperate shop from Littlewoods, unfortunately, my memory fails me on the name of the shop. Laterally, before they moved to under Boots in Sauchiehall Street, that became an Argos Catalogue shop. Where Primark is now used to be a small shopping arcade. I can only remember there being a Terley's curtain and bedding shop in it, but there were others.
Last edited by ibtg on Sun Jul 10, 2016 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
www.mycityglasgow.co.uk
ibtg
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby ibtg » Sun Jul 10, 2016 11:11 pm

I just remembered (I think) the name of the music shop. Cuthbertsons. It was entered from Cambridge Street, then down a short staircase and was a basement shop. It was also accessible from Littlewoods, as I said earlier.
www.mycityglasgow.co.uk
ibtg
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby dimairt » Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:01 pm

I used to meet my girlfriend at the staff entrance in Miller St. on Saturdays. That's almost fifty years ago now.

Durachdan,

Eddy
dimairt
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RapidAssistant » Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:14 pm

The Argyle Street one had a downsizing in the mid-2000s, when they shut down the Index (an Argos clone) part of it in the basement, which was converted into a JJB Sports; completely separated from the rest of the building.
RapidAssistant
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby calamity » Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:48 pm

Does anyone remember M&S moving over the street, think its Millar st. and the old M&S became Macys shop for a year or two then it was made into Chelsea Girl .
calamity
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby calamity » Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:48 pm

There was a Littlewoods cafe in Renfield st.
calamity
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)