glasgow at christmas

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

glasgow at christmas

Postby wullie pettigrew » Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:22 am

what a wonderfull place it was to a seven year old from the sticks (motherwell) at this time of year .
going in in the morning on the low level train with smoke from the steam engine billowing in the window , never ever forget that smell .getting dragged round goldbergs , lewis's and bremners . the christmas displays in these stores were nothing short of magnificent in those pre microchipped days . lunch in a union street tea room with waitresses in black uniforms . the afternoon giving way to the dark evening and the cold that hit you as you left every shop . mum buying fresh fish for our tea in a little place near glasgow cross , up a close and under a railway arch .
and the highlight of my day , going into roberts stores in argyle street ? for a motherwell strip for my parcel .
sore feet and a long walk back to the central for the train home and the bus to jerviston . to some this day would be an absolute ordeal and in time it so became for me but as an ex pat who through illness has had a bit of time to reminice , these are true cherished memories .

thank you for letting me loose with the nostalgia .

im getting old !
wullie pettigrew
Just settling in
Just settling in

Re: glasgow at christmas

Postby WeeGee » Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:24 pm

Some lovely memories there Wullie! Nostalgia is always good :-)
I loved going to Goldbergs with my nana at Christmas to see santa then off to George Sq to see the lights. Now it's my turn to be the grown up as I am taking my son to see santa at Frasers then the lights in George Sq this Sunday.....oh and then panto at the pavilion - think I am more excited than him!!
It's not how it looks....honest
WeeGee
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby RDR » Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:03 pm

Roberts Stores! One of the best and biggest sports shops in Glasgow. Wonder what happened to them?
He advocated for the weak against the strong, the poor against the rich and labour against capital.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby tobester » Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:05 pm

My favourite memory was the window display at goldbergs at the candleriggs entrance, my parents took me and my sister up to meet my aunt, who worked there at the time, and we used to stare in the window at the displays, the shop also reminded me of the grace brothers store
tobester
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby MacotheIsles » Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:06 pm

Mr Pettigrew!

Very evocative memories indeed! Strangely enough I too used to be taken from Jerviston to see the Christmas displays in Glasgow (early to late Sixties) and I share many of your recollections. For me the highlights had to be George Square and the Argyle Arcade. I think part of the magic depended on coming into the city from 'the sticks': it made it all the more surreal and special.

Used to visit Santa's Grotto in the Co-op Department store in Scott Street (Motherwell) too though.
MacotheIsles
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby cumbo » Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:13 am

More of this kind of thing.
cumbo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:19 am

cumbo wrote:More of this kind of thing.

can be found at Glasgow Guide moderated by Cordia.
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Big A » Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:19 pm

Good to see another Motherwell supporter too. As a Glasgow Southsider, I know Motherwell very well too as my mum hails from Cleekhimin and have a lot of family spread over Motherwell, Wishaw and Carfin.
Big A
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby hungryjoe » Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:34 pm

Big A wrote:Good to see another Motherwell supporter too. As a Glasgow Southsider, I know Motherwell very well too as my mum hails from Cleekhimin and have a lot of family spread over Motherwell, Wishaw and Carfin.

The difference between Motherwell and Wishay?

Motherwell is famous for coal and steel and Wishay is famous for stealin' coal. :wink:
Multi dinero, multi ficky fick, multi divorce.
hungryjoe
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Pointyears » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:07 am

Lewis's Christmas windows were phenomenal - the store itself kept me in He-Man and Star Wars toys throughout the eighties and my Granny in hazlett and salmon for most of her life. Glorious shop - though Goldbergs' toy buyer bought from America meaning they had (this may mean nothing to the less sad among you) ltd edition Masters of the Universe and Secret Wars stuff before anywhere else. Just, just happy days!
Pointyears
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby BillM » Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:28 pm

hungryjoe wrote:
Big A wrote:Good to see another Motherwell supporter too. As a Glasgow Southsider, I know Motherwell very well too as my mum hails from Cleekhimin and have a lot of family spread over Motherwell, Wishaw and Carfin.

The difference between Motherwell and Wishay?

Motherwell is famous for coal and steel and Wishay is famous for stealin' coal. :wink:

No, it was the other way round!
BillM
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby the researcher » Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:22 pm

i remember my dad taking me in the car to see the lights and also stopping at george square dont remember being taken to any of the department stores at xmas though
THE FLYING SCOT MADE BY RATTRAYS IN GLASGOW THE BEST BICYCLE EVER MADE
the researcher
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby robertpool » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:43 am

robertpool
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)