Postcard dated November 1st. 1932

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Postcard dated November 1st. 1932

Postby ibtg » Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:41 pm

And finally ........

from the Deaths column of the Daily Record, Monday 26th October, 1936:-
RENNIE: on the 24th October 1936, suddenly at 58 Marlborough Avenue, Glasgow, W.1., William Rennie (Manager of S.C.W.S. Printing Dept, Shieldhall), dearly beloved husband of Lucy Gillespie. Deeply mourned. Funeral tomorrow (Tuesday) at 2 p.m. to Hillfoot Cemetery. Friends omitted and desiring to attend, please notify S.C.W.S. Funeral Dept., 84 Morrison Street. Phone South 2100.

William's death was mentioned in the Board minutes on 30th October and a letter of condolence was sent to his wife and family.

From the minutes of the Board, 6th November 1936: - Mr A Gilles was appointed Manager of the Printing Dept - his salary went from £515 per annum to £700 and he was invited to take lunch with the Board.
www.mycityglasgow.co.uk
ibtg
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby banjo » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:34 pm

brilliant work,well done to all concerned.
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:55 pm

Yes, a spiffing good read.
Yes Bridie, you do.
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby weasler » Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:28 pm

What an excellent story and some brilliant detective work.

Just a couple of observations from the great work done by many here. Firstly it looks like Mr & Mrs Rennie were in a hurry to get married given the date of their wedding and the date their first born arrived(5 months apart), so possibly not the big hoo ha wedding that one would like, in those days. Not to mention the taboo of having a child out of wedlock.

Also it could be very difficult to trace any living relatives, given that it was three girls that they had.

Keep it coming guys.
weasler
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby ibtg » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:57 am

If everyone wants me to, I can try to trace any living relatives. (I've done it successfully from my family tree in the case of a runaway wife abducting two children, both girls).

I'm afraid in this case some might think it is akin to stalking. What do you think, guys?
www.mycityglasgow.co.uk
ibtg
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Josef » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:10 pm

ibtg wrote:If everyone wants me to, I can try to trace any living relatives. (I've done it successfully from my family tree in the case of a runaway wife abducting two children, both girls).

I'm afraid in this case some might think it is akin to stalking. What do you think, guys?

I suppose it would depend on whether Martin, our Oslo correspondent who made the original query, would like to make the living relatives aware of the significance (to the museum) of the postcard. Are you still with us, Martin?

The story might still be of interest to the descendants in any case. I've no idea, for example, what three out of four of my great-grandparents did for a living. If you could trace the relatives and ask for their approval to post, that'd perhaps be best?

If you did, mind, I wouldn't be surprised to see this tale showing up in a local newspaper.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby ibtg » Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:17 pm

I've emailed Martin and he is at a Board Meeting today. He says he will ask them and get back to me.
www.mycityglasgow.co.uk
ibtg
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby macdonald » Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:36 pm

I've just read this thread for the first time. YOU GUYS ARE AMAZING.
macdonald
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:13 pm

macdonald wrote:I've just read this thread for the first time. YOU GUYS ARE AMAZING.

Good to know all those years in the Stasi didn't go to waste :wink:
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby ibtg » Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:12 pm

Just to let you guys know that I received some lovely gifts from the Ship Museum today and I have emailed my thanks to Martin and the Museum management.
www.mycityglasgow.co.uk
ibtg
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Bridie » Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:31 pm

ibtg wrote:Just to let you guys know that I received some lovely gifts from the Ship Museum today and I have emailed my thanks to Martin and the Museum management.

Did Martin say whether they were interested in returning the postcard to any relative that could be found?

Wonder why the postcard wasn't sent?

It would be nice to see a picture of Mr Rennie however that would have to be with relatives permission.
Yes HH,I know
Bridie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby ibtg » Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:13 pm

Bridie, the management of the Museum have asked me to try to trace any living relatives.

I already know that only one of the three daughters married and will be visiting the Mitchell next week to find out if any of them had any children. Obviously , the one who married would appear to be the best bet.

All the daughters are now deceased, but I may yet find a grandchild or great-grandchild of Mr Rennie. Then all I have to do is trace them -- wish me luck!!

I will let HGers know the outcome one way or the other, but should I find someone, I obviously will not reveal any of Mr Rennie's decendants personal details on the forum. They may have a photo they would be willing to share, you never know....
www.mycityglasgow.co.uk
ibtg
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Josef » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:12 pm

ibtg wrote:Just to let you guys know that I received some lovely gifts from the Ship Museum today and I have emailed my thanks to Martin and the Museum management.

If ever anyone on this board has deserved lovely Norwegian gifts, it's you or/and Bobby.

May I please add my thanks to those of theirs?

If it does go any further and you feel that it would be wrong to post developments on the open board, I'd appreciate a PM, please. Ta.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Bridie » Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:21 pm

ibtg wrote:Bridie, the management of the Museum have asked me to try to trace any living relatives.

I already know that only one of the three daughters married and will be visiting the Mitchell next week to find out if any of them had any children. Obviously , the one who married would appear to be the best bet.

All the daughters are now deceased, but I may yet find a grandchild or great-grandchild of Mr Rennie. Then all I have to do is trace them -- wish me luck!!

I will let HGers know the outcome one way or the other, but should I find someone, I obviously will not reveal any of Mr Rennie's decendants personal details on the forum. They may have a photo they would be willing to share, you never know....

Thank you so much ibtg and Good Luck :D
Yes HH,I know
Bridie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby banjo » Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:31 am

i concur,credit where it is due.pinkertons will be headhunting you soon.
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)