The Snow!

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

The Snow!

Postby jedi » Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:11 am

Hey all not sure if I am posting this in the correct section if not super sorry

I have just been thinking about this good old snow fall and the wee lassie on the news this morning said the snowfall in Scotland is a result of the changing climate.

My question is this if it's a result of changing climate how come when I was a lad we used to have loads of snow!

I can remember going out as a lad and playing in the snow building snowmen having snowball fights and generally being a wee bugger !

So can you remember any of the stuff you used to or still get up to when the snow falls?

Cheers :twisted:
Quick Take A Picture....

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/crazyjedione
jedi
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Re: The Snow!

Postby Josef » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:45 am

jedi wrote:I have just been thinking about this good old snow fall and the wee lassie on the news this morning said the snowfall in Scotland is a result of the changing climate.

Well, it is. It's changed from Autumn to Winter.

24-hour News Channels are a bugbear of mine, btw. If I had to pick One Thing That Is Wrong With The Modern World, they would be it. They have a whole day to fill but still have to have a Shouty! Headline! to appeal to the punter who is watching it for thirty seconds. So they fill the whole day with semi-fabricated, sensationalised, utter pish.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby hungryjoe » Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:01 am

I heard some bampot wummin on Radio Scotland's Big Debate, state quite emphatically, that last year's sever winter and the early onslaught this year, were as a direct result of global warning because one of the factors of global warming was sever climate change.
I feel frigging OLD!
Multi dinero, multi ficky fick, multi divorce.
hungryjoe
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:18 am

hungryjoe wrote:I heard some bampot wummin on Radio Scotland's Big Debate, state quite emphatically, that last year's sever winter and the early onslaught this year, were as a direct result of global warning because one of the factors of global warming was sever climate change.
I feel frigging OLD!

That's actually true-ish.

As someone said earlier, it's not global warming. It''s global cilmate change. As a predicted result of which, Scotland will get colder and wetter. Bummer, eh?
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby jedi » Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:09 pm

It was Radio Scotland i was listening to and they linked the sudden exteme snowfall to the changeing climate.

Oh and Josef i am totally with you 24 hour News is just a waste of time.

The eyecatching headline is actually nothing to do with or is an extremely biased view of the news that they are reporting and Sky News are the worset for that,

What happned to just telling me the news as it is but they are trying to entertain me and we dont watch the news to be entertained we wtach it to gather information.

Well thats my rant over and done with whos up for a snowball fight haha
Quick Take A Picture....

jedi
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby strange brew » Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:12 pm

The only thing I hate about this weather is the number of arseholes who emerge who apparently think that a cold snap apparently exposes the 'lie' of climate change, that it is a huge myth created by the...I don't know, the illuminati or some other bollocks, in order to shove taxes up a bit. It's funny how they understand all that yet they fail to grasp the fact that 'weather' and 'climate' are two very different things indeed.
strange brew
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby hungryjoe » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:17 am

Josef wrote:
hungryjoe wrote:I heard some bampot wummin on Radio Scotland's Big Debate, state quite emphatically, that last year's sever winter and the early onslaught this year, were as a direct result of global warning because one of the factors of global warming was sever climate change.
I feel frigging OLD!

As someone said earlier, it's not global warming. It''s global cilmate change. As a predicted result of which, Scotland will get colder and wetter. Bummer, eh?

I beg to differ.
No one knows for sure if Global Warming is responsible for our recent weather. We've had worse in my lifetime. There is no doubt that the planet's climate changes over time, with temperature fluctuations in either direction. I have no doubt that airborne pollution is bad for the planet and it's inhabitants, but the truth is that no one knows it's causing Global Warming, though it's true that many learned people surmise or theorise that it does. For that fucking bam on the radio to be given a platform to frighten people with shite like last weeks snow is a direct result of Global Warming, is pish of the purest distillation.
Multi dinero, multi ficky fick, multi divorce.
hungryjoe
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby jedi » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:35 am

hungryjoe wrote:
Josef wrote:
I feel frigging OLD!

I beg to differ.
No one knows for sure if Global Warming is responsible for our recent weather. We've had worse in my lifetime. There is no doubt that the planet's climate changes over time, with temperature fluctuations in either direction. I have no doubt that airborne pollution is bad for the planet and it's inhabitants, but the truth is that no one knows it's causing Global Warming, though it's true that many learned people surmise or theorise that it does. For that fucking bam on the radio to be given a platform to frighten people with shite like last weeks snow is a direct result of Global Warming, is pish of the purest distillation.

