One for the railway heads

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: One for the railway heads

Postby MadMac » Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:38 am

I think someone's being funny here. The West Highland isn't electrified (the 15 code on the front is for a stopper to Helensburgh via Singer).
MadMac
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby MacotheIsles » Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:11 am

Trainz!

Sorry - my feeble attempt at a bit of Photoshop fun. It's a photo of 048 at Airdrie superimposed on a pic of a 27 at Tulloch. Still - it's a nice 'what if?...' kind of exercise. (I've also got one of a 303 sitting in the old Faslane Junction exchange sidings which have also suddenly sprouted OHLE.)
MacotheIsles
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby MacotheIsles » Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:17 am

rottenmilk...

Thank you very much indeed for that link and pic of the PEP at Bowling. Very interesting info and it's reassuring to know that at least one of my emu memories isn't complete baloney.
MacotheIsles
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby MacotheIsles » Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:20 pm

This is a bit of a long shot...

I have been very kindly invited through to Perth to do some research on the Perth Lade (cf my thread in the Around the World forum). The Bleachworks at Huntingtowerfield is a major part of this and is fortunately quite well documented and photographed - RCAHMS have a lot of very interesting pics by JR Hume. Now, this works was very near to the Almondbank Admiralty Depot and both had their own internal electrified railway system. As far as I can make out there were exchange sidings just off the Perth, Almond Valley and Methven Railway near Almondbank Station and electric locos must have transferred goods here from both Almondbank Depot and Huntingtowerfield Bleach Works. I have no idea about the electric traction, apart from the odd pic of a long-redundant catenary mast which indicates low voltage DC traction (probably in the region of 750v to 1500v DC i would think). As far as the bleachworks go the railway system seems to have been very short-lived - first appearing on the OS maps of 1933, but being long out of use by the start of the 1960s when just the odd bit of track remained. In fact an RAF aeriel shot taken in 1946 seems to show the line into the bleachworks as having been removed.

I suspect that the Admiralty and the Bleachworks shared locomotives. Has anybody ever come across anything relating to this little-known system in any of their railway literature?
MacotheIsles
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby tobester » Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:47 am

Dont know if anyones noticed the change on the train announcement system whilst travelling through Newton...

used to say

We are now approaching Newton, Change here for services to Glasgow Central via Kirkhill

now says

We are now approaching Newton, Change here for services via Mount Florida

changed during last week, i think its good as i found a few times if theres a passenger on a argyle electric train who didnt know the network and was going to central they'd get up to get off, ive stopped a few in the past.
tobester
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby hazy » Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:26 pm

7th to 20th of May in central Station . The new Airport link train will be displayed. Scale model.
Thank you. And why not.
hazy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby tobester » Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:30 pm

In the car park where the new platfrom 12 will be.
tobester
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby gap74 » Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:52 am

tobester wrote:
We are now approaching Newton, Change here for services via Mount Florida

changed during last week, i think its good as i found a few times if theres a passenger on a argyle electric train who didnt know the network and was going to central they'd get up to get off, ive stopped a few in the past.

Bit misleading though, as of the two trains an hour from Newton to Central high level, only one stops at Mount Florida - Kirkhill, Burnside, Croftfoot or King's Park would have been better, since they all stop there before going via Pollokshields East or West.
gap74
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mark N » Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:28 am

gap74 wrote:Bit misleading though, as of the two trains an hour from Newton to Central high level, only one stops at Mount Florida

And, as an aside, it's always late by the time it gets there. :roll:
Flickr-ing me: http://www.flickr.com/photos/dogdriller/
Mark N
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby tobester » Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:54 pm

True, but that's the South Clyde line for you

*ducks for cover*

North clyde and argyle clyde ya bas ::):
tobester
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mark N » Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:58 pm

I'm too new to understand all that :D
Flickr-ing me: http://www.flickr.com/photos/dogdriller/
Mark N
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

A Visit To Shields T.M.D. Nov 2008

Postby jonno22 » Sun May 03, 2009 12:11 pm

http://jonathanmcgurk.fotopic.net/c1605153.html - Shields T.M.D. (Train Maintenence Depot) Visit Sunday 2nd, Monday 3rd And Sunday 9th November 2008:

