Yet Another City Centre fire

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Yet Another City Centre fire

Postby Lucky Poet » Sat May 24, 2014 11:21 pm

:D Is it wrong that I'm jealous of a 4 year old? I had to be happy with pet rocks and uphill walks to school, there and back.

I'm heartened by Muriel Gray's statement, and it's worth posting as a whole, I think:
La Gray wrote:Statement from Muriel Gray

After a sobering tour and inspection of the interior of the Mackintosh along with Professor Tom Inns with two expert colleagues today we have a much clearer idea of what the situation is.

Bad news first is that we have lost the iconic and unique Mackintosh library. This is an enormous blow and we are understandably devastated.

But the most amazing, almost miraculous news is that the majority of the building is still intact. Due to one of the most astonishingly intelligent and professional pieces of strategy by the fire services, they succeeded in protecting the vast majority of the building, apparently by forming a human wall of fire-fighters up the west end of the main staircase and containing the fire.

Also after ensuring no lives were in peril they displayed an impressive understanding of the precious nature of the building, and due to their careful and meticulous handling of each developing situation the damage is considerably less than we dreaded. We have run out of words with which to thank them, but the school has most certainly gained a new gallery of heroes.

Tragically many students have lost some or all of their work, but many others have had theirs preserved, and curators and academic staff can expect to be allowed to enter the building in the next few days to try and assess what can be salvaged.

The joy that our archives are safe combines with the delight in seeing most of our beloved building bruised and battered but most certainly not destroyed.

As for the library, Mackintosh was not famous for working in precious materials. It was his vision that was precious and we are confident that we can recreate what was lost as faithfully as possible.
Our main concern right now is the welfare of the students and the impending graduation and everyone is working hard together to achieve the best outcome for all.

I don’t think I have ever been prouder of being part of institution over these last two days. It’s not just been the amazing team work, professionalism and support that everyone involved with GSA have demonstrated, but the warmth of support and help from the wider public and all our friends across the world has astonished us. We‘d like to thank everyone from the depths of our hearts.

What a grand statement - particularly the tribute to the firefighters. And the archives are safe. Chapeau!

That building absolutely must be restored, to every last detail, exactly as it was, as new. Just because. Those poor students who have lost all their work though - words fail.
All the world seems in tune on a Spring afternoon, when we're poisoning pigeons in the park.
Lucky Poet
-
-

Postby Mark N » Sun May 25, 2014 7:49 pm

Flickr-ing me: http://www.flickr.com/photos/dogdriller/
Mark N
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RapidAssistant » Mon May 26, 2014 11:49 am

It's just not good at all.....a tragedy for GSA, and the city. At least the building can be saved, that's the main thing.
RapidAssistant
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Lawman » Mon May 26, 2014 3:18 pm

Horrible situation, but the school has the unique advantage that almost every detail of the building, especially the library, will have been photographed and drawn many times and from many different perspectives.

The images from the students and staff, past and present, just have to be compiled and then rebuilt to give a faithful replica of what has been lost.
Lawman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Targer » Tue May 27, 2014 2:13 am

What's with the donations does no one carry insurance anymore?
Targer
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby RapidAssistant » Tue May 27, 2014 11:28 am

Targer wrote:What's with the donations does no one carry insurance anymore?

You'd be surprised at the number of academic buildings that are either under insured, or uninsured owing to budgetary constraints. When I worked at Strathclyde Uni, I remember when the sports centre at Jordanhill burnt down - word soon got out that the buildings had no insurance on them at all.
RapidAssistant
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Tue May 27, 2014 7:03 pm

RapidAssistant wrote:

You'd be surprised at the number of academic buildings that are either under insured, or uninsured owing to budgetary constraints. When I worked at Strathclyde Uni, I remember when the sports centre at Jordanhill burnt down - word soon got out that the buildings had no insurance on them at all.

I was under the impression that, certainly in Ye Olden Days, local authorities self-insured academic buildings, because the average annual cost of replacement was less than the average annual cost of insurance.

I suppose it depends on the estate size, which after all is how insurance companies work.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby dazza » Wed May 28, 2014 2:34 pm

...and yet another school.

Broomloan Road Primary School
dazza
-
-

Postby RDR » Thu May 29, 2014 8:56 am

Josef wrote:
RapidAssistant wrote:

I was under the impression that, certainly in Ye Olden Days, local authorities self-insured academic buildings, because the average annual cost of replacement was less than the average annual cost of insurance.

I suppose it depends on the estate size, which after all is how insurance companies work.

Certainly the case in older NHS estate. Wouldn't be sure about the situation in NHS PFI builds (Wishaw or Hairmyers for instance) where the building isn't actually owned by the NHS.
He advocated for the weak against the strong, the poor against the rich and labour against capital.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RapidAssistant » Thu May 29, 2014 4:01 pm

With all that said, however - you would think that with the prestige of the Mackintosh building they'd have it insured to the hilt!
RapidAssistant
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby pingu » Fri May 30, 2014 2:01 pm

RapidAssistant wrote:With all that said, however - you would think that with the prestige of the Mackintosh building they'd have it insured to the hilt!

i had heard a while ago...(way before the fire) that because of its status and lack of modern fire equipment and monitoring equipment that the building was "practically un-insurable"

dont know how true that is right enough.

i doubt theyl be struggling for cash to fix it though
toot toot
pingu
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Guacho » Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:49 pm

Inn on the Green reported to be on fire :(
Guacho
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby tobester » Tue Jun 03, 2014 2:40 pm

Guacho wrote:Inn on the Green reported to be on fire :(

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-27679666
tobester
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Guacho » Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:07 pm

Imagethornwood primary by guachglw, on Flickr
Pic courtesy of Arwen Donnelly
Guacho
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby dazza » Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:12 pm

And one of the remaining buildings at Blawarthill Hospital was torched last month: http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/watch-fire-guts-former-glasgow-5903573
dazza
-
-

Previous

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)