Postcard dated November 1st. 1932

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Postcard dated November 1st. 1932

Postby robertpool » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:39 pm

l think your combined skills have just about worked it all out. "Dear Wife, just about to leave here for Skien. weather good and very warm. hope all well at home feel ok. tell the gang to ???. (leeward - shiping term?) gawd knows, it could be anything!
robertpool
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Bridie » Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:19 am

robertpool wrote:l think your combined skills have just about worked it all out. "Dear Wife, just about to leave here for Skien. weather good and very warm. hope all well at home feel ok. tell the gang to ???. (leeward - shiping term?) gawd knows, it could be anything!

That's probably about it.

Bring on some more puzzles like that ::):
Yes HH,I know
Bridie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:59 am

So when's the HG day out to Norway?
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Bridie » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:09 am

Dexter St. Clair wrote:So when's the HG day out to Norway?

:)
Yes HH,I know
Bridie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:33 am

I'd love to go to Norway.

And Finland, come to that. What with my avatar being a Finn, and all that.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby moonbeam » Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:23 pm

Last July drove from Bergen to Oslo! Fantastic scenary but the prices! You need lots and lots of money! Most houses have a flag pole with flag. A custom we could copy. What I found slightly strange was that Swedish visitors/ business people in Norway were usually using a very "Oxford" ie English style of English as a common langauge with the Norwegians.The Swedes I spoke to found Norway expensive. If you go to Holland I find the Dutch tend to use an Americanised English.
moonbeam
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Bridie » Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:19 pm

moonbeam wrote:... Most houses have a flag pole with flag. A custom we could copy.......

Might disagree with you there moonbeam.

Bridie
Norn Iron :wink:
Yes HH,I know
Bridie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby ibtg » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:12 pm

I was at the Mitchell today and had a look at the voters rolls.

The Rennies did not live at 58 Marlborough Avenue in 1929, but they appear there in 1930. They are:-
William Rennie, Mrs Lucy Rennie, Evelyn Rennie, Isabella Rennie.

They all remain there until 1936, when Evelyn and William disappear. Then Eleanor, Isabella and Mrs Lucy stay until 1939. After that, with good reason, the voters rolls are a bit sketchy, but I looked at the roll after the war years and they were not there.

I have researched them on ScotlandsPeople and William was born around 1878, Lucy (Gillespie) around 1880. They were married in Dennistoun in January 1904. He is described as a fancy paper box cutter and she was a fancy paper box maker.

Their first daughter, Isabella, was born in May 1904, when they were living in Apsley Street, Partick.
Evelyn was born in October 1906, when they were living in Hayburn Street, Partick.
Eleanor was born in August 1910, when they were living on Dumbarton Road at Whiteinch.

William died in October, 1936. He was described as a printer's manager. He died of coronary artery thrombosis. The informant was Evelyn, who was now married and lived at Ashton Road. (I don't know these people and yet this makes me sad)

Lucy died in September 1955, of cancer, and the informant was Eleanor, who seems to have lived with her mother in Randolph Road.

I got out some of the records of SCWS, but so far have been unsuccessful in finding any reference to William's (for that MUST be his name) trip to Norway. I will try again next week.

His name must have been wrongly stated in the P.O. Directory. I can't find anywhere he is called George, unless he was born William George or vice versa. I have looked for his birth. He wasn't born in Dennistoun between 1875 and 1882 - the 4 who were born are not him. It is too common a name to investigate further - could be too expensive!!
www.mycityglasgow.co.uk
ibtg
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby yoker brian » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:33 pm

ibtg wrote:I was at the Mitchell today and had a look at the voters rolls.

The Rennies did not live at 58 Marlborough Avenue in 1929, but they appear there in 1930. They are:-
William Rennie, Mrs Lucy Rennie, Evelyn Rennie, Isabella Rennie.

They all remain there until 1936, when Evelyn and William disappear. Then Eleanor, Isabella and Mrs Lucy stay until 1939. After that, with good reason, the voters rolls are a bit sketchy, but I looked at the roll after the war years and they were not there.

I have researched them on ScotlandsPeople and William was born around 1878, Lucy (Gillespie) around 1880. They were married in Dennistoun in January 1904. He is described as a fancy paper box cutter and she was a fancy paper box maker.

Their first daughter, Isabella, was born in May 1904, when they were living in Apsley Street, Partick.
Evelyn was born in October 1906, when they were living in Hayburn Street, Partick.
Eleanor was born in August 1910, when they were living on Dumbarton Road at Whiteinch.

William died in October, 1936. He was described as a printer's manager. He died of coronary artery thrombosis. The informant was Evelyn, who was now married and lived at Ashton Road. (I don't know these people and yet this makes me sad)

Lucy died in September 1955, of cancer, and the informant was Eleanor, who seems to have lived with her mother in Randolph Road.

I got out some of the records of SCWS, but so far have been unsuccessful in finding any reference to William's (for that MUST be his name) trip to Norway. I will try again next week.

His name must have been wrongly stated in the P.O. Directory. I can't find anywhere he is called George, unless he was born William George or vice versa. I have looked for his birth. He wasn't born in Dennistoun between 1875 and 1882 - the 4 who were born are not him. It is too common a name to investigate further - could be too expensive!!

Great work - spookily enough I was in the archives at the Mitchell today, but was looking at Town Council & Clyde Navigation records.
Milk Sucks, Got Beer?
yoker brian
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Bridie » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:39 pm

Great work ibtg very interesting and sad.

Mr Rennie was only 58 when he died.

It would be interesting to find out more about his trip to Norway, or what his job entailed.

I wonder if it was this paper mill he went to on businesss?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norske_Skog_Union

Wish I lived closer to the Mitchell
Yes HH,I know
Bridie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Pegasusflesk » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:46 am

Wow, that is some interesting and amazing info you have dug out for us!

I got an e-mail from a curator at the Norwegian Postal Museum today, and he confirmed that the card is stamped at the letter department at the Oslo Central Post Office, September 1st 1932.

Do you happen to know what church they married in? During my first trip to Glasgow i strolled in the Dennistoun area, and came across the Dennistoun New Parish Church. Could that be "their" church? That would have been truly wonderful!
And can anyone explain to Norwegian with limited english knowledge what a fancy box is? Is it lke some sort of gift box?

They seem to have moved around a bit during the eraly 1900's, but as far as I can see, they pretty much lived in the same area. Was that common in Glasgow? or is it just a coincidence maybe?

Once agian; thanks for you guys putting in so much of your time in this.

I found this photo showing the Viking ship Museum when the first wing was finished in 1928-29. This would probably have been what mr. Rennie saw when he visited Oslo some 80 years ago.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pegasusflesk
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby ibtg » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:13 pm

They were married in Lockhart House, Dennistoun, which I am trying to locate - perhaps someone could enlighten us?

He lived in Martyr Street, near the Necropolis, and she lived in Petershill Road, which starts opposite Sighthill cemetery.
www.mycityglasgow.co.uk
ibtg
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:55 pm

It was a place of marriage and may have been the minister's home but there's no trace of it online. I'd try Dennistoun Library.
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby ibtg » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:55 pm

I think that Lockhart was a famous minister at Blackcraigs church in Dennistoun, and I'm sure I read somewhere that he wrote Sir Walter Scott's biography. There is no photo in the Stenlake book 'Old Dennistoun' and I can't find any reference in Virtual Mitchell.
www.mycityglasgow.co.uk
ibtg
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby yoker brian » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:23 pm

Was it a religious wedding ie conducted by a minister or was it a civil (with or without the fighting) wedding?
Milk Sucks, Got Beer?
yoker brian
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)