On Sunday 2nd and Monday 3rd I visited Shields T.M.D. (Train Maintenence Depot) which is an train maintenence depot for the EMUs (Electric Multiple Units). The depot is located in the Pollokshields area of Glasgow and there was a lot happening within the depot at both times of my visit. I will be writing a full report about the depot and will be a feature in Railtalk magazine hopefully by the end of this year when I should have eventually finsihed writing up the report. The purpose for my visit today was to find out information about the C4 overhaul programme which all of the EMU fleet will be / have received/ receiving and to take photographs of trains inside the maintenence shed that have been completed or in the middle or have just begun the overhaul programme. The overhaul programme is getting done both at Shields T.M.D. and Glasgow Works, Springburn. Class 334 EMU Junipers are having the overhauls done at Shields T.M.D. It takes two weeks to get a whole 3 car Juniper set completed and one out of fourty Junipers sets will be taken out of service every two weeks to receive the overhaul until all forty units are complete. The Class 318 and 320 EMUs are receving the overhauls at both Glasgow Works, Springburn and Shields T.M.D. in order to get all units completed as soon as possible. The Class 334s are getting done at Shields T.M.D. becuase Alstom (manufacturer of the Class 334s) have a maintenence team at the depot and there is a lot more mechanical and technical issues that need dealing with during the overhauls compared to a Class 318 /320. I will be visiting the depot a few times this year to keep up with how well / poor things are going during the C4 overhaul programme so please check the gallery and the railway forums / Railtalk Magazine for updates I have made to the site.

On Sunday it was a day full of goings on during my visit. Class 318 265 was inside the maintenence shed on number 10 road waiting to have new traction motors fitted ti its middle coach. Class 314 207 was sitting inside number 11 road waiting to go through exams which the nightshift team for that night will carry out. Class 334 036 was sitting inside number 10 road (opposite Class 318 265). Class 334 036 is the latest out of forty 3 - car sets in the middle of going the through the C4 overhaul programme and is just awaiting some new parts to be replaced and waiting to go through tests before it is able to be released back into passenger service. Beside Class 334 036 in number 9 road was Class 314 212 which was waiting to go through tests and maintenence. The unit had a non - multiple sticker on the left handside drivers cab window so repairs on the coupler were also waiting to be carried out which will get done by the nightshift team on the day of my visit. Class 334 021 was sitting inside number 8 road having just went through minor tests and awaiting to get released from the maintenence shed to go back out into traffic. Also in the maintenence shed at the time of my visit but no idea what work was being carried out were, Class 334 001 and another Juniper and a few Class 314s.

After visiting inside the maintenence shed I took some photographs of Class 318 254 which has been out of service since 3rd September 2007 due to derailing inside the tunnels in the Anderston area of Glasgow. The train has been sitting inside the yard for a month or two now having just came back up from Derby to repair parts of the train that had been badly damaged during the derailment. The unit should be back in service by the end of the year if not by the start of next year once the parts waiting to be fixed are delivered and fitted to the unit at Shields and a few more tests have been carried out. I then took a few photographs of Class 314 201 which was the unit inside the wheel lathe shed at the train maintenence depot having its wheels turned.

Also during my visit on Sunday Class 334 031 had been attacked with spray paint by youth vandals. The unit was sitting outside in the yard waiting to go through a few tests and exams the next which will take place the whole of next week before it is released from the depot to go back into passenger service. The unit is the latest to be released from the maintenence shed after being fitted with new bogies and couplers which is the main part of the C4 overhaul programme. It took two weeks for set 031 to be fitted with the new bogies and couplers and got released from the maintenence shed on Friday 31st October. When I went down to photograph the set the smell of the spray paint was extremely strong and the whole B end (coach 65131) at one side was completely covered in the spray paint. The British Transport Police some 2 hours later eventually came to the depot to investigate.

On Monday 3rd November 2008 I made another visit to the depot this time finding out a lot more information about the depot, the C4 overhauls that are taking place and about the wheel lathe from Willie Miller, a gaffer at Shields T.M.D. I was in the depot for three hours. When I first arrived after I signed in I went into the maintenence shed which was a lot more busy compared to Sunday's visit. Monday - Friday are the busiest days at the depot where there is a lot more maintenence work, tests and exams to be carried out. Inside the shed on Monday were the following units :

Class 334s - 009, 026, 029 and 036

Class 314s - 202 and 212

Class 320s - 322

Class 318s - 263 and 269

Class 334 009 and Class 334 026 came into the maintenence shed just after the morning rush hour for a few tests and exams to be carried out in time for the unit to go back out in traffic by the time of the evening rush hour. Class 334 029 and Class 334 036 were also inside the shed in the middle of going through a C4 overhaul and having a few exams and tests carried out to do with the overhaul.

