Not so much Hidden, more They Don't Let RiffRaff In Glasgow

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re:

Postby hungryjoe » Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:37 pm

skintobalinto wrote:Talking about that fine wine I had a summer job next to the bottling plant for EL D. It was called Deans in Pollokshaws - They delivered it into the plant in what looked like big petrol tankers hooked a large pipe into a coupling on the wall outside and pumped it in, classy eh !!!

I have never tried it (honest) but I have had a swig of buckfast once, disgusting stuff. ::):

Maybe we should start a thread - disgusting drinks you have tried?

El D. is far from disgusting, it's quite palatable, at least as palatable as Harvey's for those inclined that way.
I've never sampled Buckie, though I did sniff a bottle - that put me off. Bulk booze is transferred as you describe regardless of class.

Speaking of disgusting drinks, anyone ever try Lang's Banana Rum? It smelled like vomit but tasted divine. I had my last half of that in Baird's bar before a Gary Moore gig.
I was persuaded to try it by Big Frank Quail (R.I.P. big man). Frank was a Guinness and Banana rum man, I wouldn't fancy cleaning out his cage in the morning.
My dad used to have a party in his pub on the morning of January 2nd. All the local musicians came and backed any singers who wanted to/were forced to, get up and sing. Some of the boys from Graham's the builder's merchants always supplied a lavvy pan. A singer had to stand on the cludgie to sing then carry it around the pub while the company threw money in to it for the pub charity (Muscular Dystrophy), naturally the pan got heavier as more money landed in it, and became less manageable as the drink flowed. Much hilarity.
The last time I was there, Big Frank remained refreshed from the night before and chose to relax on the pub floor with 7 quarter gills of banana rum and four pints of Guinness on the table. Being of a helpful nature, and notwithstanding the pints of Guinness already sampled, I looked after Franks swally and ended up refreshed enough to have to spend the night in my mother's house (my own home was near Kilmarnock). My bride of 17 days viewed this with frosty aloofness. Good practice for the subsequent 19 years of our union.
Multi dinero, multi ficky fick, multi divorce.
hungryjoe
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Not so much Hidden, more They Don't Let RiffRaff In Glasgow

Postby hungryjoe » Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:51 pm

I see that The Western is now a haven for members of the R.N.V.R. My mate's father was a member and took us onto The Carrick several times. Poor old Carrick:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/City_of_Adelaide_(1864)
hungryjoe
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Bridie » Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:52 pm

"Away back in time" I used to go to the Casa D'Italia on a Sunday evening the only other place to go on a Sunday apart from the Lorne Hotel (I was under age by the way)
The Casa was quite exclusive and you had to know an Italian to sign you in... Luckily - I did :D
Yes HH,I know
Bridie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Re:

Postby Lucky Poet » Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:30 pm

Monument wrote:Driving ambition to mark history of new city hotel – Sarah Swain, The Evening Times (14 July)

Bosses behind Glasgow’s newest luxury hotel are appealing for help in commemorating its history. The 100-room, £26 million Blythswood Square will open in September in the B-Listed building which once housed the Royal Scottish Automobile Club. Work has been carried out over almost two years to restore it to its former glory, and managing director Hans Rissmann is keen to mark the building’s history in a “hall of fame” area. He said: “It would be great if we could get hold of any memorabilia so we are able to pay respect to the history of the building.” Mr Rissmann has already collected old car badges and pictures from the club’s heyday.
If you have any club memorabilia or stories write to Hans Rissmann, 188 West Regent Street, Glasgow, G2 4RU

Get searching, folks.

PS they'd best get a move on for that opening date - when I passed it the other week there was nothing but shuttering and a fat brickie having a fly smoke.
All the world seems in tune on a Spring afternoon, when we're poisoning pigeons in the park.
Lucky Poet
-
-

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:23 pm

Bridie wrote:"Away back in time" I used to go to the Casa D'Italia on a Sunday evening the only other place to go on a Sunday apart from the Lorne Hotel (I was under age by the way)
The Casa was quite exclusive and you had to know an Italian to sign you in... Luckily - I did :D

That's what they told you.
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Bridie » Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:37 pm

Dexter St. Clair wrote:
Bridie wrote:"Away back in time" I used to go to the Casa D'Italia on a Sunday evening the only other place to go on a Sunday apart from the Lorne Hotel (I was under age by the way)

What? he wasn't Italian???? 8O
Yes HH,I know
Bridie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby onyirtodd » Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:42 am

Dexter St. Clair wrote:

You're forgetting the Beacons just around the corner.
238 to 127. All in all a good afternoon's work
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby hungryjoe » Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:49 am

Ah, La Bonne Auberge of fond memory, where the witterings of the Nigels and Crawfords faded more with each pint of Stella - before it was brewed in Britain. Me and my mate didn't get drunk, we called it Stella fever.
hungryjoe
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Previous

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)