Sorry Sir we have no allotments available.

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Sorry Sir we have no allotments available.

Postby enailer » Mon May 10, 2010 12:02 pm

Innit weird when you go to a place looking tae get an allotment. There they are all covered in weeds auld couches tables and windies but the damned wummin at High St still says `Sorry sir we have no allotments available` :evil: :?:
Lookin out through a Whisky coloured haze
enailer
First Stripe
First Stripe

Re: Sorry Sir we have no allotments available.

Postby hungryjoe » Mon May 10, 2010 12:31 pm

You can grow anything you like (within reason :wink: ) in ma gairden in Stevenston. Free.
Multi dinero, multi ficky fick, multi divorce.
hungryjoe
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby BrigitDoon » Mon May 10, 2010 12:32 pm

There's always guerilla gardening.
UXB
BrigitDoon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Mon May 10, 2010 12:38 pm

BBC News is just covering this story.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby enailer » Tue May 11, 2010 12:10 pm

Its ok saying you can grow anything in yer gairdin free but ah live 20 storeys up (thats where yer pieces get toasted during re-entry)and they dont come with gardens.
enailer
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby My Kitten » Tue May 11, 2010 1:48 pm

try direct with the associations, you might get up the ladder quicker (and get to know your fellow gardeners better)
два сталкиваются
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby hungryjoe » Tue May 11, 2010 9:10 pm

enailer wrote:Its ok saying you can grow anything in yer gairdin free but ah live 20 storeys up (thats where yer pieces get toasted during re-entry)and they dont come with gardens.

When I said you could grow anything, I meant you in person. I fucking hate gardening.
Multi dinero, multi ficky fick, multi divorce.
hungryjoe
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby My Kitten » Tue May 11, 2010 9:32 pm

depending on what way your windows are facing (or the windows on your landing) lots can be grown in a multi. Tatties (kid you not! a big bucket will do that), courgettes, tomatoes, peppers that kind of thing, anything that can grow on a window ledge.
два сталкиваются
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby hazy » Tue May 11, 2010 9:42 pm

Thier was allotments on Saxon Road in Knightswood but they have not been used in absolut yonks. You can see them on Google Earth. They will probably get Ryden to sell off the land.
Thank you. And why not.
hazy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Celyn » Tue May 11, 2010 9:58 pm

enailer wrote:Its ok saying you can grow anything in yer gairdin free but ah live 20 storeys up (thats where yer pieces get toasted during re-entry)and they dont come with gardens.

I am bashing myself on the head for not getting the reference when I glanced at this thread earlier. Ah, the great wisdom of Adam McNaughtan. ::):

I suppose possibly, just possibly, that the answer for those of us living in multi-storeys who might want cheap food, given that gardening is out of the question, might turn out to be finding a way to trap seagulls and the damn pigeons. Come to think of it, there might be potential side benefits in collecting all the feathers and making pillows or something. Nah, still too scary for me. Blood and guts and messiness. :eek:

Coincidentally, I was speaking on the 'phone earlier with a friend who does have a garden, and given the economic situation, we were joking about "austerity measures" etc. Friend laughingly agreed that I could not really grow food because I would need all sort of special gro-lamp lights and that would cost a fortune, AND then a nice Mr. Plod would come around and I would have to explain, "no, those are tomato plants, really they are, and this is mint and here is parsley, sage and so on, and those are carrots, Constable". *

Actually, where I live (in Sighthill) there used to be allotments. Then it was discovered that the land was contaminated with arsenic and general bad shit. All right, the last bit was not scientific language but mine own. :)

* aye, all right, you may feel free to groan if you must, but it's hard not to make a Pratchett Discworld reference sometimes. Mea culpa.
Celyn
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby enailer » Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:16 am

Well things are startin tae look up. That damned wee wummin at the High St office has got in touch with me and I now have tae see an allotment behind the Celtic training ground on London Road on Friday morning(ah suppose ah could pretend ah was somewhere else when ah pass the Celtic place)thats not bad eh? The season for growins nearlly over but theres always next year. :mrgreen:
enailer
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:41 pm

I stumbled across the Glasgow Allotments Forum http://www.glasgowallotmentsforum.org.uk/ at the weekend whilst looking for something else.

I know nothing about then beyond that they exist. Maybe they can help.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Yes, we have some alllotments ......... ;-)

Postby The Egg Man » Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:43 pm

Lambhill Stables are looking for local residents interested in allotments.

"Would you be interested in taking on an allotment? We have secured funding to create allotment space at Hillend Road. Please get in touch to find out how you can soon be getting back to nature with your own garden and growing your own vegetables."

Lambhill Stables
34-36 Glentanar Place
Balmore Industrial Estate
Glasgow
G22 7XT
Telephone 0141 336 4843
Email [email protected]

http://www.lambhillstables.co.uk/index.html
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe