Honorary degrees

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Honorary degrees

Postby The Egg Man » Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:32 pm

It's the time of year when people get given Honorary Degrees for no obvious reason.

Phyllida Law has just has one from the Royal Conservatoire of Scotland (Emma Thomson got one also - talk about a marketing ploy.........) anyway, Ms Law announced with some surprise that 'there was a piper .... and music'.

This was, after all, the Royal Scottish Academy of Music and Drama.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Honorary degrees

Postby robertpool » Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:19 am

some of us had to work for our Degree ... mines a BA in Electronic Business, what's your? :D
robertpool
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:00 pm

I'll have a Deuchars please.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby sandabound » Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:06 pm

The Egg Man wrote:I'll have a Deuchars please.

::):
sandabound
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Ruchazie Rat » Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:43 pm

The whole notion of Honorary Degrees are obscene. Especially these days. Students are chained to debt for decades ahead. On The Keiser Report last Thursday, (2nd half), he talked to a guest about on-the-quiet report the Coalition have been researching for past 18 months on the viabilility of floating student debt/loans on stock market. And they want to renege on previous assurances currrent students won`t be bunged in with future students, cos this`ll make it even more attractive to the circling piranhas -- sorry -- the investors.

Honourary Degrees? Pish! Why can`t these luvvies swot-up and earn proper degrees like real students? Too thick? Or too lazy? Both, probably. I could knock up an Honorary Degree for myself right now on the PC. But it wouldn`t mean a thing.
Ruchazie Rat
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:23 pm

Honorary degrees are designed to do no more than bring the media to an institution's graduation ceremony, an event which would otherwise be ignored by all except the patricipants, the family and friends.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Lucky Poet » Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:31 pm

We all know (or should by now, shurely) that it's just a form of advertising.
All the world seems in tune on a Spring afternoon, when we're poisoning pigeons in the park.
Lucky Poet
-
-

Postby Ruchazie Rat » Fri Jul 05, 2013 2:14 pm

You mean it`s a seedy form of procuring funds -- sorry -- investment by the unis, (e.g. getting the chemistry dept indirectly bankrolled by the MOD, getting the media-management courses (a.k.a. spin doctoring) clandestinely sponsored by any/all main political parties).
Ruchazie Rat
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby hambone » Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:45 pm

The Egg Man wrote:I'll have a Deuchars please.

that's a cracker ::):
hambone
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Lucky Poet » Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:56 pm

Ruchazie Rat wrote:You mean it`s a seedy form of procuring funds -- sorry -- investment by the unis, (e.g. getting the chemistry dept indirectly bankrolled by the MOD, getting the media-management courses (a.k.a. spin doctoring) clandestinely sponsored by any/all main political parties).

I couldn't hazard a guess at how much money they figure comes their way as a result of celeb degrees, but presumably they feel it's worth their while. Partly advertising their presence for prospective students, I'd imagine. Raise the public profile and all that. For all the charity status and so on, a Uni is in large part a business like any other, and they need bums on seats above all else.

I very much take your point about the shady stuff, but in a spirit of fairness, a lot of genuinely useful stuff does emerge from those places too.
All the world seems in tune on a Spring afternoon, when we're poisoning pigeons in the park.
Lucky Poet
-
-

Postby Ruchazie Rat » Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:58 pm

I very much take your point about the shady stuff, but in a spirit of fairness, a lot of genuinely useful stuff does emerge from those places too.

Agreed. Unfortunately, unis have been twisted from places of eglitarian learning into conveyor-belt debt factories. Poor students. Having to turn a blind eye to this "novelty" nonsense while struggling with harsh realities student-life. Degrees only mean something if you`ve studied. Raised your mental prowess. Had that process tested with a final exam. They`re a receipt of learning. Celebs mock this. They`re bunged a roll of paper and asked to say "cheese".....
Ruchazie Rat
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:34 pm

Ruchazie Rat wrote:

Agreed. Unfortunately, unis have been twisted from places of eglitarian learning into conveyor-belt debt factories. Poor students. Having to turn a blind eye to this "novelty" nonsense while struggling with harsh realities student-life. Degrees only mean something if you`ve studied. Raised your mental prowess. Had that process tested with a final exam. They`re a receipt of learning. Celebs mock this. They`re bunged a roll of paper and asked to say "cheese".....

I'm glad to see they no longer bother about spelling, sentence structure and the use of personal pronouns.
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby stevienoo01 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:13 pm

3 rd deg burn on my back from the sun
stevienoo01
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:10 am

Whats the average age of a recipient of an honorary degree? Its merely an acknowledgement of a lifetimes contribution to something meaningful, and dare i say, worthwhile... and if it raises the profile of an institution, then its a couple a hunner quid well spent.
here i go, it's coming for me through the trees
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby HelenD » Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:10 am

stevienoo01 wrote:3 rd deg burn on my back from the sun

:)

Surely you can only earn that the hard way? ;)
They boil them for 20 of their Earth minutes
HelenD
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Next

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)