Glasgow to edinburgh in 10 mins

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Glasgow to edinburgh in 10 mins

Postby Sharon » Fri Feb 18, 2005 3:40 pm

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/hi/news/5035776.html#

Wonder if this will ever get off the ground???

* pun intended
Beware of yawning dogs.
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Targer » Fri Feb 18, 2005 4:22 pm

This proposed project and it is weather conditional--"When hell freezes over". For one thing the cost is massive and another the technical problems are not ironed out. Based on past and fairly recent experience the powers that be have not been able to set up a transportation system (rail etc) infrastructure that would link Scotlands airports (Prestwick, Glasgow and Edinburgh) to the main cities (Glasgow,Edinburgh). This system is a priority but all that has happened has been bickering between Glasgow and Edinburgh over connection to their own airports. I see this proposed system as "A pie in the sky).
Targer
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Pgcc93 » Fri Feb 18, 2005 4:43 pm

Targer wrote:This proposed project and it is weather conditional--"When hell freezes over". I see this proposed system as "A pie in the sky).

Can't you tell its Friday and a slack news day at the top of Renfield Street :?:
Pgcc93
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Ronnie » Fri Feb 18, 2005 6:30 pm

Pgcc93 wrote:Can't you tell its Friday and a slack news day at the top of Renfield Street :?:

If you think Friday is slow, wait until you see Saturday's Evening Times ... with me and a certain Glasgow hill splashed all over it 8)
upupdowndownleftrightleftrightbastart
Ronnie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby escotregen » Fri Feb 18, 2005 6:59 pm

As I railed on (no pun intended) about in my posting on skyscraper - Glasgow cannot organise a decent, or even working, link from Glasgow Central to the SECC never mind a fats interlink to Edinburgh
escotregen
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby cumbo » Fri Feb 18, 2005 8:01 pm

Best thing about Edinburgh is the train back to Glasgow. True :)
cumbo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby yoker brian » Sat Feb 19, 2005 12:48 am

To quote one of Karen Dunbar's characters from Chewin the Fat.

"I Smell Shite!"
Milk Sucks, Got Beer?
yoker brian
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby donjuan » Sat Feb 19, 2005 4:51 pm

I saw a television program about these maglev trains about a year ago, apparently if you put them in a vacuum they can go three or four times faster than Concord, there was talk of a tunnel between London and New York, which would take just over one hour between city's.
[url=http://www.last.fm/user/DonJuanHG/?chartstyle=overallnamostylewoborder] [img]http://imagegen.last.fm/overallnamostylewoborder/recenttracks/DonJuanHG.gif[/img] [/url]
donjuan
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby kokotheclown » Mon Feb 21, 2005 1:28 pm

The Munich airport maglev is at a fairly advanced stage of planning. Building should start this year or next.

http://www.bmg-bayern.de./en/index.php
kokotheclown
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Grahame » Mon Feb 21, 2005 2:11 pm

I can remember travellin on the Birmingham maglev link between the airport and the station. The main problem I thought was that they didn't have any curved sections of track - the bends consisted of short straight segments - so the ride was really unpleasant as the train made a series of short abrupt turns instead of long smooth turns going round corners.
But maybe they've solved those problems now?
Grahame
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Bruce » Tue Feb 22, 2005 2:01 pm

donjuan wrote:apparently if you put them in a vacuum they can go three or four times faster than Concord

Vacuum! - Sounds like a pretty good description of North Lanarkshire & the Falkirk area.

Maybe a Glasgow to Edinburgh maglev route would work afterall?
... they’re all made out of ticky tacky, and they all look just the same.
Bruce
First Stripe
First Stripe

Maglevs

Postby dcvr » Tue Feb 22, 2005 10:59 pm

I remember reading in new scientist that China already has one of these, and has plans to build a much bigger one.

A quick google threw up this: http://edition.cnn.com/2005/BUSINESS/01/25/china.maglev.reut/

I agree that it's unlikely to happen if the Government (central or local) are involved though. It's taken them 35+ years to build the M74, and they're still rattling on about possibilities for the Cross-rail and airport links. Transport projects just don't seem to be their forte!

But hey, I'm just cynical :)
dcvr
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)