JFK's First Public Address at Central Station

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: JFK's First Public Address at Central Station

Postby Bridie » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:40 pm

The British Pathe site has a video of Joseph Kennedy receiving the freedom of the city of Edinburgh award.
I'm not sure why someone in the audience shouts at 0.46
Can't seem to find out why he received the award.
There are other videos of him on the site.
http://www.britishpathe.com/video/freed ... ry/Kennedy
Yes HH,I know
Bridie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RDR » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:50 pm

Bridie wrote:The British Pathe site has a video of Joseph Kennedy receiving the freedom of the city of Edinburgh award.
I'm not sure why someone in the audience shouts at 0.46
Can't seem to find out why he received the award.
There are other videos of him on the site.
http://www.britishpathe.com/video/freed ... ry/Kennedy

Nice find Bridie.
Unfortunately the shout you hear is related to Scottish sectarianism, and a relatively famous incident at the time.
The individual is shouting 'we want no popery here' related of course to the Kennedys close association wih the Catholic church.
He advocated for the weak against the strong, the poor against the rich and labour against capital.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Icecube » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:32 pm

This is from the Mitchell Library.

The chap on the left is Sir Patrick Dollan, lord provost of Glasgow, 1938 -41 and the young man on the right is Jack Kennedy. The photo was taken when the latter visited the survivors of the Athenia sinking on behalf of his father - old Joe Kennedy.

The old fella in the middle introducing them is unidentified.
Icecube
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Bridie » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:15 am

That's a perfect find icecube :D as near as we can get to JFK in Central Stn.
Yes HH,I know
Bridie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Hamski » Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:56 pm

Hamski
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Bridie » Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:15 am

Great addition to the thread Hamski thanks :)

Did any of the local media cover this story, yesterday on the anniversary of his death?
Yes HH,I know
Bridie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:15 am

Bridie wrote:Great addition to the thread Hamski thanks :)

Did any of the local media cover this story, yesterday on the anniversary of his death?

It got a bit of tv coverage a couple of days ago.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby freebornjohn » Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:25 pm

RDR I agree. In fact the entire aura of mythology that now surrounds the Kennedy family has been carefully crafted over a period of time by various people - including Jackie O who invented the nonsense about Camelot after JFK died. The same is true of the whole Bay of Pigs and Cuban Missile Crisis fiasco from which one would gather the impression that JFK wanted nothing to do with invading Cuba after that. But documents declassified in the last twenty years reveal that his brother Bobby was a nutcase who had an obsession with waging a secret war from Nicaragua with Cuban expatriates and laundered CIA funds against Cuba. And that was going on while the CIA was working with the Mafia to topple Castro, and while Bobby Kennedy was trying to prosecute the Mafia. Meanwhile the Mafia were trying to halt the prosecutions and had plans to assassinate JFK during 1963 in Chicago, then in Tampa and then someone got 'lucky' using the same game plan in Dallas. To think that JFK was an honest soul and open book who had emerged from his father's twisted guidance is plain wishful thinking that is only fit for entertainment purposes.
freebornjohn
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby RDR » Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:20 pm

freebornjohn wrote:RDR I agree. In fact the entire aura of mythology that now surrounds the Kennedy family has been carefully crafted over a period of time by various people - including Jackie O who invented the nonsense about Camelot after JFK died. The same is true of the whole Bay of Pigs and Cuban Missile Crisis fiasco from which one would gather the impression that JFK wanted nothing to do with invading Cuba after that. But documents declassified in the last twenty years reveal that his brother Bobby was a nutcase who had an obsession with waging a secret war from Nicaragua with Cuban expatriates and laundered CIA funds against Cuba. And that was going on while the CIA was working with the Mafia to topple Castro, and while Bobby Kennedy was trying to prosecute the Mafia. Meanwhile the Mafia were trying to halt the prosecutions and had plans to assassinate JFK during 1963 in Chicago, then in Tampa and then someone got 'lucky' using the same game plan in Dallas. To think that JFK was an honest soul and open book who had emerged from his father's twisted guidance is plain wishful thinking that is only fit for entertainment purposes.

