Postby glasgowken » Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:12 pm

Robert Bruce would be very proud.

(I don't mean Robert THE Bruce)
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:16 pm

It was only the facade that was stone, the rest was iron and brick :wink:

The materials of the £8million new build are textured, pigmented concrete (ground level), with layered grey, silver and gold aluminium above and of course glass.

Robert Bruce was more Corbusian in his thinking so I don't think he would be all that proud.
here i go, it's coming for me through the trees
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby Josef » Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:35 pm

scallopboy wrote: I feel like I'm living in a rebuilding of Berlin in the 60's after WW2 and not Glasgow.

Actually, that's the exact same thought that occurred to me. I walk through the area to the West of Pollokshaws Road at roughly Eglinton Toll regularly, and the whole place seems to have been just been wiped clean and is gradually being replaced with buildings like these.

[Edit : East is East and West is West and the wrong one I had chose]
Last edited by Josef on Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby glasgowken » Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:04 pm

crusty_bint wrote:It was only the facade that was stone, the rest was iron and brick :wink:

The materials of the £8million new build are textured, pigmented concrete (ground level), with layered grey, silver and gold aluminium above and of course glass.

Robert Bruce was more Corbusian in his thinking so I don't think he would be all that proud.

Well even he would probably have mellowed a bit by today. Spured on by all the wonderful new buildings in the city centre :wink:

From the artist's redition, that monstrosity has all the appeal of the average B&Q. It's going to look even worse as the years set in :?
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:54 pm

Makes me sooooooo angry seeing crap like that replacing sandstone.Image
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby excoriate » Thu Apr 26, 2007 2:26 am

From an environmental sustainability point of view I'll never understand why old buildings are knocked down, especially when the construction industry is one of the most polluting sectors.

Mostly tho, I'll never understand how there can be money to develop but never to refurb.

I've spent the last few hours browsing these forums when I should have been sleeping, and have never been so depressed at such backwards logic.

Design illiteracy? Architects and their lack of immagination at re-using a space as it inhibits their ability to bullshit.

:x
excoriate
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Previous

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)