Choose 3 buildings you'd like to introduce to a bulldozer!

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby mr moto » Sat Sep 23, 2006 12:26 pm

the new bbc headquarters at pacific quay would get my vote for demolition,
it,s a big glass box, that,s it !! a box ! my four year old nephew playing with his lego has built more interesting and attractive buildings than that :D
and next on my list would be the B&Q garden centre, greenhouse section, where it seems that most current architects seem to get all their ideas from.
mr moto
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Sat Sep 23, 2006 12:30 pm

What are the BBC playing at, bad enough that its just a big glass box masquerading as "purity of design" but it turns its arse (in the form of the grey panels denoting where studios are) on the city! The least they could do is stick up some giant video screens on these blank bits... and I'll bet the architect never invisaged the services stcking up from the clean lines of his roof - certainly never appeared in the renders! ::):

What an absolute liberty.
here i go, it's coming for me through the trees
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby Josef » Sat Sep 23, 2006 1:54 pm

mr moto wrote:the new bbc headquarters at pacific quay would get my vote for demolition,

I second (or is it third) this one. Although I've been annoyed or disappointed by many a building in Glasgow over the years, this is the only one that has ever made me angry every time I walk past it.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby viceroy » Sat Sep 23, 2006 5:04 pm

All of which goes to show you that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I actually like the new BBC headquarters. Its very starkness and lack of ornamentation are what make it attractive to me.
viceroy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby sonofanger » Sat Sep 23, 2006 5:20 pm

One person's palace is an other's carbuncle.

(which is why I'm having difficulty introducing anything to the bulldozer ::): )
sonofanger
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Ally Doll » Wed Oct 18, 2006 10:25 pm

Ally Doll wrote:
Vladimir wrote:Will they get a move on with that! :evil:

I pass by there every morning, I'll keep you posted!

Passed this way in the car today, just a shell of the part that faced the motorway left now (taken from St Vincent Street).

Ally Doll
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Afro_Glaswegian » Fri Oct 20, 2006 6:02 pm

1)Strathclyde Uni's Livingstone Tower. reminds me of a fat rocket.

...thats ugly btw

2)Linwood Shopping Centre - nae shops but lots of stabbings

3)the entire Sighthill estate

4)the Woodneuk/West/Millarston Court trio in Paisley - either the council knock them down or the neds burn them down

5)the Sauchiehall Street office blocks - next to that shiny new cinema, looks bloody awful.

a couple others but i cant get greedy now can i? :D
defeat is only temporary, giving up makes it permanent.
Afro_Glaswegian
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby AMcD » Fri Oct 27, 2006 4:29 pm

AMcD
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby McShad » Fri Oct 27, 2006 4:47 pm

crusty_bint wrote:What are the BBC playing at, bad enough that its just a big glass box masquerading as "purity of design" but it turns its arse (in the form of the grey panels denoting where studios are) on the city! The least they could do is stick up some giant video screens on these blank bits... and I'll bet the architect never invisaged the services stcking up from the clean lines of his roof - certainly never appeared in the renders! ::):

What an absolute liberty.

They havent even moved into the building yet! I really wish they switched the bloody lights off at night. What a waste.

Oh, and the windows appears to have internal blinds that come down when the sun is shining in its direction
McShad
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Vladimir » Fri Oct 27, 2006 7:40 pm

that shiny new cinema

Probably the single ugliest building I have ever seen, it has absolutely nothing going for it. Its tall, but fat...

At least Sighthill has the excuse of being gray, that cinema is all colourful and STILL it looks awful!

:D
Vladimir
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby glasgowken » Sun Apr 15, 2007 12:42 pm

Passing on the top deck of a bus today, got a good look into the pit, and saw 4 big tanks (sorry, no photos).
Would these have anything to do with the old car showroom, or are they more likely water tanks ?
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fossil » Sun Apr 15, 2007 4:22 pm

site of a wee petrol station GK a few years back

Fossil
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby glasgowken » Sun Apr 15, 2007 4:35 pm

I remember the old photo now. Didn't think they would still be there.
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Alan L » Sun Apr 15, 2007 5:28 pm

I've not seen this thread before, it's a cracker.

1) Tay House. Ugliest building in Glasgow by some distance. Who on earth thought that pink cladding would be a good idea? I worked in the "bridge" section of Tay House in my last job, so I may be a tad biased.

2) Heron House/The Pinnacle. The recent renovation prevents this from taking 1st place, but it's still a state. I've no problem with high rise buildings but this as an awful example of such. Does a good job of obscuring the Greek Thompson (?) church nearby too.

3) Red Road Flats. Wouldn't look out of place in Albania. God only knows what any first time visitor to Glasgow thinks when confronted with that view from the M8.
Alan L
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Field Marshall Shug » Sun Apr 15, 2007 6:48 pm

1. The Royal Concert Hall. It is as if someone found one of Albert Speer's old drawings during the Berlin rennovation work in the early 90s and thought 'Glasgow needs some culture. We'll flog them this pish!'

2. Bridge Street Subway facade and others. 'Hey! I'm from the U.S. of Texas and this here map says there is a subway nearby, but all I see is this public toilet.'

3. Bisland Bakery. 'Gee honey look! It's a mock-up of the Stalingrad tractor factory, re-assembled here in the north of England. Speilberg does a lot of his war films here coz the extras have so much swell banter.'
Field Marshall Shug
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Location: Listening to Strawberry Switchblade on a burst sofa.

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)