Coplawhill Works falling down

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby Sharon » Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:09 pm

They didnt know if the road would reopen tomorow.

As it stood when i spoke to the guys tho, they weren't curently doing more than take the wall down a certain amount. They were also busy lifting out parts of the collapsed roof.

So... what will be left by morning I wonder..... tho the crane and munching thing was being put to rest when i was there, so there might be something left.
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby glasgowken » Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:13 pm

Is there anything that can practicly be done here to try and save this ?

I feel so fucking helpless, while our history is being torn down and neglected by these pricks.
GK
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Flash_Andy » Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:14 pm

I would love to see them repair it, but the brickwork looks kind of complex to repair, I cant see anything else but complete demolition. :cry:
Flash_Andy
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:15 pm

I'm not hopeful at all to be honest, there seems no incentive nor desire from anyone with financial clout to make use of said clout for anything other than it's demolition.

GlasowKen, ClosetClassicist: commiserations my friends :(

Edit: It looked salvagable to me, what seem to have happened is that the ashlar fell off with a fair bit of the rubblework left still standing. The other two bays looked ok with the roof trusses (as you can see from the pics) still in place and with very little load on them (as all the slates are long gone). I don't think there's any immediate cause for it's demolition as the walls left are only supporting thier own weight now the roof has gone from it completely. As I said though, there seems little desire to spend the money.
Last edited by crusty_bint on Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
here i go, it's coming for me through the trees
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby Sharon » Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:16 pm

How about facade retention? though a good 1/3 of it has already gone....
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Alex Glass » Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:26 pm

I will make enquiries about this but going by previous experience I am sure everyone will hear before me.

If I get any new information I will post it.

Also intend to ask what is happening regarding the list referred to about listed buildings in need of repair.
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby glasgowken » Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:32 pm

Thanks Alex.
If you get the opportunity, please do try and push forward preservation, rather than demolition. This is an important building in the city's history.
GK
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby yoker brian » Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:37 pm

Sadly another part of Glasgows heritage succumbs to the bulldozer and wrecking ball. Although by sitting back and doing jack shit as another historic building is left to rot, those in power have probably done more damage to the fabric of Glasgow than any wrecking ball.

It's been a few months since we had a mysterious fire/building collapse i guess we'll have a spate of them over coming months.

I wouldnt be surprised if Building Control haven't already issued an emergency demolition order after being put under pressure (stuffed brown envelops - sorry I meant carrots dangled at the doors of the city chambers) from some developer, or am i just being cynical?

Incidently I wonder how fast they'd be to react to fix things if the City Chambers or the Mitchell was to suffer in this way.
Milk Sucks, Got Beer?
yoker brian
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby gap74 » Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:38 pm

Oh, and coincidentally just down the road from the currently being demolished Plaza Ballroom, which I haven't been past for a week or two now - is it still relatively intact?

Gary
gap74
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Sharon » Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:38 pm

Looking at those old aerial photos shows starkly just how much has been lost - be a shame to lose more.
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Sharon » Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:40 pm

gap74 wrote:Oh, and coincidentally just down the road from the currently being demolished Plaza Ballroom, which I haven't been past for a week or two now - is it still relatively intact?

Gary

Seems to be. Nothing much has visibly happened.
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby crusty_bint » Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:45 pm

Yeah Gary, the Plaza doesn't look as though it's been touched yet. Just some herras fencing round it. Between there and the Tramway used to stand Wylies garage too - which was demolished in breach of the conditions of the developers planning prmission - and to rub salt in the wound they teased us by demolishing all the site bar the listed part which was to be retained and then just cleared it one day while I was at college. It's a very sad fact that this is indeed the norm for Glasgow's heritage.
here i go, it's coming for me through the trees
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby Sharon » Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:47 pm

The final instruction for demolition does have to come from someone.... who is that someone with the love for the wreckers ball and apparent hatred for any alternative course of action?
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Fossil » Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:49 pm

past the plazza tonight I think its been gutted at the mo
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby gap74 » Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:05 pm

Yeah, the Wylies Garage loss was indeed utterly despicable.

Plaza was also mentioned when I met Historic Scotland - they said that the contractors were in the process of skipping period electrical switchgear (dimmers and the like) because they couldn't find anyone willing to take them - shame there isn't some central repository where such salvaged stuff (which isn't likely to appeal to the ordinary architectural salvage folk) can all be stored until it's absolutely certain that no organisation can give it a home.

Agreed with GK too, if all of the tram depot is coming down, then the least that can be done is to save the GCT stonework - we have a new transport musem on the way, surely this is the very stuff they should be looking to acquire?

Gary
gap74
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)