Class 314 202 came into the maintenence shed just after the morning rush hour for a few tests and exams to be carried out in time for the unit to go back out in traffic by the time of the evening rush hour. Class 314 212 had been in the shed all weekend and was still in the shed today going through maintenence, tests and exams.

Class 320 322 was inside the maintenence shed going through tests and exams from both inside the drivers cab and from underneath the train in number 8 road.

Class 318 263 B end coach (77273 coach) and its middle coach were sitting inside number 10 road inside the maintenence shed for the middle coach waiting to be fitted with a new traction motor. Class 318 269 was also inside the maintenence shed in number 9 road. The unit had came over from Glasgow Works, Springburn after just completed a C4 overhaul and was inside the maintenence shed at Shields T.M.D being inspected by related GSM - R radio engineers so the GSM - R radios fitted to both ends of the train can be switched in and ready to use making the Class 318s the second EMU fleet in Scotland to have the GSM - R radios in full working use.

From the maintenence shed I went outside into the yard where not a lot was happening nor was there a lot of units. Class 314 207 and 216 were parked beside one another and Class 322 485 and Class 334 003 were stabled. Two translator coaches were also sitting in the yard as well as Class 318 254 which was the unit that was involved in the derailment in the tunnel in the Anderston area of Glasgow during the morning rush hour on 3rd September 2007. The train was badly damaged and went down to Derby for repairs as well as Glasgow Works, Springburn. It will be sitting in the yard until crucial parts that need to be fitted to the unit arrive and then after somewhat over a year the train will be back out in passenger service. Class 334 031 was sitting in the yard up beside and opposite the wheel lathe turning shed in the middle of being hand cleaned after being spray painted by young vandals the previous day (Read above about the Sunday report to find out more information about Class 334 031).

Last but not least I went into the wheel lathe shed where Class 156 453 was the unit in having its wheels turned. C4 overhaul and wheel lathe gaffer at Shields T.M.D., Willie Miller told me that the Class 156 DMU fleet are the worst fleet in Scotland out of both the DMU and EMU fleet getting wheel lathe duties due to flats.

If anyone requires to use any photographs for commercial or personal use then you can get in touch through the website or by sending me an e - mail - [email protected] or [email protected]

I hope you enjoy the photographs from my two day visit and remember to check back for any updates in the near future.

Enjoy!!!

Best Regards

Jonathan McGurk
jonno22
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby dave2 » Sun May 03, 2009 10:00 pm

Crikey! Me thinks you need to be a little more concise with less repetition in your captions :)
dave2
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby jonno22 » Sun May 03, 2009 11:38 pm

I try to be informative as possible. Viewers want to know different things and whatnot. At least you can't say I aint informative:P

Best Regards

Jonathan McGurk
jonno22
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

A Visit To Brush Barclay Works In Kilmarnock Tuesday 21st Ap

Postby jonno22 » Mon May 04, 2009 3:04 pm

A Visit To Brush Barclay Works In Kilmarnock Tuesday 21st April 2009 http://jonathanmcgurk.fotopic.net/c1686073.html - I was doing commercial photography work for Modern Railway Magaine at Brush Barclay Works in Kilmarnock. The main purpose for my visit to the works was to see and take photographs of the handover of the first 5 Mk3 coahes of H.S.T. set EC64 which Brush Barclay Works refurbished for First Great Western down south. The refurbishment work which was carried out on the coaches involved an entire interior overhaul (new seating, seat covers, florring, toilets etc.) into First Great Western colours and branding as well as repainting the exterior of the coaches into First Great Western Livery. More H.S.T. mk3 coaches for First Great Western are currently being / waiting to be refurbished by the skilled work force which Brush Barclay are proud and lucky to employ.

Enjoy!!!

Best Regards

Jonathan McGurk
jonno22
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)