Choose 3 buildings you'd like to introduce to a bulldozer!

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Choose 3 buildings you'd like to introduce to a bulldoze

Postby The Egg Man » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:46 am

Godsgift wrote:Not a building but I'd rip up the whole of the M8 where it runs through the city centre. It's a disaster anyway the way it funnels traffic to certain lanes and certain exits but that's not my reason. It is a tear through the heart of the city. Can you see this being allowed in Edinburgh? A motorway through the Royal Mile and the Grass Market? :x

That poses the question - did the M8 bring the amount of traffic Glasgow has now or would the traffic, jobs and prosperity have come without it?
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fat Cat » Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:23 pm

Godsgift wrote:Not a building but I'd rip up the whole of the M8 where it runs through the city centre. It's a disaster anyway the way it funnels traffic to certain lanes and certain exits but that's not my reason. It is a tear through the heart of the city. Can you see this being allowed in Edinburgh? A motorway through the Royal Mile and the Grass Market? :x

good call
Fat Cat
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Bingo Bango » Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:22 pm

Agreed on the M8 city centre section.

It is not an original idea by any stretch, many students and professionals have suggested likewise over the years, but I always though covering the trench over with a linear park running from as close to the river as can be to north of Charing cross would have been an excellent way of repairing some of the damage while dragging the city centre over west a bit.

like a big green scab over a slash wound, to use a fairly gruesome analogy. Something in the scale of Boston's Big Dig, with vents where necessary as features and plenty grass and trees with hard landscaping too. Would look magnificent and would also bring the focus back to the excellent buildings that look on to the motorway, give them a bit of dignity.

With the right engineering there is no reason (other than the damn cost) this could not be done to the benefit of the whole city.
Bingo Bango
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:33 pm

Bingo Bango wrote:Agreed on the M8 city centre section.

It is not an original idea by any stretch, many students and professionals have suggested likewise over the years, but I always though covering the trench over with a linear park running from as close to the river as can be to north of Charing cross would have been an excellent way of repairing some of the damage while dragging the city centre over west a bit.

............................. .

And stop the M8 just north of Charing Cross? It's taken us years to finish the bridge to nowhere and now someone's suggesting we create a motorway to nowhere :roll:
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Bingo Bango » Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:56 pm

The Egg Man wrote:

And stop the M8 just north of Charing Cross? It's taken us years to finish the bridge to nowhere and now someone's suggesting we create a motorway to nowhere :roll:

No no - stop the covered over section north of charing cross, as far as it can go with the level change....would probably work out to right at the on ramp north/east.
Bingo Bango
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby RapidAssistant » Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:28 am

Bingo Bango wrote:
The Egg Man wrote:

No no - stop the covered over section north of charing cross, as far as it can go with the level change....would probably work out to right at the on ramp north/east.

Agreed - it's a feasible enough (and a nice) idea if the motorway was entirely flat, but it isn't - you've got that big hump in front of the Mitchell/Elmbank Gardens where the railway line passes underneath, then the steep incline up and over Anderston Cross. And besides, you'd probably need to knock the Bridge to Nowhere down just after we've finished completing the damn thing!
RapidAssistant
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:11 am

Speaking of greenery and that part of the city.

Proposals (which I can't find mentioned here) to convert the unfenced off area at the jct of Newton St/ St Vincent St adjacent to Scottish Power's proposed HQ under the City Council's Stalled Spaces scheme seem to have er ................. stalled.

:(
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Bingo Bango » Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:12 am

You could cover from Sauchiehall Street down to St Vincent Street more or less at grade. Other parts probably a lot more difficult with level changes but even that main stretch would do a lot of good IMO.
Bingo Bango
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Ruchazie Rat » Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:50 pm

Those old public baths halfway along the south side of Stevenson Street. It pains me to say it. Used to use them long long ago. But no-one`s gonna stump up dosh to re-imagine them. And there`s steel wiring in front cos bits of the roof must be starting to crumble.
Ruchazie Rat
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby The Creeping Spleen » Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:29 am

Can I nominate the Riverside Museum?

Who in the name of the sweet chocolate Christ puts museum exhibits waaaaay up on a wall where you can't look at them properly?
Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.
The Creeping Spleen
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby old jock » Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:18 am

As far as I'm, concerned you certainly can. A real pet hate & total waste of money, its no longer the transport museum but now "The Riverside". Total bloody shed that was obviously designed first then thought about its purpose second, stuff jammed in, cars up the wall, and I've sat in third world airports with better amenities than the cafe upstairs.

Can't vouch for the truth of it but I heard that Hadid has never visited the place before during or after, can't bloody blame her I'd be ashamed, although to be fair it might not be entirely her fault.

John
old jock
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby The Creeping Spleen » Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:28 am

I went in for a wee nosey a couple of weeks after it opened. Total fuckin' shambles, 90% of the "interactive" exhibits were broken.

I honestly do wish that architects would get past this thing where they "design" a building that looks like either a box with a flat roof (this is fuckin' Scotland for fuck sake! It rains quite a lot of the time!), or some piece of weird lookin' shite.
The Creeping Spleen
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:51 am

old jock wrote:

As far as I'm, concerned you certainly can. A real pet hate & total waste of money, its no longer the transport museum but now "The Riverside". Total bloody shed that was obviously designed first then thought about its purpose second, stuff jammed in, cars up the wall, and I've sat in third world airports with better amenities than the cafe upstairs.

Can't vouch for the truth of it but I heard that Hadid has never visited the place before during or after, can't bloody blame her I'd be ashamed, although to be fair it might not be entirely her fault.

John

I haven't tried the cafe so can't comment but I reckon the 'cars up the wall' problem stems from the fact there was a limited amount of ground available for the build and there were fears that unless a large amount was set aside for car parking, attendances would suffer.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The Creeping Spleen » Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:54 am

Now, was it just because the place was just opened, or was bugger all actually labelled?
The Creeping Spleen
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby ibtg » Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:17 pm

A trip down memory lane:

http://www.mycityglasgow.co.uk/index_fi ... sportm.htm

..........and my (polite) take on the Riverside Museum:

http://www.mycityglasgow.co.uk/index_fi ... erside.htm

And I believe its correct name is the Museum of Science and Transport, which attempts to explain away some of the more irrelevant exhibits to transport.

(P.S. I don't like it either)
www.mycityglasgow.co.uk
ibtg
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)