Choose 3 buildings you'd like to introduce to a bulldozer!

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Choose 3 buildings you'd like to introduce to a bulldoze

Postby mercury » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:15 pm

The Creeping Spleen wrote:Can I nominate the Riverside Museum?

Who in the name of the sweet chocolate Christ puts museum exhibits waaaaay up on a wall where you can't look at them properly?

Haven't been there but from what I hear I don't see myself going. A friend made an inquiry about an exhibit that was not on display, he was told that is in storage. It is not intended to circulate the displays so the donation wont see the light of day. I thought that this move was intended to give more space for articles in the storage warehouse. :roll:
mercury
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:26 pm

Don't let the building put you off, nor the restricted display of exhibits.

There's still some magical stuff there. The memorial to the Glasgow Tramways Battalion who became the 15th Battalion, HLI. Model ships, ageing motor cars and bikes, trams, trains and more.

Imperfect as it it, it's the only place you'll see all these things in one place.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fat Cat » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:27 pm

The Creeping Spleen wrote:Can I nominate the Riverside Museum?

Who in the name of the sweet chocolate Christ puts museum exhibits waaaaay up on a wall where you can't look at them properly?

This. Can I drive the bulldozer?
Fat Cat
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby old jock » Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:59 am

Well I'm not going to flog a dead horse..............................Oh well alright then.

EM, I'm not having a go, but I really must take issue with you on this particular topic.

The last time I was there, admittedly a while back, some of the bicycles were suspended up in the air and the motorbikes (keen fan me) although not a particularly good or well cared for collection are also stacked up the bloody wall as well.

As for the ships on a conveyor belt Pleeeeez!!!!! POS, you have to walk along and just as you want to look some more, the bloody thing disappears. What was wrong with the ship room in the Kelvin Hall. You could choose what you wanted to look at and stand and examine in detail the models for as long as you liked. To update it, all it would have needed were some computers containing info on the ships' histories and then indexed to the models. Want to know more? Go to the computer key in the code and get the bumf, simples and relatively cheap.

City Chambers tried the usual spin about the street, Ok I suppose for some its an attraction, it doesn't do much for me to much of gimmick. I think the trams are good, reasonably explained and you can get access to them.

BUT at the end of the day ITS TOO BLOODY SMALL end of. Spin it how you like, people are not as stupid as our city fathers would like to believe quite the reverse that's why you see the reaction here. A lot of our money wasted on a vanity/iconic building project and it still looks like a shed, a fancy shed but still a shed.

Right I'll get ma coat, and put down the stick

John
old jock
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Fat Cat » Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:53 am

old jock wrote:Well I'm not going to flog a dead horse..............................Oh well alright then.

EM, I'm not having a go, but I really must take issue with you on this particular topic.

The last time I was there, admittedly a while back, some of the bicycles were suspended up in the air and the motorbikes (keen fan me) although not a particularly good or well cared for collection are also stacked up the bloody wall as well.

As for the ships on a conveyor belt Pleeeeez!!!!! POS, you have to walk along and just as you want to look some more, the bloody thing disappears. What was wrong with the ship room in the Kelvin Hall. You could choose what you wanted to look at and stand and examine in detail the models for as long as you liked. To update it, all it would have needed were some computers containing info on the ships' histories and then indexed to the models. Want to know more? Go to the computer key in the code and get the bumf, simples and relatively cheap.

City Chambers tried the usual spin about the street, Ok I suppose for some its an attraction, it doesn't do much for me to much of gimmick. I think the trams are good, reasonably explained and you can get access to them.

BUT at the end of the day ITS TOO BLOODY SMALL end of. Spin it how you like, people are not as stupid as our city fathers would like to believe quite the reverse that's why you see the reaction here. A lot of our money wasted on a vanity/iconic building project and it still looks like a shed, a fancy shed but still a shed.

Right I'll get ma coat, and put down the stick

John

any post that uses the word bumf is all right by me
Fat Cat
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Bingo Bango » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:32 am

The Egg Man wrote:
Bingo Bango wrote:Agreed on the M8 city centre section.

It is not an original idea by any stretch, many students and professionals have suggested likewise over the years, but I always though covering the trench over with a linear park running from as close to the river as can be to north of Charing cross would have been an excellent way of repairing some of the damage while dragging the city centre over west a bit.

............................. .

And stop the M8 just north of Charing Cross? It's taken us years to finish the bridge to nowhere and now someone's suggesting we create a motorway to nowhere :roll:

I am just reading this back again, and I think there is some confusion as to what I meant....I wasn't meaning cover the road directly with a park, but bridge over it at street level and make the M8 section a tunnel. Road is kept, Glasgow gets a new park and we are all happy.
Bingo Bango
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Bingo Bango » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:36 am

And just to add to the mix - I love the Riverside Museum! ::):
Bingo Bango
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby dimairt » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:14 am

Picked up this wee gem yesterday. It was commissioned by the Corporation in 1965 for the Commonwealth Arts Festival and gives details on most of the City's finest buildings.
Interestingly, the later part deals with modern buildings, many of them now demolished.

Durachdan,

Eddy

dimairt
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Haggis » Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:44 am

The Scottish Parliament building its just such an ugly eyesore,leaves me cold .
And the historic area it was built.
Haggis
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:09 pm

The trouble is that most folks only view Holyrood from ground level and only a wee bit at a time.

Get up onto Arthur's Seat/ Salisbury Crag and look down and it's much better.

Plus, the interior is much better than the exterior.

not that Bill Wilson's going to see much of it for a while ::):
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Haggis » Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:29 pm

:) Ive been inside and I find it too niggly annoying .So all in I don't like it hehe, I find it dated looking so god knows what it will look like in 20yrs time.As for Glasgow we have almost run out of old buildings to pull down.So ill say the student accommodation around aldi on collegelands.
Haggis
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Josef » Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:49 pm

I like Holyrood. So there. :)
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RapidAssistant » Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:33 am

dimairt wrote:Picked up this wee gem yesterday. It was commissioned by the Corporation in 1965 for the Commonwealth Arts Festival and gives details on most of the City's finest buildings.
Interestingly, the later part deals with modern buildings, many of them now demolished.

Great find - I think there is a later edition of this book in the Mitchell as it looks awfully familiar - but covers right up to 1981, with the 'new' Glasgow Royal Infirmary buildings are on the last page I think.

Going back to my original choice of three above - I must think of another now that Goldbergs is being finally flattened.
RapidAssistant
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby darrel » Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:47 am

I was going to say.
1, riverside museum
2, riverside museum
3 riverside museum
4 the house of whoever was responsible for the riverside museum (with them still inside)
But think I have been beaten to it.
http://darrels.smugmug.com/
darrel
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Fat Cat » Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:30 am

Haggis wrote::) As for Glasgow we have almost run out of old buildings to pull down.So ill say the student accommodation around aldi on collegelands.

Oh God, horrendous. A charm free-zone.
Fat Cat
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)