Old street singer Royal Exchange Square in Ingram Street.

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Old street singer Royal Exchange Square in Ingram Street.

Postby Oldtimer » Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:08 pm

Hi, many years ago, more than I care to think about, there was a street singer who performed every Saturday afternoon, whilst standing amidst the pillars, in front of the Royal Exchange In Ingram Street back in the 1950's.

If I remember correctly, he played the accordion and sang the more classical type songs.
Crowds would gather around him as he sang, his voice amplified by the natural acoustics of the front of the building.
When he finished a song, the people in the crowd would put money into the tub, which was placed on the pavement in front of him.

He was very popular and drew a large crowd when he performed there on Saturdays, people obviously enjoyed his singing and playing, by the way in which most of them rewarded him with a few coins placed into his tub.

I often wondered who he was and whatever became of him. He was no young man as I remember him, back in the late 1950's and I dare say he has passed on by now?
If anyone can come up with some background knowledge or know anything about this old gent and posted it in reply, I would be extremely grateful.
Thank you.
Old-timer from Glasgow now in Canada.
Oldtimer
Just settling in
Just settling in

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)