Aggressive Begging in Glasgow City Centre. Getting worse?

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Aggressive Begging in Glasgow City Centre. Getting worse?

Postby bAzTNM » Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:25 pm

Does anybody else think that the begging in Glasgow City Centre has went rather "over the score"? I hate the way the media try and blame the foreigners for causing the problems. I get more problems off the Scottish beggars than the foreign ones.

Underneath the Heinesmann Umbrella (think that's the spelling) is an absolute disgrace now. My old grandad (75) was chinned off a Scottish guy for walking away from him when he was in the middle of a "AM JIST OOT THE JAIL!" story. Young guy hitting an old man in broad daylight. Nobody did a thing apart from a couple of guys who were sweeping the streets. Scumbags the lot of them.

Foreigners, I don't have a problem with.
bAzTNM
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Re: Aggressive Begging in Glasgow City Centre. Getting worse

Postby RDR » Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:59 pm

Can't say I find it any worse and I'm in and out the city centre most days.
He advocated for the weak against the strong, the poor against the rich and labour against capital.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:18 pm

There appear to be more beggars nowadays than a few years ago and although I've not seen any aggressive behaviour towards potential contributors, there's a bit of native v immigrant conflict going on.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Lawman » Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:45 pm

It has been about 4 years since I was based exclusively in the town, but at the time I reckoned that if I had to give a couple of pounds to each beggar, big issue seller, charity worker/other...I'd be better off not working at all :|
Lawman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Mark N » Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:31 pm

Recession, austerity, cuts........surely it's no surprise that most of the population are finding it tougher and tougher, and those at the very bottom are pushed into absolute desperation leading to an increase in the type of behaviour the opening post of this thread described. Blame the underlying causes, not the visible symptoms.
Flickr-ing me: http://www.flickr.com/photos/dogdriller/
Mark N
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Delmont St Xavier » Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:42 am

In Byres Road, there used to be a man and a woman who would 'take it in turns' to sit outside Iceland or the Bank of Scotland, sometimes they would venture up to the Subway and up to Tesco's. They used to get shifted every day and told to move along but one Friday lunchtime they and a few others were rounded up and thrown into the back of a Polis van.

Rumour has it that they were part of a 'gang' which operates in the city and they've not been seen since, they were not natives of this land but thankfully, our native 'beggar' returned once they were removed. Sadly, I just don't give to beggars, street entertainers or Big Issue Vendors.
"Listen, it's too big a world to be in competition with everyone. The only person who I have to be better than is myself. And in your case, that's enough."
Delmont St Xavier
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby old jock » Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:49 am

I understand that a lot of it must be due to cuts etc:

Delmont is the resident beggar you refer to the chap that sits outside BOS at the cash machines, now with added dug?

Quiet and passive though he is, I get more irked by guys like him, he has been begging there almost everyday for what must be close to 10 years. It appears some regard it as a profession.

John
old jock
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:46 am

old jock wrote:I understand that a lot of it must be due to cuts etc:

Delmont is the resident beggar you refer to the chap that sits outside BOS at the cash machines, now with added dug?

Quiet and passive though he is, I get more irked by guys like him, he has been begging there almost everyday for what must be close to 10 years. It appears some regard it as a profession.

John

His career has never really recovered from an ill judged photo opportunity with the First Minister.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby old jock » Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:25 am

:) TEM

If you've got a photie or a link I'd love to see that

John
old jock
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby MotoMad » Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:29 am

The beardy prick who sits in the lane between Queen Street Station and Buchanan Street. Honestly detest him, that is a definite gang collection point.
crusty_bint wrote: i.e. they're not a bawhair away from Dickensian!
MotoMad
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:45 am

old jock wrote::) TEM

If you've got a photie or a link I'd love to see that

John

Try http://www.scotsman.com/scotland-on-sun ... -1-2263857
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby old jock » Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:39 am

Just priceless thanks TEM

John
old jock
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby BairnyBoy » Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:17 pm

Never had too much of a problem with aggressive beggars and I usually stick a bit of cash in a held out cup or whatever.

I really like the bloke who sits at the bus stop on Argyle Street, just down from the Trongate before you get to where Glassford Road is. He's just outside of McDonalds, next to the Tesco there (the bit where the bank machine is between the wall and bus stop and people have to push through to get by). I usually chuck a quid or two into his cup. He draws pictures. No idea if they're any good, never stopped to chat to him, he's just 'on my route'.

I've never been keen on the ones who wander the streets and come up to tell you stories. The "a couple of quid for a cup of tea" or the "need bus fare" ones do my head in. I had a manky looking bastard catch me out as I crossed a road on Union street, heading down to the riverfront. I was crossing in a crowd but I made the mistake of making eye-contact with this bastard, and I knew fine well that I was in for it just for being stupid enough to look him in the face. Skinny, scruffy, junky coupon - he was the epitome of the Glasgow beggar. I felt a bit sorry for the guy but he really, really pushed it.

He must have followed me for the rest of the block, I had no change or any dosh on me at all. I kept trying to explain that to him and he was walking next to me as if we were best mates. I got a bit pissed off when he grabbed my arm and stopped. Instead of giving him money, I gave him the last of a packet of fags I was carrying - maybe four in it - and he finally buggered off.
"He who learns but does not think, is lost! He who thinks but does not learn is in great danger." - Confucius
BairnyBoy
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby bAzTNM » Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:00 pm

Absolutely disgraceful that some of these pricks lay their hands on people. I'm not a violent bloke, but nobody is touching me.

I blame the fact there are more nutters loose today rather than any cutbacks. When did these junkie bastards have a job?

"Need Bus Fare" ones do my nut in too. There is one tall guy. Big Ginger fro, white t-shirt, specs and shorts on doing that caper up and down Oswald Street recently. He looks a big geek. However see his look change when you don't give him money. Scary.
Last edited by bAzTNM on Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
bAzTNM
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby BairnyBoy » Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:03 pm

The guy didnae hurt me or anything. He was just trying to get me to stop because I wasn't interested. He was badgering me, really, and I had nothing to give him but the last of my cigarettes.

But aye, I agree, when they get too in-your-face it's too much.
"He who learns but does not think, is lost! He who thinks but does not learn is in great danger." - Confucius
BairnyBoy
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Next

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)