Molly Weir, she's Tams sister

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby Apollo » Fri Aug 13, 2004 4:45 pm

Closest I've got in the library was one he did from Loch Lomond.

Pretty memorable as he did it from a hot air ballon, and the landing was none too smooth at the end. Pilot's advice "Keep your arms inside the basket till we've stopped".

He did one from Anstruther too, and reported a Beggars Benison there, but he only described at as a sort of gentleman's club. Wee bit short on the details we have on the Benisons in here Image
Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby martin » Fri Aug 13, 2004 6:18 pm

dazzababes wrote:Crusty claims not to know her? He surely lies. He'll recognise her from "The High Life"

Which, incidentally, is available on DVD.
Pif Paf Pof...
martin
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Fri Aug 13, 2004 10:24 pm

The Modern Fossil wrote:Crusty Nice picture ::):

That was me when I was nowt but a bairn... oh dearie me :wink:
here i go, it's coming for me through the trees
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby Apollo » Sat Aug 27, 2005 10:44 pm

Looks like Weir's Way wasn't just popular with a few folk in here when it was being shown regularly. Came across this news item from late 2003:

Tom Weir's enthusiastic and informative televised jaunts around Scotland were highly popular when they were first shown over 20 years ago. Now "Weir's Way" is capturing a 30% audience share once again. Admittedly, it's in the midnight to 3am slot, but it is trouncing the other night-time programmes and developing a cult following. His old-fashioned enthusiasm and polite charm has apparently spread to Internet chatrooms where friends are told to "check out the wee guy with the munchkin face and funny, woolen, bobble hat." Tom Weir, brother of the veteran actress Molly Weir, is now approaching his 90th birthday, but still tramps around Loch Lomond, walking for at least an hour each day.
Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby trudger » Sun Aug 28, 2005 1:05 am

a a a a
Last edited by trudger on Sun Sep 11, 2005 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
trudger
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby viceroy » Sun Aug 28, 2005 9:03 am

Fyfe Robertson died years ago. I don't know about Lavinia Derwent but I suspect she's no longer around either. She was the 'Tammy Troot' woman, I think?
viceroy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Weir's way

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Sun Aug 28, 2005 4:53 pm

And the tight fisted bastards at Scottish have not paid him since the seventies . No residuals here.

http://www.offthetelly.co.uk/reviews/2003/weirsway.htm
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Apollo » Sun Oct 02, 2005 10:05 pm

Molly Weir didn't forget where she came from:
Popular Scottish actress and writer Molly Weir has been praised for leaving almost all of her £1.9 million estate to charities and good causes in her will which became public this week. Molly died last November aged 94 and has left substantial legacies to such organisations as the National Trust for Scotland, Royal National Institute for Deaf People and the Arthritis Research Campaign. But she has not forgotten her roots either, by setting up an essay prize fund at Albert School in Springburn and cash going towards the care of residents of the Balornock and Springburn homes for the elderly and to Stobhill and Ruchill hospitals in Glasgow. Future royalties from her books (Shoes Were for Sunday, Best Foot Forward and Toe on the Ladder) were left to Springburn social services to benefit the elderly and the poor. Her career as an actress began in radio as Tattie Macintosh in the " It's That Man Again" (ITMA) comedy show in the 1940s with Tommy Handley and as Ivy McTweed in The McFlannels.
Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Pgcc93 » Sun Oct 02, 2005 10:17 pm

Your right Apollo her feet were firmly on the ground right to the last. And her estate's going to several worthy causes unlike those senile old bats that leave £3million to a budgie! :?

PS: Did she appear on STV years ago in a prog called Teatime Tales.......anyone?
Pgcc93
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fossil » Sun Oct 02, 2005 10:45 pm

aye pgcc i remember that wee show
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby Apollo » Mon Oct 03, 2005 12:28 am

Looks like miserable folk aren't a modern invention, as illustrated by this 1998 reply I found in a message board when hunting for tea time tales, which I can recollect too, as a bit of harmless fun. Do please note I'm quoting this:
Lavinia Derwent was some old bag who used to write childrens' books, "Tammy Troot" being her most famous. She did a stint on Tea Time tales on STV during the 70's. For those who don't know, Tea Time Tales was a 5 minute program on before Crossroads (only us Scots were subjected to it) which was originally presented by Molly Weir, then by Lavinia Derwent only for Molly Weir to take over again before she snuffed it. It was the most God awful program and very patronising too - it involved stupid stories about their childhood and they quoted Scottish slang in their "butter wouldn't melt" accents. You know the type, "Would you like some butter on your breed?". Is that enough information for you?

Replies to the poster's comments suggested others thought the poster to be a bit of a gowk :)
Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Weir's way

Postby retired tiger » Tue Oct 04, 2005 7:44 pm

Dexter St. Clair wrote:And the tight fisted bastards at Scottish have not paid him since the seventies . No residuals here.

http://www.offthetelly.co.uk/reviews/2003/weirsway.htm

I heard about the tight buggars at STV not giving the old coot any repeat fees too.
One tale I liked about him in his younger days was when he told of finishing his shift at whatever he worked at, and he and his pals roared off from Glasgow on their motorbikes to the Arrochar Alps and climbed a few hills in summer evenings.
Tough guys that generation.
retired tiger
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Apollo » Tue Oct 04, 2005 8:21 pm

Don't think I've ever heard him mention motorbikes (wouldn't that be for softies?). While ago now, but I think the train was his access tool to hills, and maybe a pushbike. Often mentions the station at Crianlarich, and accessing the West Highland Way.

Also spoke of missing the last train Glasgow from Milngavie (I think) and after spending the weekend walking and camping in the hills, had to walk home from Milngavie on a Sunday night to get to to work on Monday morning.

Similar long walk to find anyone doing that today :)
Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Previous

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)