Press

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Press

Postby Mori » Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:43 pm

BBC

Scottish daily paper sales slip

The Scotsman newspaper's sales have slipped below 40,000 for the first time in modern times, according to figures.
It sold an an average of 38,987 copies each day in July - nearly 4,000 down on the same month last year.
Its Glasgow rival The Herald also saw sales drop to 47,226 - also a low - and almost 5,000 down on last July.
However, many Sunday papers - including the Sunday Mail and the Sunday Post - got a boost following the closure of the News of the World.
July is often the worst month of the year for newspaper sales, with many readers on holiday. August usually brings an improvement.
But the annual trend suggests that the decline in the circulation of Scotland's two main quality newspapers is continuing
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:46 pm

How's Scotland's biggest home based quality The Press and Journal doing?
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:41 pm

Dexter St. Clair wrote:How's Scotland's biggest home based quality The Press and Journal doing?

allmedia scotland

June 03 2011 13:39
The National Readership Survey data reveals a readership drop for The Press and Journal (from 214,000 to 169,000),
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:59 am

Mori wrote:
Dexter St. Clair wrote:How's Scotland's biggest home based quality The Press and Journal doing?

allmedia scotland

June 03 2011 13:39
The National Readership Survey data reveals a readership drop for The Press and Journal (from 214,000 to 169,000),

That is some drop. It was outperforming the Herald and Scotsman.
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RDR » Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:59 am

Irrespective of the general decline in newspaper readers, due mainly I think to many getting their news on line, the quality of the content of the Herald is now so poor, it doesn't encourage you to but it. The Independant for instance is far superior.
He advocated for the weak against the strong, the poor against the rich and labour against capital.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby BrigitDoon » Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:19 pm

This morning I bought the Guardian, mostly because I wanted to have a closer look at the Rowson cartoon, which is always reproduced too small online to see what cheeky details he's put in there. I set to reading it when I got home and found quite quickly that I'd already read most of it online. There is on redeeming feature of the dead tree version - once you've finished it, that's it - you can't get distracted by the rest of the archive of news articles or external links.
UXB
BrigitDoon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby the researcher » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:04 pm

BrigitDoon wrote:This morning I bought the Guardian, mostly because I wanted to have a closer look at the Rowson cartoon, which is always reproduced too small online to see what cheeky details he's put in there. I set to reading it when I got home and found quite quickly that I'd already read most of it online. There is on redeeming feature of the dead tree version - once you've finished it, that's it - you can't get distracted by the rest of the archive of news articles or external links.

if you click on view then click on zoom this will enlarge anything which is small on a webpage that you cant read thats what i do
THE FLYING SCOT MADE BY RATTRAYS IN GLASGOW THE BEST BICYCLE EVER MADE
the researcher
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Mori » Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:52 pm

Ha... hope they get hanged high.

Herald

Tuesday 13 March 2012

Rebekah Brooks arrested in hacking probe

Rebekah Brooks and her racehorse trainer husband are among six suspects arrested today by detectives investigating phone hacking at News International.
The former News International chief executive and Charlie Brooks were arrested at their Oxfordshire home on suspicion of conspiracy to pervert the course of justice, sources said.
Police are searching several addresses after dawn raids also took place in London, Hampshire and Hertfordshire, Scotland Yard said.
Ms Brooks, a former editor of The Sun, had been on bail after being questioned by detectives last summer on suspicion of phone hacking and corruption.
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:46 pm

I believe they recently bought a baby in the hope 'being a new mum' might save Rebekah Brooks from gaol.

Perhaps they can get a refund.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mark N » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:50 pm

The Egg Man wrote:I believe they recently bought a baby in the hope 'being a new mum' might save Rebekah Brooks from gaol.

After she realised pretending to be Mick Hucknall wasn't going to work.
Flickr-ing me: http://www.flickr.com/photos/dogdriller/
Mark N
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby banjo » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:23 am

pretending 8O
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby dimairt » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:55 am

What on earth is going on at the Daily Record? I understand that they've given a regular column to an Nationalist MSP and today's issue has a voter-friendly article featuring Salmond; a major article about Labour's grip on Glasgow and an editorial supporting minimum-pricing on alcohol which Labour opposes.
Whatever next?

Durachdan,

Eddy
dimairt
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:27 am

All the press are interested in is circulation (and advertising). Joan McAlpine is a bit controversial - she's the wumman who insists that anyone not pro-independence is anti-Scottish.

It rather poses the question, how many Record readers read McAlpine's column? How many Evening Times readers read Anas Sarwar's column. How many readers know either column exists. I know it's not a fair comparison but when you look at the 'most read' section of the online version of the two papers it's almost 100% stories about Rangers situation.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby dimairt » Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:21 pm

The Egg Man wrote:All the press are interested in is circulation (and advertising). Joan McAlpine is a bit controversial - she's the wumman who insists that anyone not pro-independence is anti-Scottish.

It rather poses the question, how many Record readers read McAlpine's column? How many Evening Times readers read Anas Sarwar's column. How many readers know either column exists. I know it's not a fair comparison but when you look at the 'most read' section of the online version of the two papers it's almost 100% stories about Rangers situation.

Fair point Egg Man re Rangers story, Record readers are usually more interested in football news if on-line comments are anything to go by. However, I do detect change in the DR's political coverage - it's welcome too, reflecting perhaps the general shift in Scotland's politics.

Durachdan,

Eddy
dimairt
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:24 pm

dimairt wrote:
The Egg Man wrote:All the press are interested in is circulation (and advertising). Joan McAlpine is a bit controversial - she's the wumman who insists that anyone not pro-independence is anti-Scottish.

Fair point Egg Man re Rangers story, Record readers are usually more interested in football news if on-line comments are anything to go by. However, I do detect change in the DR's political coverage - it's welcome too, reflecting perhaps the general shift in Scotland's politics.

Durachdan,

Eddy

And indeed it is a fair point. But the argument exists that red-tops use the tits 'n' sport content to peddle a (often right-wing) agenda to their readers on the basis that 'this is a paper for people like us, and promotes the agendas that people like us have'.

The Daily Record and the Evening Times are generally (I'm largely inferring- I've found them both unreadable for twenty-odd years, although I read the odd article linked-to online) hard-line Unionist (in the UK meaning rather than the Irish one).

If they are changing their editorial line now then presumably it's because their current one is losing them even more readers than they would otherwise have lost. Which I presume was Eddy's point.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)