DANFORTHs in Glasgow (and Clydebank)

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

DANFORTHs in Glasgow (and Clydebank)

Postby morgana » Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:51 pm

Hi everyone, I'm new to the lounge and hoping to gain help with research into my Scottish dad's family. He had an unusual surname, and for a long time his was the only DANFORTH family in Scotland after his grandparents William DANFORTH and Isabella (CLAVERING) moved to Glasgow from Yorkshire between 1881 and 1885. Their son Ernest, my grandfather, was born in Sheffield in 1878 but lived so much of his life in Glasgow, no-one knew he wasn't native. He married my granny Cecilia Beaton INCH in Clydebank in 1907 and it's through her I claim my longest lines of Scottish (and Scots-Irish) ancestry. However, my dad Danny (real name Walter John DANFORTH) joined the RAF at age 16 and never went back to live in Scotland and I only visited once during my childhood, in the 1960s. So my knowledge of Glasgow is almost nil. Therefore, my first question is: does anyone else here recognise the name DANFORTH? Secondly, does anyone know anything about my grandparents' home for over 20 years, 408 Crown Street in the Gorbals? I have so many more questions! But I thought I'd start there. Nice to meet you all, Celia Renshaw (nee Danforth) in Chesterfield, Derbyshire
morgana
Just settling in
Just settling in

Re: DANFORTHs in Glasgow (and Clydebank)

Postby Wee Harry » Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:13 pm

Morgana, welcome aboard, I am afraid I can shed no lighyt on your query, but born in Kames Street I will ask my remaining family, Crown Street is a main arterial route there must be someone!

best of luck
Wee Harry
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby morgana » Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:53 pm

Thanks wee Harry, I was surprised to see on a map in a book called "The Gorbals - Historical Guide and Heritage Walk" by Ronald Smith, that at least part of Crown Street was still there. I had been told by family that it "was all gone now". But I guess all the tenements went. One day I'll get to do the walk and see what's still there to see.
morgana
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby robertpool » Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:41 am

you could try the facebook page: Call Yersel A Bankie!
robertpool
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby morgana » Sat Apr 04, 2015 11:56 am

Thanks for the suggestion about Call Yersel a Bankie - I've had a look at the Facebook page and and it looks like good fun and chat there. Not sure I qualify as a Bankie myself but I shall probably ask.
morgana
Just settling in
Just settling in

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)