Anyone have more information on this Church this is all I could find. It looks like it was converted into flats.
603, 605 Pollokshaws Road, Strathbungo Parish Church, Glasgow
Date Listed: 15 December 1970
Historic Scotland Building ID: 32397
OS Grid Coordinates: 258047, 662818
Latitude/Longitude: 55.8376, -4.2683
Location: A77, Glasgow, Glasgow City G41 2QF
Postcode: G41 2QF
Church with tower built 1886 by J MacKissack (of MacKissack and Rowan) who was a member of the congregation; on site of and retaining part of Charles Wilson's church of 1839. Combines Romanesque and Scots Gothic elements. Snecked and stugged ashlar, polished dressings, slate roofs. Lofty gabled front to street with massive stepped buttresses, sculptured doorway, square tower to left also with stepped buttresses, walls almost blank to belfry stage, open crown spire springing from domed finials and surmounted by little lantern. Church HALL to rear (E) incorporates work by Wilson.
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
BN Nov. 5th 1886.
Neglected, and no longer in Ecclesiastical use. Competition actually won by J Ritchie, but MacKissack secured the commission.
Source: Historic Scotland
James McKissack was one of Scotland's most prolific cinema architects. McKissack’s designs, spread throughout Central Scotland, reflected every significant new trend in British cinema design, from the earliest cinemas of the Edwardian period, inserted into existing shop units, to the most glamorous ‘super cinemas’ of the late-1930s, and even include Scotland’s first specialist ‘art house’ cinema – the Cosmo [now GFT] in Glasgow. Notwithstanding having produced so vast and significant a body of work, the details of McKissack’s remarkable life have largely been forgotten by architectural history and the majority of his designs have long since been demolished.
James McKissack was born in Glasgow in 1875, the son of John McKissack, a successful architect in the city. At that time McKissack Senior had recently formed a partnership with William G. Rowan and this was to continue 1890.
John McKissack, born in 1844, was noted for his church designs, in particular Girvan Parish Church, Clydebank United Free Church and another in Tarbert, Loch Fyne. Many other churches designed before 1890 are attributed to him, but were probably actually the work of his partner, Rowan. These include churches in Pollokshields, Paisley, Queen’s Park, Govanhill and Swinton Road, Glasgow. By 1890 when the partnership was dissolved, James McKissack was already working for his father as an apprentice, having joined the firm in 1889 at the age of 14. He was to continue in this role until John McKissack’s death in August 1915 at the age of 71.
Having commenced his career under his father’s tutelage, James McKissack would have spent a lot of time copying and working up his designs, for then, as now, drawing was a vital professional skill for the architects, designers and artists. Consequently, in 1890 the McKissack attended drawing classes at Glasgow School of Art. There, staff and students had a keen awareness of the need to educate first-rate designers for what was the ‘Second City of the British Empire’. Drawing at this time was instilled as a professional language requiring great precision on the part of the draftsman. The following year McKissack attended the Glasgow and West of Scotland Technical College to study Architectural and Building Construction under Professor Gomlay A.R.I.B.A.
As McKissack Senior was a successful architect, he could afford to send his son to Europe to study and so in 1891 the young James McKissack travelled in Italy and France. As essential parts of an architect’s training included sketching details of architectural construction and classical façade composition, it can be assumed that McKissack filled many sketch books with studies of the buildings he saw. In 1900, at the age of 25, he commenced practice in Glasgow, in partnership with his father. He clearly had aptitude, but was also fortunate to be able to work in the family firm at such a young age.