Choose 3 buildings you'd like to introduce to a bulldozer!

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby Kirsty » Wed Sep 08, 2004 5:24 pm

Ohhh lets see...

St Enochs Centre

Charlotte Street School ( THEY say it is listed)

All multi storey flats.

Kirsty
Kirsty
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Closet Classicist » Wed Sep 08, 2004 7:09 pm

Not a building per se but the new street furniture / road layouts / signage by the roads department at both Argyll Street / Minerva street / Finneston Street junction (i.e. entrance to St Vincent Terrace) and at Charing Cross. Must have cost a bit but no ideas, no taste, and overcautiousness produces crap visually cluttered public realm. It really is laughably bad. It says don't cross this road in the wrong place or you will die. That'll be a fun public realm then. An exercise in how not to do it!

On the back of that the Air Quality testing Units and substations in St Enoch Square and Charing Cross. No thought in siting them whatsoever. Come to think of it no design either. Did they drop in from space? Can we blast them back up again. A badly sited substation is no substitute for the Grand Hotel

The SECC. They filled in Queens Dock for crinkle cut sheds?! Eh!!! Not even a makeover by Norman Foster can redeem it. I'd drive the bulldozer myself! Go have a look at Melbourne for how to correctly site a conference / exhibition centre next to a river. Ideally you open it up to the river not present it with a view of your arse. Bit of a no brainer that one but they still got it wrong.

Not to mention Tay House. Grrr don't get me started.

Why only three my list could go on and on...
Closet Classicist
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Speedbird » Thu Sep 09, 2004 12:27 am

1. Princes Square. Security threw me out for taking photos inside just after it opened.

Daft as it may be, but you have to get permission first to take the pictures.

Same goes for Buchannan Galleries.

Luckily all you have to do is go to the security office and ask them.
I can always rely on this forum to make myself feel about 10 times worse than I did before
Speedbird
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Speedbird » Thu Sep 09, 2004 12:39 am

I'd demolish the GCBP, but that is only because I had to endure 3 years there.

The Food technology College just over the road, and all of the others along that road!

UGC, without a doubt!!

All the ugly office blocks.

Have no problem with the St Enoch Centre, although I do think that it would have been better in its' original railway station form with the huge canopy roofs...............

I'll get back to you on the others'.
I can always rely on this forum to make myself feel about 10 times worse than I did before
Speedbird
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby JamesMc » Thu Sep 09, 2004 7:47 am

Speedbird wrote:I'd demolish the GCBP, but that is only because I had to endure 3 years there.

The Food technology College just over the road, and all of the others along that road!

You could now do both of those in one, as from the 1st August this year they are one college, The Metropolitan College of Glasgow.

JamesMc.
I see dead buildings...
JamesMc
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Apollo » Thu Sep 09, 2004 11:13 am

Speedbird wrote:1. Princes Square. Security threw me out for taking photos inside just after it opened.
Daft as it may be, but you have to get permission first to take the pictures.
Same goes for Buchannan Galleries.
Luckily all you have to do is go to the security office and ask them.

They both need to get-a-life then. Understandable if you're a pro with kit-boxes/tripods/flash etc. but Joe Public popping a few snaps off???

Metro Centre in Gateshead encourages photography, and even has a wee shop selling cheap cameras for anybody that didn't think to bring one.

If you can sell your soul and enter the designer yuppie tat hell of Princes Square, there is at least some build and a big swingy thing to take pics of. What on earth is there to take pics of inside Buchanan Gallaries? Acres of palid floors and ceilings, and galleries of franchise shopfronts. As pleasant as BG is, the designers should really have jumped in a car and looked at the Metro, complete with mini theme park and indoor roller coaster. Although even there, some of the more attractive original features have gone, and some tacky ones added.
Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby deebers » Fri Sep 10, 2004 12:47 pm

1. The Boyd Orr Glasgow University building!
What a travesty! Especially when it's the first thing you see when you drive down from Highborough Road!

2. The extension to Queen Street Station (as mentioned by someone else here) cos it covers up the arches and windows.

3. Glasgow College of Building and Printing - I loved the college when I went there - but it's an eyesore - lets face it! What with those toilet rolls on the roof?

God I have more as well!
Ehhh... cool. Whatever you say, I'm sorry. You're the man. The dude in the chair.
View my Blog
deebers
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Speedbird » Fri Sep 10, 2004 9:28 pm

Never realised that it was all being amalgamated, but then it would make sense as the photography department has worked in conjunction with them several times in the past AFAIK.

What course did you do Debs'??

As for the Loo - rolls', you have to ask one of the TV people.

The real toilets' just STANK no matter how clean they were - particularly the ones on the 6th floor (guys' bogs' generally do anyway, but this was particularly offensive).

It will probably collapse by itself sometime in the future anyway, because myself, and other people (including staff) can swear that the building has moved slightly to either the left or the right several times before....... 8O

P.S. just remember not to use the bloody lifts' if you can help it!!
Anyone who has been there for any period of time over the last few years can vouch for that!!
The lift assistance bells' were a regular sound when I was there for example.

Yes, demolish it, NOW, and take all the neds' away with it!!
Speedbird
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fossil » Fri Sep 10, 2004 10:27 pm

I quite like the Building and Printing in fact I will go as far and say Its one of my favourite buildings in the city centre.

I always thought of it as a big cigarette lighter.. If you know what I mean

Artist Impression

Fossil
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby Sharon » Fri Sep 10, 2004 10:53 pm

HAhahahahaa..... Fossy that is cracking me up!

::):
Beware of yawning dogs.
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby PlasticDel » Fri Sep 10, 2004 11:35 pm

Really, Fossy?

I can kinda see what you mean, Deebers. I kinda think of a cardboard box in the rain when I see it. It's cool when you leave Strathclyde union and walk towards it. Cause of the design you only see half the building. I was confused when that first happened. Always confused!!!

Maybe Crusty has some pictures fromthe top of it. We were up there, it's sooo cool up top!!!!!!! :D I like it up there.
PlasticDel
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Speedbird » Fri Sep 10, 2004 11:46 pm

So cool up there?

SO COOL??!!

When on the likes of the 12th floor, all of the heat from the rest of the building rises up, so we a were often sweltered, particularly in spring/summer/Autumn.

Plus they never had a water machine, so unless you already had something, it could be downright oppressive at times.

Far from cool, I can tell you! ;-)

I did take some pictures from up there, but they were not serious and were rubbish.
It is one of these things, you keep on saying to yourself:

'I'll do it tommorrow, I'll do it soon when I can be bothered, etc etc.

Actually, I may just go back and take a few as they all know who I am anyway.

On a really clear day, you can see for *MILES* as it is the tallest building around (plus it is on the hill).
It was quite useful to see what was going on in George Square and see what was going in and out of Central station :roll:
Speedbird
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby PlasticDel » Fri Sep 10, 2004 11:49 pm

I actually meant on that wee diving daile thing that hangs o'er the edge. On the roof of the building.
PlasticDel
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Speedbird » Fri Sep 10, 2004 11:52 pm

I know you did, but I was just pointing out the general flaw in the last message.

It is especially far from cool when the flame of the lighter starts up...... :D
Speedbird
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Speedbird » Fri Sep 10, 2004 11:57 pm

By the way, if you happen to be there today then look out for incoming Cessnas'.

Sorry, I don't know where that came from (actually I do, it was one of the college tutors - the vulnerability of working in one of the tallest buildings' around obviously showing there).
Speedbird
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)