George Square - removal of statues - objections

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

George Square - removal of statues - objections

Postby Chudleigh » Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:25 pm

I have just discovered from The Glasgow Herald that the deadline for the receipt of objections to the removal of the statues from George Square is 4.00pm today. If you do want to object, you can email [email protected], quoting 12/02178/DC and your name and address. The views of one objector have been set out at

http://marthawardrop.blogspot.co.uk/201 ... quare.html

Chudleigh
Chudleigh
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Re: George Square - removal of statues - objections

Postby dimairt » Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:37 pm

Today's Herald features an interview with Sandy Stoddart, the Queen's Sculptor in Scotland, no less. He's against their removal too, though comparing Councillors to the Taliban is a bit fanciful, nach eil?

Durachdan,

Eddy

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/home ... n.19542203
dimairt
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Monument » Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:54 pm

Hang on, the deadline for objections is today, but the plans won't be made public until January?
A vagabond on the way.
Monument
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Delmont St Xavier » Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:22 pm

I gave up the ghost in sending in objections - I've been involved in corporate/community objections and the plans still get railroaded through. It's going to happen whether we object or not (sadly).
"Listen, it's too big a world to be in competition with everyone. The only person who I have to be better than is myself. And in your case, that's enough."
Delmont St Xavier
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby an86 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:35 am

Saw Gordon Matheson describing "'unknown lifeless relics" on George Square. I assumed that he was talking about some of his councillors before I read what he was saying in context.
an86
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby The Egg Man » Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:45 am

an86 wrote:Saw Gordon Matheson describing "'unknown lifeless relics" on George Square. I assumed that he was talking about some of his councillors before I read what he was saying in context.

Without the published maps available elsewhere, how many of those celebrated in statue in George Sq could any of us name?
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby rabmania » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:45 am

I was privileged to have a teacher who took us round the square, telling us interesting tales about each of the statues. More than 40 years on, I still recall each name, and some of the stories. Besides, maybe we should pull down the City Chambers, after all, how many citizens know the provenance of the statuary thereon. :wink:
rabmania
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby banjo » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:08 pm

i say we take away the sir robert peel statue and replace it with our own sir robert poole.
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby ibtg » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:24 pm

I emailed an objection to the proposed permanent removal of statues from George Square on the day of the deadline and have only just received an email in reply, from the Department of Development and Regeneration Services, which said 'Please see attached letter'.

On downloading said letter, it is a document strangely divided into sections and the name and address in the section I assume is meant to be the recipient of this email is not mine, but someone in Ayrshire. 8O

If this is an example of their efficiency - I presume it's bye-bye statues.
www.mycityglasgow.co.uk
ibtg
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Monument » Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:55 pm

Should we try and get first dibs on the statues if they don't put them back?
A vagabond on the way.
Monument
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby fourbytwo » Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:57 pm

8O Did not lodge any formal objections, as felt it would be futile within City Chambers, who, no doubt have their own ideas of what they want outside their windows....
However, much in reverse of what seems to be the majority opinion, I would move the lot to 'Monument Hill' above the cathedral, where most of these 'dignaries' reside in body.
About time we got rid of these victorian relics, whose sole remit was either to spend some of their 'ill-gotten' gains from slave labour, or the sweat of others, to gratify themselves in the public eye.
Modern cities usually find a place for these relics in some corner of an unused park or field, and follow the public opinion of getting something Modern and unique, that future generations will have a relationship with.
But.....let's not replace them with tokens of similar 'plastic people' whose role within Glasgow has been to make money on the backs of others....
Better to follow the example of Dundee, who decided Desparate Dan was a better image to grace the city, than some General or Politician whose memory will be kept alive by erecting some effigy.....
Better a plant pot....than a Piss Pot...!
fourbytwo
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby banjo » Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:17 pm

good shout,we have lobey doser so can i start off with a couple more.i say rab ha and skinnymalinkylonglegs.
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby HelenD » Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:17 pm

Monument wrote:Should we try and get first dibs on the statues if they don't put them back?

Let's get first dibs on them before they take 'em away! :D
They boil them for 20 of their Earth minutes
HelenD
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Vinegar Tom » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:10 pm

I've said that I would re-home the Walter Scott Column in my back garden. I don't know what the neighbours would say about it though.
Glasgow ya bas!
Vinegar Tom
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:19 pm

See short-listed designs in Glasgow City Council's international competition to redevelop George Square from Wed 9 Jan at The Lighthouse open Mon-Sat 10.30am-5pm, Sun 12-5pm
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Next

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)