Coat of Arms at 27 Paisley Road West

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Coat of Arms at 27 Paisley Road West

Postby ibtg » Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:07 pm

From Historic Scotland website:-

25 AND 27 PAISLEY ROAD WEST AND 1, 7, 9 AND 11 STANLEY STREET (Ref:33541)This building is in the Glasgow, City Of Council and the Glasgow Burgh. It is a category B building and was listed on 29/03/1995.

Group Items: N/A, Group Cat: N/A, Map Ref: NS 5738 6460.

Description
Late 19th century. Plain classical 4-storey tenement, 4-bay by 15-bay with shop and bank at ground to corner block. Cream sandstone ashlar; base course; channelled masonry to Nos 7-11 Stanley Street at ground; polished granite, glazed pilastrade to corner bank with deep fascia and unifying cornice, curved panel to angle; raised margins to windows above ground and cornices to those 1st and 2nd floors. Wallhead cornice and blocking course with moulded guttering.N (PAISLEY ROAD WEST) ELEVATION: 4-bay. Main door to bank in bay to left of centre, columned doorpiece (polished pink granite columns) bearing bracketed balustraded stone window guard to 1st floor window flanked by panelled dies and ball finials; modern door. Tripartite pilstrade to right and door and window to shop to outer left. Ornate heraldic corner piece above bank front at 1st floor, comprising lion and unicorn flanking shield, painted and gilded. Regular fenestration above ground.W (STANLEY STREET) ELEVATION: 15 bays. 6 bays to left slightly advanced with 7-part pilastraded bank including door to outer right; fenestration above with blind windows to each floor of wider outer left bay, regular fenestration to remaining. 9 bays of tenement to right with doors in 3rd, 5th and 7th bays and regular fenestration to floors above.8-pane timber sash and case windows predominating in tenement, some plate glass sash and case interspersed and tilt and turn modern windows above bank at 1st floor. Wallhead truncated ashlar stacks and brick stacks to mutual gables.INTERIOR: good classical bank interior; panelled timber counter with carved lion brackets dividing; panelled wainscot with pulvinated frieze and cornice, swan-neck pediment over door to washroom. Columns at intervals with Corinthian capitals. Fine classical timber clock case en suite with pilasters supporting segmental cornice, sited to rear of bank office above wainscot. Compartmentalised ceiling with decorative plasterwork and modillioned cornice.

Notes
Listed at Category B in consideration of good period bank interior.

Looks like a) The coat of Arms is something to do with the Bank, after all,
b) The original doorway is stil there, with the marble columns etc.
c) If this was listed for the reasons mentioned, what happened to the interior when the convenience stores opened? :(

So now I'm back to the PO Directories to find out which bank it was (and why it was allowed to use the Royal coat of arms of the United Kingdom as used in Scotland). And also when the use changed, as the B listing was in 1995.

Anyone been inside this shop to see what survives of the original interior?
www.mycityglasgow.co.uk
ibtg
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby robertpool » Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:31 pm

could it have been that it was put on the building simply to celebrate the Coronation of King George V and Queen Mary in 1911. Is there any evidence that it was part of the original building? Govan was still a burgh at the time...... Just a thought :?

1911 King George V and Queen Mary Coronation by Robert Pool's Glasgow Collection, on Flickr
Last edited by robertpool on Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
robertpool
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby ibtg » Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:55 pm

I've checked the coats of arms for the following Banks so far and none of them match; RBS, Clydesdale, Union Bank of Scotland, Bank of Scotland, British Linen.

Good thinking, Bobby.... worth a look. Surely the Lord Lyon would prevent the use of the Royal coat of arms of the United Kingdom as used in Scotland, by anyone except the Royals, unless your theory is correct and it was put there as an homage to them. Was that building on the boundary between Glasgow and Kinning Park?

I've checked virtual Mitchell for old photos of that area, but there are none of that building.

A trip on the bus can lead to so much work!!!
www.mycityglasgow.co.uk
ibtg
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby robertpool » Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:13 pm

it was on the corner of Paisley Road West (Govan) and Stanley Street (Kinning Park)
robertpool
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Guacho » Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:45 pm

We were in there on last years south side walk (VT's pic is from that). I'm sure Ronnie explained why the coat of arms was there. Also sure it was somrthing to do with a bank. However we were so cold and wet at that point memory fails. Inside you can see where it was a bank, but have to look carefully.
Apologies for the spurious link :roll:
Guacho
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby ibtg » Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:51 am

No need to apologise, Gaucho...........

So Ronnie knows why it is there.... I'll PM him.

Meanwhile Bobby has got me thinking, either the 1911 theory or perhaps more recently (comparatively) , the 1938 Bellahouston Exhibition?

Bet when we find out it is a forehead-slapping moment! ::):
www.mycityglasgow.co.uk
ibtg
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby robertpool » Sun Oct 20, 2013 12:59 pm

ibtg wrote:No need to apologise, Gaucho...........

So Ronnie knows why it is there.... I'll PM him.

Meanwhile Bobby has got me thinking, either the 1911 theory or perhaps more recently (comparatively) , the 1938 Bellahouston Exhibition?

Bet when we find out it is a forehead-slapping moment! ::):

it could even have been the Royal Visit in 1902
1903 Edward VII Glasgow Royal Visit Medal by Robert Pool's Glasgow Collection, on Flickr
robertpool
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby ibtg » Sun Oct 20, 2013 2:49 pm

Pack it in, Bobby, my head is spinning!! ::):
www.mycityglasgow.co.uk
ibtg
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby banjo » Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:53 am

go bobby,go bobby. ::):
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby robertpool » Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:05 am

what about the ..... 1901 exhibition, 1911 exhibition, coronation of Edward VII (1901), coronation of George V (1910), coronation of Edward VIII (1936), coronation of George VI (1936), coronation of Queen Elizabeth II (1953 - repaint) or even the centenary of the saving bank. ::):
robertpool
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby ibtg » Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:20 pm

OVERLOAD.... OVERLOAD....O-V-E-R.......Beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep! ::):
www.mycityglasgow.co.uk
ibtg
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby banjo » Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:02 pm

and the winner is bobbyyyyyyy poooooooooooooooool. :D
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby mooshimooshisan » Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:18 pm

Did you ever find the answer to this? I work quite near it.
mooshimooshisan
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby ibtg » Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:05 pm

Nope, afraid I'm no further forward - got a pm from Ronnie and he doesn't know either, but suggests I look at planning applications; but I have no idea where to start. It could have been done at any time (see Bobby's posts). 8O

I've ploughed through some Kinning Park Council records to no avail. I haven't given up the quest, just scaled the search back a bit for the moment.

If anyone out there has any knowledge on this, please let me know.
www.mycityglasgow.co.uk
ibtg
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby robertpool » Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:26 pm

I still think it's got something to do with a royal visit. The building has no great history and according to the Valuation Roll of 1913/14 it was owned by the Trustees of the Savings Bank of Glasgow and was full of tenants and no businesses.

http://www.theglasgowstory.com/imagevie ... =TGSV26053
robertpool
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)