Skeleton.

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Skeleton.

Postby gap74 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:47 am

Here you go, junction of Queen Mary Street and London Road, Bridgeton - front page of the Dec 14th 1970 Evening Times (there's a wee bit in the following day's edition too if you search that on the archive):

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=2 ... page&hl=en
gap74
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Huggy » Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:15 pm

Well done guys, excellent site this. Death can be fatal!
Huggy
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Bridie » Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:41 pm

Yes HH,I know
Bridie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby pwm437 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:04 pm

I've been doing a bit of digging on this one. Using my Kelly's Directory from 1928 I think there are two possibilities for the 'skeleton in the lum'. The remains were discovered according to the reports at the junction of London Road and Queen Mary Street. At number 796, right on the corner, was the offices of The Baltic Loan Company, money lenders. This office was above a pub run by John McDonald, and was later known as The Cot Bar. Next to this, and slightly to the west of the corner, at number 790 London Road was a pawnbrokers, the premises of Joseph N. Doyle.

Given the description of the location 'corner of London Road and Queen Mary Street' I would be inclined to think the robber's target may have been the money lenders rather than the pawnbrokers.

In truth, we will never know, but intriguing nonetheless.
pwm437
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby BA55 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:15 pm

A wee bit out of our geographical area and slightly off topic for which apologies but might be of some interest. I seem to remember about 35 years ago punters in Livingston Shopping Centre noticed a rather nasty smell which gradually got so bad the police (not sure why them) were called in to investigate. They found a body jammed in the middle of the air conditioning vent system. Reckoned he had crawled in trying to break into the centre at the weekend (not too much opened on Sunday in those days) and fallen into one of the "dead ends" (sorry) head first and had been unable to get back out, so had perished. Can think of more pleasurable ways to go. Believe that one or two of the constables involved in the discovery/recovery were rather ill.
BA55
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby pamd » Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:45 am

My treasures do not ching together or glitter. They gleam in the sun and neigh in the night - Bedouin proverb
pamd
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Huggy » Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:25 pm

He should have screwed the nut and used a skeleton key!
Huggy
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby janetjust » Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:11 pm

this was in 1965 I lived at 796 London rd next door to the pawn shop my mum n dad notified the police cathie n Sammy Anderson they were called
janetjust
Just settling in
Just settling in

Previous

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)