HG walk, Saturday 31st July 2010

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: HG walk, Saturday 31st July 2010

Postby nuttytigger » Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:35 pm

I know its not much, but may as well get one last use out my card :)
nuttytigger
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby tobester » Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:00 pm

nuttytigger wrote:I know its not much, but may as well get one last use out my card :)

You not renewing it?

You can get it if youre over 25 and in full time education, ive seen a guy on it at dumbarton whos in his late 50s
tobester
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby tobester » Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:02 pm

gap74 wrote:If you're only coming from Hamilton West, the fare shouldn't be much more than a couple of quid. From town, it's £2.55 single or £2.95 for a return (unless you buy it on the train, might be more expensive depending who you get!).

True, i know a few TEs on the line and only know of about 4or5 who do the SDR rule, shouldnt really be in operation on a sat, as its off peak all day, just depends on who you get,

I always changed to CDRs at 0900, only time i invoked the NRCoC ruling is when i got a total walloper
tobester
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby nuttytigger » Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:30 pm

Not in full time education anymore, but I might still get one due to it being a 5 year free one when i went to uni and only had 4 years out it!
nuttytigger
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Vinegar Tom » Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:48 pm

I'm looking forward to this one. Only 2 stops on the train for me. I've had a wee jaunt to the Blantyre AA site, but hopefully a lot of new stuff just on my doorstep.
Glasgow ya bas!
Vinegar Tom
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:05 pm

Vinegar Tom wrote: I've had a wee jaunt to the Blantyre AA site

A mite personal there, son. One day at a time, eh?
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Vinegar Tom » Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:33 pm

My name is............
Glasgow ya bas!
Vinegar Tom
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby InkMan » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:22 pm

Hey Peeps,

Though an avid visitor I'm not a regular poster here so may I join you please?

Having grown up in Halfway I have always had an interest in Cambuslang architecture and industry. In particular I was recently stoked to see the late 1940's aerial photographs of the Dechmont Colliery from Edward Boyle's website which answered some years old standing questions I had.

Hope to see you on Saturday.

Shuggy
Cleggy you snickering floppy eared hound when courage is needed, you're ne'er around.
Those medals you wear on your moth-eaten chest should be there for bungling at which you are best.
InkMan
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Josef » Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:32 pm

Excellent, Shuggy.

We've been dying to see the next instalment of Scottish history on your left leg.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby gap74 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:11 am

OK folks, here's the plan:

Meet in the park-n-ride car park at Newton Station. We'll aim to leave at 10.15am, if that's OK by everyone? There's a little memorial cairn to the steelworks on which the car park is built near the drop off zone, I'll be lurking there.

To get there:

Anyone arriving by car, just park in the car park - it's free. Look up Newton Station Rd on maps.

Coming by train:

From Glasgow - Newton is served by two train routes. The Argyle Line and from Central High Level via the southside and Kirkhill.

Argyle Line train leaves Central Low Level at 09.37, and arrives at Newton at 09.53. Obviously it serves Partick and places further west before that if you're coming from this direction.

High Level train (which terminates at Newton) leaves Central at 09.45 and arrives at Newton at 10.14. It goes via Maxwell Park and King's Park.

Off peak return should be £2.95.

Coming from the other direction on the Argyle Line, I'd suggest the train that leaves Motherwell at 09.50 and arrives at Newton at 10.07. It calls at Hamilton West at 10.00 and Blantyre at 10.03, amongst others.

Now it's just a half walk, the itinerary above won't be completely done, but you can expect in this half some mining and agricultural ruins and relics, old railway stuff, weirs, the Clyde/Rotten Calder Path, a WWII gunsite, a lost village, a recently landscaped abandoned quarry and other bits and pieces.

As mentioned, if it's raining or has been raining, it's gonna be squelchy in places, and although now only a half day, we still won't pass any shops until almost the very end, so bring eats and drinks if you want them!

I don't know exactly how far we'll get, but I need to be heading back into town about 3ish to get to work, so we'll be back at Newton Station no later than then.

Questions?
gap74
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby nuttytigger » Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:14 am

I dont think I'm going to make it, need to go to my mums for my injections before my holiday to Mexico, they need to be done 6 weeks before we go, and its 6 weeks on monday!

I will be on the next one, just let me know!

Quite annoyed to be missing this one!! unless it'll be finished by 12 ::):
nuttytigger
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby InkMan » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:17 am

Josef wrote:Excellent, Shuggy.

We've been dying to see the next instalment of Scottish history on your left leg.

My recent tattoo of a detailed map of the buried treasure hidden beneath the Brandy Bing area could bring us all riches beyond our wildest dreams. As it is, unfortunately, inked onto on my arse I therefore shall bring a mirror, compass and shovel for the excavation!

Shuggy
Cleggy you snickering floppy eared hound when courage is needed, you're ne'er around.
Those medals you wear on your moth-eaten chest should be there for bungling at which you are best.
InkMan
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby gap74 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:31 am

Three cheers for Shuggy's arse-based treasure map, we shall be digging up the Sporty park and hoisting our chest of doubloons before the day is out!
gap74
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby John » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:34 am

I sadly won't be able to make this walk but here is an old photo in 1992 just up from Newton Station to get you all started.
'It's a sad day for capitalism when a man can't fly a midget on a kite over Central Park'
John
-
-

Postby tobester » Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:31 pm

gap74 wrote:OK folks, here's the plan:

Meet in the park-n-ride car park at Newton Station. We'll aim to leave at 10.15am, if that's OK by everyone? There's a little memorial cairn to the steelworks on which the car park is built near the drop off zone, I'll be lurking there.

To get there:

Anyone arriving by car, just park in the car park - it's free. Look up Newton Station Rd on maps.

Coming by train:

From Glasgow - Newton is served by two train routes. The Argyle Line and from Central High Level via the southside and Kirkhill.

Argyle Line train leaves Central Low Level at 09.37, and arrives at Newton at 09.53. Obviously it serves Partick and places further west before that if you're coming from this direction.

High Level train (which terminates at Newton) leaves Central at 09.45 and arrives at Newton at 10.14. It goes via Maxwell Park and King's Park.

Off peak return should be £2.95.

Coming from the other direction on the Argyle Line, I'd suggest the train that leaves Motherwell at 09.50 and arrives at Newton at 10.07. It calls at Hamilton West at 10.00 and Blantyre at 10.03, amongst others.

Now it's just a half walk, the itinerary above won't be completely done, but you can expect in this half some mining and agricultural ruins and relics, old railway stuff, weirs, the Clyde/Rotten Calder Path, a WWII gunsite, a lost village, a recently landscaped abandoned quarry and other bits and pieces.

As mentioned, if it's raining or has been raining, it's gonna be squelchy in places, and although now only a half day, we still won't pass any shops until almost the very end, so bring eats and drinks if you want them!

I don't know exactly how far we'll get, but I need to be heading back into town about 3ish to get to work, so we'll be back at Newton Station no later than then.

Questions?

Stealing my thunder with the train details, disgusting....im in a huff now ::):

For those further west, the 0937 from central leaves Anniesland at 0923, Hyndland 0926 and Partick 0928, starts from Milngavie at 0912 AND if you see a Larkhall train DONT get on it, doesnt stop at newton.
tobester
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)