Bluevale/Whitevale Demolition

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Bluevale/Whitevale Demolition

Postby Vinegar Tom » Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:08 pm

You would be surprised at how small a footprint they can drop them into. As for the preparations, utility diversions have already been looked at but not sure of the exact date. I would be surprised if they are there by the time of the games.
Glasgow ya bas!
Vinegar Tom
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fat Cat » Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:21 pm

Vinegar Tom wrote:You would be surprised at how small a footprint they can drop them into. As for the preparations, utility diversions have already been looked at but not sure of the exact date. I would be surprised if they are there by the time of the games.

One of the blocks looks completely empty. Where'd everyone go?
Fat Cat
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Vinegar Tom » Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:14 pm

The former tenants have been dispersed to other GHA properties throughout the city.
Glasgow ya bas!
Vinegar Tom
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby train driver » Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:45 am

i passed them at midnight earlier & took a pic, there wasn't any lights on the on the north side of whitevale but there was a few lights on the south side, as for bluevale, theres a lot more lights on that block but theyre mostly on the south & west side.

train driver
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Ally Doll » Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:28 pm

Whitevale only has one resident left, there are a few more in Bluevale. They should be getting re-housed in the properties being built on the other side of Whitevale Street, next to the railway line.
Ally Doll
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Ruchazie Rat » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:24 pm

Originally, March demo. Then April. (GHA... eh? Supposed to be temp org. Supposed to clusterburst into smaller hous assocs. Decade on... still here! Now building new houses!).

During day you can see most of south blocks` windows are steel-shuttered. You`ll know when end`s nigh: concrete balconies will be stripped to bone. Tough call: usual 2am blast good for railway line and Millerston St. But so much housing built up around two towers over past decades... (Probably just decamp everyone for few hours).
Ruchazie Rat
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:29 pm

Ruchazie Rat wrote:Originally, March demo. Then April. (GHA... eh? Supposed to be temp org. Supposed to clusterburst into smaller hous assocs. Decade on... still here! Now building new houses!).

................ .

Given the sums the board of GHA (and their masters at Wheatley Housing Group) are paying themselves - it's hardly surprising they're in no hurry to being their organisation to an end.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RapidAssistant » Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:04 pm

The Egg Man wrote:
Ruchazie Rat wrote:Originally, March demo. Then April. (GHA... eh? Supposed to be temp org. Supposed to clusterburst into smaller hous assocs. Decade on... still here! Now building new houses!).

................ .

Given the sums the board of GHA (and their masters at Wheatley Housing Group) are paying themselves - it's hardly surprising they're in no hurry to being their organisation to an end.

Putting the politics aside - when you consider that a lot of what the GHA has done so far is demolish stuff - these blowdowns/nibbledowns cost a lot of money to carry out (Red Road alone must be costing millions), far too much for the little HAs to afford. Difficult blowdowns which involve closing railway lines and major roads must cost a lot more in terms of all the logistics, insurance, compensation and sheer admin and legal complexities which most of us armchair experts probably don't appreciate - also consider that given the GHA was originally part of the Council, they must still have a lot of the expertise in handling this sort of thing.

But how the economics of it all works out is intriguing to say the least.
RapidAssistant
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:12 pm

RapidAssistant wrote: ...............Difficult blowdowns which involve closing railway lines and major roads must cost a lot more in terms of all the logistics, insurance, compensation and sheer admin and legal complexities which most of us armchair experts probably don't appreciate - also consider that given the GHA was originally part of the Council, they must still have a lot of the expertise in handling this sort of thing.

That doesn't necessarily follow.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby edward carolan » Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:45 pm

Value of the site?
edward carolan
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:50 pm

The bit of ground the multis at Blythswood Court stand on belongs to the developer (Bovis?).
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RapidAssistant » Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:57 am

The Egg Man wrote:The bit of ground the multis at Blythswood Court stand on belongs to the developer (Bovis?).

Every site is different I suppose. The city centre tower blocks are a lot more lucrative for developers as if they are still salvageable and in good nick you can sell them privately - I've seen flats in the Dundasvale multis on the market now. I'm surprised B.C hasn't gone the same way.

The Bluevale/Whitevale towers don't have a lot going for them, even if they were structurally sound and weren't so damn ugly.
RapidAssistant
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Vinegar Tom » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:08 pm

RapidAssistant wrote:The Bluevale/Whitevale towers don't have a lot going for them, even if they were structurally sound and weren't so damn ugly.

What! You cannot be serious about Glasgow's most distinctive towers? I would knock down the rest and keep the Gallowgate Twins as a monument to Brutalism.
Glasgow ya bas!
Vinegar Tom
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RapidAssistant » Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:16 am

Vinegar Tom wrote:
RapidAssistant wrote:The Bluevale/Whitevale towers don't have a lot going for them, even if they were structurally sound and weren't so damn ugly.

What! You cannot be serious about Glasgow's most distinctive towers? I would knock down the rest and keep the Gallowgate Twins as a monument to Brutalism.

I agree they are a great piece of Brutalist architecture in the same way that Hutchesontown C flats in the Gorbals were - and from a distance they do look striking (not to mention that scary resemblence they have to a certain other pair of twin towers if you screw your eyes up) - I will definately miss them when they are no longer there - BUT when you get up close to them you can really see how horrible and decayed they have become. Same goes for Red Road as well.
RapidAssistant
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby InkMan » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:36 am

RapidAssistant wrote:
Vinegar Tom wrote:

I agree they are a great piece of Brutalist architecture in the same way that Hutchesontown C flats in the Gorbals were - and from a distance they do look striking (not to mention that scary resemblence they have to a certain other pair of twin towers if you screw your eyes up) - I will definately miss them when they are no longer there - BUT when you get up close to them you can really see how horrible and decayed they have become. Same goes for Red Road as well.

Great point. These flats have always fascinated me having past them on an almost daily basis for almost twenty years. I don't want to come across all Brian Sewell in his lament to the (at that time) soon to be demolished Queen Elizabeth flats in the gorbals but they are beautiful in their own way.

Raises the age old question of whether investment when the cracks started to appear should or could have been made; maybe it was but no one here, the Other Place or elsewhere seems to be able to answer that.

Shuggy
Cleggy you snickering floppy eared hound when courage is needed, you're ne'er around.
Those medals you wear on your moth-eaten chest should be there for bungling at which you are best.
InkMan
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)