The media are terrible for talking utter rubbish at times granted you do expect BBC Scotland to be a soruce valued and relevant information but clearly this was the case this time.

It has been proven that our dear planet has many times over it's existence warmed up and cooled down this has been backed up with core samples of the ice in annatrictica( I think that's how you spell that :) ) which is like looking back in time when it comes to the planets climate.

Current thinking is that our planet was heading towards a period of time when it was due to get warmer which in turn effects weather patterns and this has been suggested to hace been accelerated by the actions of man but has no way provided any conclusive evidence.

So hungrayjoe I an backing your corner in this light debate :)

Thats what I ment with my first post I can remember worse winters than this as a child so this weather just no is by no way a new experience :)..

Dam BBC Scotland ha ha......
Quick Take A Picture....

jedi
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby BrigitDoon » Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:20 pm

jedi wrote:annatrictica( I think that's how you spell that :) )

I couldn't - not even if I tried. Full marks for effort! :D
UXB
BrigitDoon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby jedi » Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:14 pm

BrigitDoon wrote:
jedi wrote:annatrictica( I think that's how you spell that :) )

I couldn't - not even if I tried. Full marks for effort! :D

I know brucy bonus to me hahaha
Quick Take A Picture....

jedi
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby munroman » Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:05 pm

Apparently the BBC Pension Fund have made many investments in companies who would benefit from 'Global Warming'.

If, as appears likely, this 'Global Warming' is proven to be a scam, then the value of these investments will plummet.

Clearly, as can be seen and heard on the BBC, in no way is this direct interest being used to 'talk up' Global Warming.

Aye Right!.........

Some greeny quine on the Radio was bemoaning the fact that now 1/3 of people live in fuel poverty, up from 1/4 in 2007.

Clearly, the connection between fuel taxes and prices being thumped up to subsidise fairytale solutions like wind energy, and the poor suffering (and dying), to in effect, subsidise landowners who have space to put windmills, had escaped her razor sharp intellect.

I would tie them to stakes in the fields and let them experience 'Global Warming' up close and personal, bunch of shysters the lot of them!
munroman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby jedi » Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:26 pm

munroman wrote:Some greeny quine on the Radio was bemoaning the fact that now 1/3 of people live in fuel poverty, up from 1/4 in 2007.

Clearly, the connection between fuel taxes and prices being thumped up to subsidise fairytale solutions like wind energy, and the poor suffering (and dying), to in effect, subsidise landowners who have space to put windmills, had escaped her razor sharp intellect.

I would tie them to stakes in the fields and let them experience 'Global Warming' up close and personal, bunch of shysters the lot of them!

I was actually reading a paper the other day and they brought up this intresting debate about the current levels of fuel poverty experenced by people?

The author spoke about this been directly linked not to costs incurred by the development of alternative power generation but to these private companys trying to claw as much profit from themselfs as possble reguardless of the customers who are struggleing with current costs?

In my view (and this is only my opinion it maybe biased :) ) all our nations utilitys gas,electricity ect should been owened by the nation as a not for profit orginsation so any funds raised can bee invested and there prices can be reduced so that everyone can benift.

Right thats my wee rant over i think this coldness has brought out my opionated side hahahaha
Quick Take A Picture....

jedi
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby pingu » Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:13 pm

jedi wrote:
In my view (and this is only my opinion it maybe biased :) ) all our nations utilitys gas,electricity ect should been owened by the nation as a not for profit orginsation so any funds raised can bee invested and there prices can be reduced so that everyone can benift.

or if not "not for profit" then at least the money would go back into the country and not some shareholders pocket.

but it should be owned by country either way.
toot toot
pingu
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby banjo » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:07 pm

well at least peter stringfellow is campaigning for all the other richie riches to join him and hand back their heating allowance.god bless his sheffield roots.millionaires picking up this allowance is a disgrace.
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby jedi » Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:22 am

banjo wrote:well at least peter stringfellow is campaigning for all the other richie riches to join him and hand back their heating allowance.god bless his sheffield roots.millionaires picking up this allowance is a disgrace.

Yes I seen this on the news.

That's great he is handing it back as clearly he dosent need it but come on why did he get it in the first place, I know this is a universal payment to all pensioners but this is shocking.

The next thing you know the government will be engrossed in huge amounts of debt and massive public cuts will be required just because they are careless at maths.... Oh wait a min this all is starting to sound far to familar!!
:roll:
Quick Take A Picture....

jedi
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Next

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)