Bus Lane Fines (grrr)

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Bus Lane Fines (grrr)

Postby The Egg Man » Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:24 am

I think that's precisely what the bus lane east of the entrance to Gartnavel is designed to do. As I recall it's a 'rush hour' only lane and is designed to speed up public transport (and taxis and cycles) and if that means delaying regular cars/ vans etc that's no bad thing from the transport planners* point of view.

* I'm aware how funny some folk'll find that.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Bridie » Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:40 am

Delmont St Xavier wrote:Time is the 'essence' in your point and well made.

Ever called a plumber? Usually there is a call out charge and then an hourly or half hourly rate - even if it only takes 5 mins!
So a simple job of tightening a nut can become an expensive bill.

Our previous 'factor' once billed us and 'we' queired the bill and demanded a breakdown and explanation. It turned out that the firm charged for labour rounded up to the hour for two men (eg £27 x 2) and then fuel for the van (£5.50) for a 1/4 mile journey and then they charged for use of materials and so on and of course VAT at 20% on top. I used my car to drive from their depot to my place and it would have worked out at the then Inland Revenue rate of 0.45 pence per mile. Thus in mileage terms it would have been something like 0.11 + VAT.

As for the material - I went into Scotstoun Emporium and asked if they had the item and if so the cost, it came to something like £2.95 and we were being charged something like £68.00 and so the whole bill came to over a £100. Fair do's the company has to make profit, there are overheads but when we challenged the whole thing - the company came back with a reduced amount, claiming they made a mistake and overcharged (It was still higher than doing the thing ourselves).

I know it's not perfect like for like but that's often how they break things down but often we the consumer (in the instance of the fixed penalty - the unwilling participant) don't always appreciate how 'companies' work and there are other times that we know it is just a rip off!

Rip off surely!! - how many people actually question it or go elsewhere when the companies can't/ won't explain or justify it.
I was renting privately a few years ago and I was up against the admin charge when I was looking at properties via agencies. Some were charging up to £100 for a basic credit check. Even Equifax are at it with a £15 charge to tell you your score - only your score! ::):
Yes HH,I know
Bridie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RDR » Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:15 pm

The Egg Man wrote:I think that's precisely what the bus lane east of the entrance to Gartnavel is designed to do. As I recall it's a 'rush hour' only lane and is designed to speed up public transport (and taxis and cycles) and if that means delaying regular cars/ vans etc that's no bad thing from the transport planners* point of view.

* I'm aware how funny some folk'll find that.

I get the gist of what its supposed to do and have no particular objection, its the way the lane is laid out which I think will cause an accident as cars have to get very sharply accross two lanes very late on relative to the traffic light to enable the left turn.
He advocated for the weak against the strong, the poor against the rich and labour against capital.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fat Cat » Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:44 pm

Thanks all for your replies. True, AC rental agreement does state that hirer is responsible for all fines, etc. Not questioning the fine (if I drive in a bus lane then I guess I'm responsible!!) but just the timescale. Will phone tomorrow and ask for proof of payment and when. Will let you know the outcome.
Fat Cat
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Quality Mince » Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:18 pm

I got caught in the Venus flytrap bus lane in Cathedral Street a few weeks back travelling towards the city centre.

The problem with this bus lane is that it just suddenly appeared and as soon as I realised I was in it I braked. I tried my damndest to avoid it. But the lane has high kerbs either side of it and so I couldn’t just move to the lane to the right. I couldn’t reverse and I could not execute a three point turn. There are completely inadequate warning signs telling motorists of this bus lane and no information signs informing motorists on how to get to the other side of it. I had absolutely no alternative but to drive through it.

True to form, a week later the fine plopped through my letter box from the city father’s anus saying ‘Got you, gee’ us thirty quid now or sixty quid in fourteen days ya bastard!!’

This bus lane is nothing more than a blatant money-making scheme. I have written a letter of complaint about this bus lane but guess what; they haven’t even had the courtesy to acknowledge my letter.
Quality Mince
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby busdriver » Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:09 am

Bus Lanes are only natures way of telling you to stay alert and watch where you are going.

However, this maybe helpful.
Reguloj por la gvidado de sagxuloj kaj blinda obeemo de malsagxuloj.
busdriver
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:53 pm

I see this has raised its head again.

You'd think Glasgow motorists would have got the hang of them by now.

Maybe time to start awarding points on licences as well as fines.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fat Cat » Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:59 pm

if the cash raised went towards a better bus service then fair enough. a breakdown in the spending of this windfall would make interesting reading
Fat Cat
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:23 pm

Fat Cat wrote:if the cash raised went towards a better bus service then fair enough. a breakdown in the spending of this windfall would make interesting reading

Do you mean 'give the money to First?'
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fat Cat » Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:47 pm

The Egg Man wrote:
Fat Cat wrote:if the cash raised went towards a better bus service then fair enough. a breakdown in the spending of this windfall would make interesting reading

Do you mean 'give the money to First?'

I'd rather it was re-regulated but who listens to Glaswegians these days? Certainly not Glasgow City Council.
Fat Cat
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:56 pm

Isn't Bus Regulation a Holyrood matter?
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fat Cat » Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:11 pm

The Egg Man wrote:Isn't Bus Regulation a Holyrood matter?

Suppose it doesn't matter. It won't happen in my lifetime. As for bus lanes. They really are in the most suspicious of locations. There is one in Duke St which is specifically designed to get traffic going to Parkhead for the football. A total cash cow.
Fat Cat
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:34 pm

Fat Cat wrote:
I'd rather it was re-regulated but who listens to Glaswegians these days? Certainly not Glasgow City Council.

Might happen sooner than you think Fat Cat.

http://www.scottish.parliament.uk/parli ... 62835.aspx
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RDR » Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:46 pm

The Egg Man wrote:Isn't Bus Regulation a Holyrood matter?

Fishing again?
He advocated for the weak against the strong, the poor against the rich and labour against capital.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby gap74 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:28 pm

There are 24-hr bus lanes. We don't have 24-hr buses. No-one at GCC has ever attempted to justify this.

Dunno if it's still the same, but for months, the sign on the pole warning drivers on Argyle St that Glassford St on the right was a bus lane was bent to face entirely the wrong direction. Anyone appealing on this point would easily have won their case, yet presumably because few people did, it hadn't been fixed last time I looked at it.

Also, in the dark, or in the wet, the bus lanes aren't all that easy to see - some are faded into non-existence, whilst others (London Rd from the Barras to the Templeton building, for example) have never had their markings reinstated after resurfacing.

I'm all for encouraging alternatives to private cars, but this kind of cash cow stuff grinds my gears - especially as those most vulnerable to it are visitors to the city.
gap74
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)