New View

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

New View

Postby Monument » Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:50 pm

...of the tollboth steeple since they knocked down the buildings on St Andrew's Street. This was taken from directly outside Cafe Source.

A vagabond on the way.
Monument
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:04 pm

Cool! Cheers for picc'in that, don't imagine it'll be there much longer. I wish Page and Park could have seen that before coming up with thier scheme and perhaps incorporated it.

Anyway, well done, cheers, great, thanks a lot :D
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby Socceroo » Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:05 pm

I misread that there, brains too tired, i read something like since they knocked down the Tolbooth Steeple 8O

What building was it that they knocked down there? It's a wee pocket of the City i am not too familiar with, keep meaning to take a wander down there some lunchtime. Must do it soon.

Really like that Square though and the Church - the whole area has got a certain atmosphere about it. It's got something that you cannot replicate, if you know what i mean.
Socceroo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Cool

Postby job78989 » Wed Mar 01, 2006 6:16 pm

Cool picture thanks. I think its one for the archive as crusty say the new build will soon obscure it once again what a pity.
job78989
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby escotregen » Wed Mar 01, 2006 7:40 pm

Monument (oh... your Ataver really still has a disturbing effect on me :oops:) ... anyway I wanted to say brilliant opportunity photograph of the Tron. I always really love the once-in-lifetime type shots like that.
escotregen
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby job78989 » Wed Mar 01, 2006 9:29 pm

eh? Tollbooth, I think!
job78989
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby onyirtodd » Wed Mar 01, 2006 9:57 pm

Socceroo wrote:I misread that there, brains too tired, i read something like since they knocked down the Tolbooth Steeple 8O

What building was it that they knocked down there? It's a wee pocket of the City i am not too familiar with, keep meaning to take a wander down there some lunchtime. Must do it soon.

Really like that Square though and the Church - the whole area has got a certain atmosphere about it. It's got something that you cannot replicate, if you know what i mean.

I think it was part of the Police/ Stipendiary Magistrates Court buildings. The scene of my only unpaid appearance before any bench.
238 to 127. All in all a good afternoon's work
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Monument » Thu Mar 02, 2006 9:39 am

The district court is on the opposite corner, and there is also a court building on the same side of St Andrew's St, closer to the Saltmarket.

The buildings which were demolished have been empty for at least 2 years. The one on the corner was an old tenement building which looked as though it had latterly been used for commercial purposes. Next door was the 'Star Clothing Factory' according to the sign, which I think might have actually been a warehouse. This was a fairly unattractive building compared to those around it. I am sure someone knows more about these buildings than I do though...
A vagabond on the way.
Monument
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fossil » Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:42 am

Yeah I heard The Beatles stayed in the building when it was a hotel back in the 60’s. Can anyone confirm this?

Fossil
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby HollowHorn » Thu Mar 02, 2006 6:53 pm

Socceroo wrote:What building was it that they knocked down there?

Looks like it was this one?

Socceroo wrote:Really like that Square though and the Church - the whole area has got a certain atmosphere about it. It's got something that you cannot replicate, if you know what i mean.

Found this beautiful pic on "Glasgow Guide Forums" Lost the owners name though, if I can find it again I'll post it here.
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Vinny the Mackem » Fri Mar 03, 2006 2:07 pm

Monument wrote:The district court is on the opposite corner, and there is also a court building on the same side of St Andrew's St, closer to the Saltmarket.

The building on the opposite corner (the red brick building) is District Court number 1, basically the custody Court. I've previously posted piccies of the cell areas in that building. It also houses the Glasgow Police Museum. The other Court building on the same side of St Andrew's Street can just be seen in the piccy posted by Hollowhorn and is known as the "complex", where the other day to day District Court business takes place. It also houses the fines office.
Vinny the Mackem
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)