Crocket is to close

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Crocket is to close

Postby The Egg Man » Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:41 pm

The move by the family firm which was founded in 1870 is part of plans to restructure the business on the back of changes in the UK retailing environment.

The company said it will be expanding its retail premises in Ayr and will continue to trade as an online retailer via its website and through its contracts division.

But Crocket's long-standing retail site in West Nile Street will close its doors, and the firm will be holding a closing down sale at the Glasgow site over the next two weeks to dispose of existing stock and shop fittings.

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/news/u/gl ... 1424860605
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Crocket is to close

Postby moonbeam » Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:28 pm

So yet another long established company moves out of Glasgow. We are "promised" 1500 "new" jobs a few hundred yards away. Are these part time minimum wage. How many more shops will closer in Argyle St and Sauchiehall Street? I now go to Braehead. I am afraid I now longer come into Glasgow with the car. Glasgow seems obsessed with getting rid of the "car". So I now go to car friendly shopping areas.
moonbeam
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Lawman » Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:07 pm

Closing down sale, ie, reducing the prices to "steep"

I'm surprised they have been able to stay open as long
Lawman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby dazza » Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:26 pm

Lawman wrote:Closing down sale, ie, reducing the prices to "steep"

Their prices weren't that bad. Yeah, you could always browse and buy cheaper on the internet, but it was one of very few places which still had a time-warp appeal, which, for me, was always worth the extra couple of pounds. However, I've heard many people remark "Is that still there?!", so maybe not such a surprise that it is closing.
dazza
-
-

Postby Vinegar Tom » Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:35 pm

Oh dear, I've bought all sorts of things in that shop over the years and will be sad to see it go.

The most useful thing was neatsfoot oil for reviving dried out leather boots

Only later did I find out that the product name is literal
Glasgow ya bas!
Vinegar Tom
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Lawman » Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:25 am

dazza wrote:
Lawman wrote:Closing down sale, ie, reducing the prices to "steep"

Their prices weren't that bad. Yeah, you could always browse and buy cheaper on the internet, but it was one of very few places which still had a time-warp appeal, which, for me, was always worth the extra couple of pounds. However, I've heard many people remark "Is that still there?!", so maybe not such a surprise that it is closing.

Not bad for the odd one-off, but not ideal if you are a tradesman buying stuff all the time.
Lawman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby RDR » Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:44 pm

That's sad. Always useful, if you were in the city centre and wanted the odd DIY item.
The weren't always expensive, I once bought a Flymo out of there for an excellent price.
I also got an old fashioned ceramic ashet dish.
He advocated for the weak against the strong, the poor against the rich and labour against capital.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RapidAssistant » Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:59 am

Another independent bites the dust. It's a shame that these family owned businesses are disappearing, because they become an institution over the decades.

Yes Crocket's was dear, no doubt about that but it was one of those places where you could find stuff that wasn't the usual generic chain store merchandise.
RapidAssistant
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby dazza » Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:51 am

RapidAssistant wrote:Another independent bites the dust.

Well, not exactly if it's expanding it's Ayr division and continuing to trade online.
dazza
-
-

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)