Maryhill Tree in Chimney

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Maryhill Tree in Chimney

Postby hound dog » Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:08 pm

Bit of a long shot, but does anyone know the name of the brewery that was on Maryhill Road that had the tree growing out of the chimney? The P.O. Directory for early 1960's lists a Wm Murray & Company Ltd at 194 Maryhill Road between Hopehill Rd and Windsor St. under "Brewers". That's the right area, tho' the Glasgow Story website has it as being in North Woodside Road. Not sure that's correct.

The Glasgow University Archives has their records, but they seemed to mainly operate from Edinburgh. However they clearly had some kind of operation in Glasgow.

Even if anyone can advise how I would go about confirming that I have the right company it would be very helpful
hound dog
Second Stripe
Second Stripe
 
Posts: 129
Joined: Sun Jun 24, 2007 9:15 pm

Re: Maryhill Tree in Chimney

Postby neilmc » Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:50 am

I think it was Maclachlan's Castle Brewery:-

http://www.archives.gla.ac.uk/sba/sbacolls/gjm.html
neilmc
Second Stripe
Second Stripe
 
Posts: 231
Joined: Tue Sep 12, 2006 11:53 am
Location: Glasgow, SW3

Re: Maryhill Tree in Chimney

Postby hound dog » Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:30 am

neilmc wrote:I think it was Maclachlan's Castle Brewery:-

http://www.archives.gla.ac.uk/sba/sbacolls/gjm.html


The Castle Brewery was further along the road - Maryhill Police Station is now on the site.

The archivist at Glasgow University also mentioned McLachlan's and gave the address as Wyndford Road - that was the old name for Maryhill Road at that end.
hound dog
Second Stripe
Second Stripe
 
Posts: 129
Joined: Sun Jun 24, 2007 9:15 pm

Re: Maryhill Tree in Chimney

Postby moonbeam » Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:39 pm

I thought McLachlans had a place at Parkhead Cross. Down a wee road just off the Gallogate on the left just before
Duke Street. The road ran round to Duke Street. McLachlans Beer -Clean and Clear -advertising slogan.
moonbeam
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 449
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:32 am

Re: Maryhill Tree in Chimney

Postby robertpool » Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:31 am

robertpool
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 1038
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2007 9:46 am
Location: Glasgow

Re: Maryhill Tree in Chimney

Postby robertpool » Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:33 am

robertpool
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 1038
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2007 9:46 am
Location: Glasgow

Re: Maryhill Tree in Chimney

Postby robertpool » Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:36 am

robertpool
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 1038
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2007 9:46 am
Location: Glasgow

Re: Maryhill Tree in Chimney

Postby dimairt » Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:08 pm

robertpool wrote:Whitbreads had a place on Garscube road:

Image1925 Whitbread & Co Ltd, 500 Garscube Road, Glasgow by Robert Pool's Glasgow Collection, on Flickr


Whitbreads on Garscube Rd. We used to play in there at night when it was closed, despite the guard dogs.

Durachdan,

Eddy

Image
dimairt
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 944
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2005 8:53 am

Re: Maryhill Tree in Chimney

Postby hound dog » Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:05 pm

Thanks for your input and for the images gentlemen. Checked the 1960 Valuation Roll and Murrays of Craigmillar in Edinburgh did indeed have a factory at 192-194 Maryhill Rd. They also owned a yard round in North Woodside Road, plus stores and offices as well as renting out shops on that stretch of the main road.

Bobby I'm intrigued by that image of the beer mat since it refers to Murrays of "Edinburgh and Glasgow" and it's not their own brand - must have provided bottling services for other brewers. Do you mind if I download it?

I took some photos yesterday of some of the promotional material at the University Archives and none of it mentions Glasgow - all about Edinburgh. And it's their own brew that they advertise - "have a wee Murray". I would upload a couple - don't want to get in to bother over copyright issues though ? 8O
hound dog
Second Stripe
Second Stripe
 
Posts: 129
Joined: Sun Jun 24, 2007 9:15 pm

Re: Maryhill Tree in Chimney

Postby Guacho » Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:39 pm

If you took the picture, you own the copyright :D
User avatar
Guacho
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 556
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:22 pm
Location: Scotstoun

Re: Maryhill Tree in Chimney

Postby robertpool » Sat Jan 24, 2015 3:21 am

hound dog wrote:Thanks for your input and for the images gentlemen. Checked the 1960 Valuation Roll and Murrays of Craigmillar in Edinburgh did indeed have a factory at 192-194 Maryhill Rd. They also owned a yard round in North Woodside Road, plus stores and offices as well as renting out shops on that stretch of the main road.

Bobby I'm intrigued by that image of the beer mat since it refers to Murrays of "Edinburgh and Glasgow" and it's not their own brand - must have provided bottling services for other brewers. Do you mind if I download it?

I took some photos yesterday of some of the promotional material at the University Archives and none of it mentions Glasgow - all about Edinburgh. And it's their own brew that they advertise - "have a wee Murray". I would upload a couple - don't want to get in to bother over copyright issues though ? 8O


pm me with your email address and l will email you the original size version of the 'bottle label'
robertpool
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 1038
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2007 9:46 am
Location: Glasgow

Re: Maryhill Tree in Chimney

Postby hound dog » Sat Jan 24, 2015 5:21 pm

Guacho wrote:If you took the picture, you own the copyright :D


Not sure how that works as they allow you to take the pictures for your "personal use" - but I'll take your word for it and hold you responsible if I get sued ::):

Just need to work out how to upload photos...... :?
hound dog
Second Stripe
Second Stripe
 
Posts: 129
Joined: Sun Jun 24, 2007 9:15 pm

Re: Maryhill Tree in Chimney

Postby edward carolan » Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:18 pm

Great site for breweries, beer and brewing research
http://barclayperkins.blogspot.co.uk/
edward carolan
Second Stripe
Second Stripe
 
Posts: 153
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2007 6:50 pm


Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests