Helicopter crash on Clutha Vaults

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Helicopter crash on Clutha Vaults

Postby InkMan » Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:42 am

A helicopter pilot interviewed on Radio 5Live early this morning reckons initial eyewitness reports, the fact that the landing did not immediately bring the roof down and finally the fact there was no explosion nor any reports of the smell of aviation fuel suggests that this was some sort of controlled emergency landing. He went onto say that from a height there is a possibility that the black roof may have looked like a car park as there would be no way any pilot would choose to land on a building.

What a tragic story; lets hope the death toll doesn't rise and those injured recover quickly.
Cleggy you snickering floppy eared hound when courage is needed, you're ne'er around.
Those medals you wear on your moth-eaten chest should be there for bungling at which you are best.
InkMan
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby bAzTNM » Sat Nov 30, 2013 12:30 pm

Just absolutely unbelievable really.

Looks worse in person than seeing still pics of it.
bAzTNM
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby banjo » Sat Nov 30, 2013 3:01 pm

as one who pops into the clutha now and then i am in shock over the whole incident.please let there be no more fatalaties.
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby banjo » Sat Nov 30, 2013 4:05 pm

horrific news with the body count rising.i am hearbroken.
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Bridie » Sat Nov 30, 2013 5:06 pm

Deepest sympathies to all.
Truly awful.
Yes HH,I know
Bridie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Godsgift » Sat Nov 30, 2013 6:02 pm

Terrible news but the emergency services and the good people of Glasgow are being praised over here in Ireland for the way you have all come together to deal with this tragedy. My sympathies to the families of the eight deceased. Pray God there will be no more.
Godsgift
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby stevieboy » Sat Nov 30, 2013 6:40 pm

It has been announced that 8 poor souls have died lets hope there is no more and our thoughts are with the families and friends of the dead.
Stevie
In the name o the wee man
stevieboy
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Dot » Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:12 pm

It appears that the firm leasing the helicopters grounded all aircraft last year due to safety concerns.

How awful for that poor man who was checking all the hospitals in a bid to find his Dad.
Dot
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Guacho » Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:57 pm

All Scottish air ambulances were grounded today. same pilots and aircraft as the one which crashed.
Guacho
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby HelenD » Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:34 pm

If there's one that needs grounded it's the one that's up there at the moment providing images for television. Tasteless.
They boil them for 20 of their Earth minutes
HelenD
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RapidAssistant » Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:04 pm

Despite this tragic event - the way that everyone rallied around in the immediate aftermath to try and help the injured - in the face of adversity, we saw the city at its best on Friday evening and into Saturday.
RapidAssistant
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby bAzTNM » Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:51 am

Two helicopters were up in the air on Sunday morning. Got really close to each other and even got a "OOFFFTTTT!" from the watching crowd.
bAzTNM
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Alycidon » Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:55 pm

mercury wrote:The helicopter was flying about over Polmadie Road/M74 area for quite a while tonight.

To make things even more unfortunate it appears that the reason for the chopper to be in the area was reports of a trespasser or body on the railway line, something which later was found to be a hoax call.
[img]http://www.jhowie.force9.co.uk/emu314carcream.gif[/img]

We must perform a Quirkafleeg!!!!
Alycidon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby BTJustice » Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:23 pm

bAzTNM wrote:Two helicopters were up in the air on Sunday morning. Got really close to each other and even got a "OOFFFTTTT!" from the watching crowd.

I had noticed that as well, this was them moving appart;

Dave
My all new film location website is here;
www.rewoundandfound.com

Check oot ma flickr page;
http://www.flickr.com/photos/route9autos/

For handmade jewellery, go to:
http://www.weegemjo.co.uk
BTJustice
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby yoker brian » Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:09 pm

Turns out I was at school with the brothers of WPC Kirsty Nelis, who was killed on Friday whilst serving with the Air Support Unit.

I lost touch with the family many years ago , but still dosent lessen the numbness felt by the tragedy that unfolded on Friday night.

Spirit of Glasgow

Following the tragic events of Friday night in Glasgow, much has been mentioned about the spirit of Glasgow and her people in times of adversity, and the resilience shown to meet these challenges head on and support our fellow Glaswegians, whether it's the Clutha, the Terrorist Attack at the Airport, the Ibrox Stadium Disaster or the Cheapside St Fire, the spirit of Glasgow shines through.

I was reminded that the word Clutha comes from the Gaelic word for the Clyde, the river on which our city stands, indeed it is said the Clyde made Glasgow and Glasgow made the Clyde, from the tobacco lords in the 18h Century through to our world famous shipyards in the 20th century, the Mighty Clyde flows through the heart of our city, it brought many to our city looking to settle in the dear green place, as they fled famine, persecution or the ravages of conflict in their homeland, just as it was the last sight of Glasgow to many looking to start a new life adventure across the Atlantic or further afield to Australia and New Zealand.

To me crossing the bridge into Glasgow Central and getting a glimpse of the river says to me "that's it your home"

The Clyde divides the city north and south, but the Clyde is the life source of the city and it's people, simply put, without the Clyde, the city as we know it today wouldn't exist.

Glaswegians work hard and play harder, we're renowned for our sense of humour, and our fondness for the drink, but when tragedy befalls us, we get the sleeves rolled up and get stuck in, that was evident on Friday night, when instead of running away from disaster, ordinary people ran to the Clutha to help the injured, before handing over to the emergency services, who were not only having to deal with the event and remain professional knowing that some of their colleagues were trapped inside the wreckage, you won't find tougher people than the men and woman of the Glasgow Police & Fire Service, but they're human beings like the rest of us, and we should be eternally grateful for the work they do day in day out to protect or help us in our time of need.

The Glasgow Mosque opened its doors to allow the rescue workers some respite and to provide shelter to the injured and their families, a local Fast-food restaurant provide much needed refreshments to the rescue workers, local residents provided soup and hot drinks, a local hotel provided facilities which allowed tired and weary rescuers to freshen up or have a rest, others provided sandwiches and biscuits, a taxi company offered free travel to the friends and family of the victims as they visited the hospital bedsides of their loved ones, that to me sums up the Spirit of Glasgow.

Just as the River Clyde brought her people together from across the globe, the tragic events at the Clutha has brought her people together in mourning

To the memory of all those who perished, Rest in Peace.

Let Glasgow Flourish.
Milk Sucks, Got Beer?
yoker brian
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)