We really don't know what sort of president JFK might have ended up, but as you relate above, what had gone previously, didn't suggest, he would turn out to be quite the wonderful president, the myth that was created post his death.
In many ways both Truman and Eisenhower were far better presidents even if Eisenhower was famed at times for his inaction.
He advocated for the weak against the strong, the poor against the rich and labour against capital.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby freebornjohn » Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:28 pm

I agree, but actually I was responding to your previous comment:

[quote][/quote]Nice find Bridie.
Unfortunately the shout you hear is related to Scottish sectarianism, and a relatively famous incident at the time.
The individual is shouting 'we want no popery here' related of course to the Kennedys close association with the Catholic church."

In the USA, the anti-Catholic vote has morphed with the Evangelical vote into common cause over abortion and other related issues, and after 9-11, religious suspicion drifted to all things Islam. Today the Catholic issue is a non-issue.

However, I will say that from personal experience having lived in Texas (the "buckle" of the Bible belt as it was called), the people of the City of Fort Worth (just 15 minutes down the freeway/motorway from Dallas), is just about as international and integrated with a worldwide mixture of cultures as any place can be. (Which is far more liberal in that sense than present-day Scotland.) It is interesting to note that JFK touched down and stayed the night in Fort Worth before taking off and flying to Dallas Love Field airport and that ill-fated motorcade.

While Love Field still exists as a regional airport, the international traffic now flies in to DFW which is situated half-way between both cities which are called the 'Metroplex, and it is larger than the entire population of Scotland.
freebornjohn
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby moonbeam » Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:43 pm

JFKs dad was the US ambassador to Britain. However he was unpopular in the UK due to his perceived closeness to German interests. He had noted that FDR would probably not get elected. FDR did and Kennedy left rather abruptly. The Brits did not "take" to Joe Kennedy. I don't know if the British press conspired against him at the time. Perhaps JFK was sent to Glasgow to try and improve Joe Kennedy's image in the UK? Any thoughts?
moonbeam
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RDR » Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:56 pm

freebornjohn wrote:I agree, but actually I was responding to your previous comment:

Nice find Bridie.
The individual is shouting 'we want no popery here' related of course to the Kennedys close association with the Catholic church."

In the USA, the anti-Catholic vote has morphed with the Evangelical vote into common cause over abortion and other related issues, and after 9-11, religious suspicion drifted to all things Islam. Today the Catholic issue is a non-issue.

However, I will say that from personal experience having lived in Texas (the "buckle" of the Bible belt as it was called), the people of the City of Fort Worth (just 15 minutes down the freeway/motorway from Dallas), is just about as international and integrated with a worldwide mixture of cultures as any place can be. (Which is far more liberal in that sense than present-day Scotland.) It is interesting to note that JFK touched down and stayed the night in Fort Worth before taking off and flying to Dallas Love Field airport and that ill-fated motorcade.

While Love Field still exists as a regional airport, the international traffic now flies in to DFW which is situated half-way between both cities which are called the 'Metroplex, and it is larger than the entire population of Scotland.

Ah, I follow.
An illustration of West of Scotland bigotry, which still exists to a lesser extent, today. Seems the USA has moved on, we don't seem to, entirely.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RDR » Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:59 pm

moonbeam wrote:JFKs dad was the US ambassador to Britain. However he was unpopular in the UK due to his perceived closeness to German interests. He had noted that FDR would probably not get elected. FDR did and Kennedy left rather abruptly. The Brits did not "take" to Joe Kennedy. I don't know if the British press conspired against him at the time. Perhaps JFK was sent to Glasgow to try and improve Joe Kennedy's image in the UK? Any thoughts?

I think this was one case where the press reacted, rather than they had any conspiracy against him, in the first place. He simply couldn't keep his mouth shut when it came to the UK.
Certainly JFK was promoted by Joe in the USA on the basis that Joe would never have got elected, so it might well have been in the background as a motivation when JFK visited.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby freebornjohn » Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:10 am

The contents of JFK's pages contained between the covers of his 'Profiles in Courage' were, like the title, part of the carefully crafted image-building plan of Joe. Even if JFK showed up in Scotland more by chance than by initial planning, I am sure that Joe made the most of it. Joe did not believe in the accidental life.
freebornjohn
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Schiehallion » Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:28 am

When I started working in the old Area Managers' Office in Central Station in 1980, it was common knowledge among the older station staff that JFK met some SS Athenia survivors up in the old Station Masters' Office which is the office with the curved windows that overlooks the station above the pub (which used to be the Travel Centre) at the top of the Union St stairs.
Schiehallion
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Previous

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)