Bus Lane Fines (grrr)

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Bus Lane Fines (grrr)

Postby The Egg Man » Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:46 pm

gap74 wrote:There are 24-hr bus lanes. We don't have 24-hr buses. No-one at GCC has ever attempted to justify this.

......................


They looked at swapping the signs and re doing the paint on the roads every night but it was just too dear.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 2702
Joined: Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:07 pm

Re: Bus Lane Fines (grrr)

Postby gap74 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:55 pm

Boom-tish!
User avatar
gap74
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 1532
Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2004 12:33 am

Re: Bus Lane Fines (grrr)

Postby Mori » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:24 pm

ET

Driver wins landmark fight over bus lane fine


A motorist has won a landmark appeal over a £60 bus lane fine after a five-month battle with Glasgow City Council.

Image
User avatar
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 3434
Joined: Wed May 04, 2005 1:05 pm
Location: Glasgow

Re: Bus Lane Fines (grrr)

Postby RapidAssistant » Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:11 am

The moral of the story is don't drive in the town. Which is what it's all about at the end of the day, but as you say doesn't help visitors who get caught out. The scumbags (2 motorcycle cops) used to sit under the Buchanan Galleries at Dundas Street catching folk coming over the Cathedral St bridge which is only a bus lane because the bridge is structurally weak. Maybe they are trying to use the revenue from the fines to fix the bridge......it's taken them long enough!!
RapidAssistant
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 584
Joined: Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:22 am

Re: Bus Lane Fines (grrr)

Postby Mori » Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:30 pm

ET

13,000 bus lane fines scrapped by council

Image

NEARLY a third of fines issued for a City Centre bus lane over a 14-month period were later scrapped, figures show.
A total of 4321 charge notices were issued to drivers in Argyle Street and Jamaica Street from April 23 last year, when the cameras were introduced, to July 31.
But 1333 of those penalties were later cancelled by council chiefs after appeals by motorists.
A total of 177,945 fines were issued to vehicles in all the city's 11 enforced bus lanes. Of that amount, 12,683 were cancelled.
Opposition councillors have questioned the credibility of the fine system and accused the council of turning the traffic calming measure into a "cash cow".
Motorists are liable to pay £60 if filmed at sites where number-plate recognition cameras have been installed, though the fine is reduced to £30 if paid within 14 days.
Recent figures showed drivers are paying out around £11,000 a day in bus lane penalties in Glasgow - more than three times the amount for Edinburgh and Aberdeen combined.
The council claim the "majority" of the fines were issues to private hire taxis, from other ­local authority areas who had not registered with the council
However it was unable to supply any figures to back this up.
The latest figures, which were obtained through a Freedom of Information request by SNP councillor Graeme Hendry, also reveal that 11 fines were issued to buses and later appealed.
Glasgow City Council said this may have happened if a fine had been issued to a recovery vehicle for a broken down bus.
A council spokesman said: "We rely on other local authorities to supply us with list of private hire taxis in their areas.
"There were significant delays in receiving these lists from a number of neighbouring local authorities meaning these taxis received penalty charges notices which have now been cancelled."
The highest number of fines - 24,858 - were issued in Cathedral Street and North Hanover Street. Of those 1487 were scrapped.
In the Glassford Street/Wilson Street bus lane, there were 41,847 fines issued and 4983 were later scrapped.
Graeme Hendry, SNP Councillor for Garscadden and Scotstounhill, said: "Bus lanes are entirely appropriate to help traffic flow busy areas and at peak times.
"However, they must not be turned into a cash cow and ­enforced unreasonably.
"It is important that the public has confidence in them and when one camera has 30% of fines overturned questions need to be asked about why so many of these fines were issued in the first place."
Only buses, cyclists, taxis, and licensed private hire cars can use the bus lane during its hours of operation but drivers have the right to appeal the decision.
Neil Greig, director of policy at the Institute of Advanced Motoring, has called for a "street-by-street review" of the policy with clearer road markings and signage.
User avatar
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 3434
Joined: Wed May 04, 2005 1:05 pm
Location: Glasgow

Re: Bus Lane Fines (grrr)

Postby RapidAssistant » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:57 am

Mori wrote:The highest number of fines - 24,858 - were issued in Cathedral Street and North Hanover Street.
Graeme Hendry, SNP Councillor for Garscadden and Scotstounhill, said: "Bus lanes are entirely appropriate to help traffic flow busy areas and at peak times.
.


The Cathedral Street one has absolutely nowt to do with traffic flow as no cars are allowed through that space at all - it's about the weak bridge over Queen St station. Wish politicians would get their facts straight before mouthing off!!

I sound like a broken record now, but the Cathedral Street bus gate really hacks me off.......10 years nearly because of a crumbling bridge that nobody wants to seem to do anything about!
RapidAssistant
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 584
Joined: Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:22 am

Re: Bus Lane Fines (grrr)

Postby The Egg Man » Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:07 pm

RapidAssistant wrote:.............

I sound like a broken record now, but the Cathedral Street bus gate really hacks me off.......10 years nearly because of a crumbling bridge that nobody wants to seem to do anything about!


Wouldn't fixing the bridge require shutting the station? We all saw the stooshie the suggestion of that caused recently.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 2702
Joined: Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:07 pm

Re: Bus Lane Fines (grrr)

Postby gap74 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:20 pm

The bridge is currently closed to all traffic and undergoing repair after Network Rail and GCC finally banged their heads together:

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/news/bott ... n.20518064
User avatar
gap74
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 1532
Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2004 12:33 am

Re: Bus Lane Fines (grrr)

Postby RapidAssistant » Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:42 pm

The Egg Man wrote:
RapidAssistant wrote:.............

I sound like a broken record now, but the Cathedral Street bus gate really hacks me off.......10 years nearly because of a crumbling bridge that nobody wants to seem to do anything about!


Wouldn't fixing the bridge require shutting the station? We all saw the stooshie the suggestion of that caused recently.


But clearly they can't leave it to rot either - at the end of the day it's holding up a Network Rail owned structure, and over a rather important set of railway tracks. You'd think if they can hydraulically lift a 10-lane motorway bridge over the Clyde to rebuild its piers without causing too much disruption, then this would be a doddle in comparison, but as usual it's turned into another political car crash (or should that be 'train wreck')
RapidAssistant
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 584
Joined: Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:22 am

Re: Bus Lane Fines (grrr)

Postby gap74 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:04 pm

Photo of the repair work currently going on posted by a chap over on Skyscraper City - shows the deck exposed and new paintwork on the balustrade:

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpost. ... tcount=212
User avatar
gap74
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 1532
Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2004 12:33 am

Previous

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 23 guests