One for the railway heads

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: One for the railway heads

Postby moonbeam » Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:26 pm

In 1995 when it got to minus 18 or so in Glasgow the electric trains stopped working
as the air temperature when moving got down to something like minus 25 or 30 deg C
and the transformer oil went solid.You dont see lorries nowadays with wee fires
of oily rags or paper under the diesel fuel tank.Common 40 odd years ago to get
the diesel going.
moonbeam
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby tobester » Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:29 pm

hazy wrote:The reason all the Glasgow main line north trains are chucking it , is because the diesel int the tanks is become congelled. I have been on the night shift all week and we are using space heaters trying to heat them up. Losing battle folks :( :( :( :(

I take thats why they were 6car-ing the 320s all week, to try and prevent failure through the compressors canning it.

Have the 318s/314s been problematic?
tobester
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby theduke » Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:23 am

Alycidon wrote:Going back to the model them (perhaps a new thread is needed here), I have been putting together some structures together to create a little flavour of Glasgow in my loft.

Goods Station, still a lot of work to do, can you guess where it is based on??

Tunnel mouth, needing a few finishing touches but it again is based on a Glasgow prototype

They're great Alycidon, is it High Street Goods Station and the Buchanan Street tunnel?
Sixty Seconds In Kingdom Come
theduke
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby flyman » Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:38 am

Sorry for the partial derailment Alicy,on the model theme,i once worked on the house of one of Scotland's leading advocates James Spy.We had to have access to the loft area and i was stunned with the vision that met us.A massive train set with mountains ,hills,shops,you name it it was stunning and even as a non believer in the pastime it was a dazzling replica of the highlands and it's railways.My dad when he retired got a replica train in a case with an engraving on it for 40 years service to the train industry nice eh? i've tried giving it away on here before it's just gathering dust under the bed anybody interested in it is welcome to it.
Last edited by flyman on Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Never Get Out Of The Boat
flyman
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Alycidon » Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:16 pm

theduke wrote:
Alycidon wrote:Going back to the model them (perhaps a new thread is needed here), I have been putting together some structures together to create a little flavour of Glasgow in my loft.

Goods Station, still a lot of work to do, can you guess where it is based on??

Tunnel mouth, needing a few finishing touches but it again is based on a Glasgow prototype

They're great Alycidon, is it High Street Goods Station and the Buchanan Street tunnel?

Thanks Duke, correct with both - My modelling skills cannot be that bad after all!!

The tunnel mouth was based on photogrpahs by Jonno that appeared on here a while back, had to make some compromises to fit the layout, the goods station is based on the photograph on Canmore Image, which is actually the road access, I flipped the image over to fit the corner of the layout and built the walls up using modelling card and brick paper, I have an ambition to try and model as much of Buchanan Street Station as I can, watch this space...
[img]http://www.jhowie.force9.co.uk/emu314carcream.gif[/img]

We must perform a Quirkafleeg!!!!
Alycidon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby flyman » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:09 pm

My da dark overalls left hand side,my uncle Bobby white overalls right hand,guy in middle unknown.

Never Get Out Of The Boat
flyman
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Big Train Bob » Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:35 pm

Some wonderful stuff here ... I've worked for London Transport and its private successors for the past twenty years so it's a bit of a trainman's holiday but I'll post some more when I get the time.
Big Train Bob
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Alycidon » Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:31 pm

flyman wrote:My da dark overalls left hand side,my uncle Bobby white overalls right hand,guy in middle unknown.

And the locomotive in the background is LNER K2 2-6-0 number 61735. This engine was shedded at Parkhead depot from January 1951 until withdrawal in January 1957, does this tie in with your information about when and where the photograph was taken flyman??
[img]http://www.jhowie.force9.co.uk/emu314carcream.gif[/img]

We must perform a Quirkafleeg!!!!
Alycidon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:16 pm

Alycidon wrote:And the locomotive in the background is LNER K2 2-6-0 number 61735. This engine was shedded at Parkhead depot from January 1951 until withdrawal in January 1957, does this tie in with your information about when and where the photograph was taken flyman??

I know Parkhead bus depot - was there a train one too?
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby tobester » Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:24 pm

Josef wrote:
Alycidon wrote:And the locomotive in the background is LNER K2 2-6-0 number 61735. This engine was shedded at Parkhead depot from January 1951 until withdrawal in January 1957, does this tie in with your information about when and where the photograph was taken flyman??

I know Parkhead bus depot - was there a train one too?

There was a parkhead north goods yard, closed Oct 1966, or do you mean bridgeton central when it was used as a depot
tobester
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby gap74 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:59 am

So there was an article the other day in the Evening Times about the new Tesco in Maryhill having to be built on stilts to preserve the former trackbed of the station below, in case it ever re-opened.

This puzzles me - hasn't a lot of the trackbed been built on elsewhere in both directions?
gap74
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:48 am

gap74 wrote:So there was an article the other day in the Evening Times about the new Tesco in Maryhill having to be built on stilts to preserve the former trackbed of the station below, in case it ever re-opened.

This puzzles me - hasn't a lot of the trackbed been built on elsewhere in both directions?

The stilts are already there and the Evening Times journalists don't have much depth of knowledge.
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby dave2 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:39 pm

Is this the line that went through Botanics, under Gt Western Rd and past Kelvinbridge undergrpound and joined the 'new' argyle line?
dave2
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby gap74 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:57 pm

Dexter St. Clair wrote:The stilts are already there and the Evening Times journalists don't have much depth of knowledge.

See, I'd thought that as well, the article does vaguely allude to it as well.

So am I right in thinking, this was originally Maryhill Central, which had a number of terminus platforms, as well as some through lines to Possil to the east, and to the west it branched into two lines over the Kelvin, one going south via Kirklee and Botanics, and one going west and south via Crow Rd?

Large amounts of the trackbed appear to have been built on over all of these routes, so I really don't see what the point of respecting the old station at Maryhill is.
gap74
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby dave2 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:34 pm

IIRC the line from Maryhill Central down to Finnieston was protected for the Strathclyde Supertram some point in the past.

I guess if the new fastlink to Glasgow Harbour comes about, then a branch off in SECC area to Maryhill via these tunnels would be good.

I think (with much googling and wiki'ing) that this is the location of stations etc http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?oe=utf ... b98cfcc506 and it would seem that this line would fit neatly into the centre of the 'circle' formed by the North Clyde lines and the Maryhill/Anniesland line, wuithin which transport connections sseem to atke longer than they should.
dave2
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)