George Square - removal of statues - objections

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: George Square - removal of statues - objections

Postby beneld » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:40 pm

After seeing the pictures yesterday in the Lighthouse corridor .

Can we not put trees in large pots that would be movable but still allowing us to have shade.
Tartan surface ; were not St Andrews or Edinburgh or the Broons .So no to that
Water features ; you must be joking. You can almost time when the blue and green food colouring will appear in them
Council workers, or their private contractors , simply cannot install and maintain paving stones so who thinks they can do it on this scale. I am sure we will see them out with their hammers trying to make them flat for them to shift at the slightest rain or water feature use.
I actually quite like the idea of shifting the Walter Scott statue to the side or stick it down the counting house end to mirror the Cenotaph.
We need a George Wyllie to make our Square a better,happier and daily useable place.

The real thing that would make more space in George Square would be removing the City Chambers. Move all the yahoos out of their gilded offices in to offices of work and stop them preening behind the victorian facade. I am sure we can find plenty of vacant space around town. That new build at the Odeon would keep them close by but out of sight.
Have the apartment owners and hotel voiced their opinions about having more events outside their windows.
https://twitter.com/#!/ahaufstop
http://ahaufstop.blogspot.com
beneld
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby cumbo » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:18 pm

Just give Glasgow what it wants a 500 seater Greggs and some dovecots for the pigeons.
cumbo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby rabmania » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:56 pm

beneld wrote:After seeing the pictures yesterday in the Lighthouse corridor .

Can we not put trees in large pots that would be movable but still allowing us to have shade.

That's what happened when they put down that red surface. Then, a few months later, as if by magic, the trees, pots, the whole jing-bang, disappeared.
rabmania
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby MacotheIsles » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:14 am

For my money what's needed is an oasis: a wee slice of Central Park or a soupcon of Serengeti or a proper transport museum. The trick of these things is in the juxtaposition: the unexpected: a sudden stumbling 'pon magic in the midst of the urbane. No too much to ask is it?
MacotheIsles
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Bridie » Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:59 pm

The second one on that list has pop up cafes 8O and another design does away with traffic on two sides of the Square.

http://local.stv.tv/glasgow/magazine/ga ... amp/39323/
Yes HH,I know
Bridie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fat Cat » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:48 pm

George Square was once marshland. Let it just go back to that, more appealing than any of the pish on offer.
Fat Cat
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Bridie » Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:40 am

http://www.heraldscotland.com/comment/c ... e.19897501

"A historian told me this week George Square started life as a pond where our forefathers rid themselves of animal carcasses, much like shopping trolleys in town centre canals. This casts a bit of a shadow over those designs with water features.."
Yes HH,I know
Bridie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:00 pm

Bridie wrote:http://www.heraldscotland.com/comment/columnists/wagons-circling-round-the-square.19897501

"A historian told me this week George Square started life as a pond where our forefathers rid themselves of animal carcasses, much like shopping trolleys in town centre canals. This casts a bit of a shadow over those designs with water features.."

An article that tries to have it both ways.

The other issue is the statues.

For those shedding molten copper tears over their loss: name them. Here: Sir Walter Scott, arrived from Edinburgh; the Germanic Queen Victoria and her consort Albert; and English PMs Peel and Gladstone. I have no objection to their removal but replacement likenesses of Glasgow natives should be sought.

Classic political tactics, like those that go along the lines of "Everyone over the age of forty to be executed!" so that after the ensuing outrage they can claim to have been responsive to public opinion when they only execute everyone over the age of sixty, which is more than they hoped for in the first place.

I'd be perfectly happy to see most of those people de-commemorated too, along with one or two others. But no mention is made of the relevant ones. It doesn't matter one hoot whether or not yer average Glasgow punter has heard of Thomas Graham (say). The very fact that he is commemorated might - just - give them the incentive to look him up. If we go down the road of 'relevance', we'll have a bunch of monuments to the current centre-forwards for the greens/blues and whoever last won Strictly Come Dining With Me On Ice In The Jungle that'll have to be replaced every couple of years.

This is classic Weegieness. Remove every vernacular trace, and turn Glasgow into an unidentifiable Nowheresville with (allegedly) 'iconic' features that any self-respecting city had years ago. Wet concrete wastelands? You don't see many of them now, do you?
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Lucky Poet » Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:36 pm

She lost me with that sentence about the statues - William Gladstone can be summed up as an 'English PM'? Well cheers for that, A.J.P. Taylor.

I'd be interested to hear any proposal for defining a Glasgow native, as well. Certified copies of their birth certificate and at least ten consecutive years of Council Tax bills? Anyway, I now want to replace the monument to Sir Walter Scottish with one three times the size, just to see it stick in her big parochial craw.
All the world seems in tune on a Spring afternoon, when we're poisoning pigeons in the park.
Lucky Poet
-
-

Postby SomeRandomBint » Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:18 pm

At this rate, we're one Emergency Council Planning Meeting away from having a Pat Lally column in the middle of the newly renamed David Tennant Square...

Interesting that most of those designs keep Walter Scott's column there. I'm a little disappointed. I was planning on finding a good vantage point in the window of the Counting House to watch them trying to move that bu88er through the streets. At work the other day, we came to the conclusion that the only place they could put it was either Blythswood Square, or somewhere along High Street, because it's the only two places on a straight route from the Square. Unless they wanted to transport it by crane in an upright position. Either way, it'll make for interesting viewing!
"-What was all that then? - What? - THAT. - That was Glasgow"
SomeRandomBint
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:57 pm

The current front runner

I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby banjo » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:41 am

judy smalls golden arches sprung to mind there.whadyamean you have never heard of her.
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:29 am

banjo wrote:judy smalls golden arches sprung to mind there.whadyamean you have never heard of her.

Oh, I've heard of her - and Golden Arches but I never knew she'd written it.

Mothers, Daughters, Wives is a great track.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Bingo Bango » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:10 pm

SomeRandomBint wrote:At this rate, we're one Emergency Council Planning Meeting away from having a Pat Lally column in the middle of the newly renamed David Tennant Square...

Interesting that most of those designs keep Walter Scott's column there. I'm a little disappointed. I was planning on finding a good vantage point in the window of the Counting House to watch them trying to move that bu88er through the streets. At work the other day, we came to the conclusion that the only place they could put it was either Blythswood Square, or somewhere along High Street, because it's the only two places on a straight route from the Square. Unless they wanted to transport it by crane in an upright position. Either way, it'll make for interesting viewing!

The column is constructed in sections which would be numbered/identified, dismantled and packed, transported and re-constructed somewhere else....

...although if there is a flaw in that plan it is getting it back out of storage and not 'lost in transit'
Bingo Bango
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby RDR » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:51 pm

The Egg Man wrote:The current front runner

I thought the clowns in the city chambers were usually bigger.....
He advocated for the weak against the strong, the poor against the rich and labour against capital.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)