One for the railway heads

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: One for the railway heads

Postby MotoMad » Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:05 pm

crusty_bint wrote: i.e. they're not a bawhair away from Dickensian!
MotoMad
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby hazy » Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:31 pm

MotoMad wrote:Here's 380101! :)

http://cjm.fotopic.net/c1782641_1.html

how the feck did you get them sneaky. :wink:
Thank you. And why not.
hazy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:36 am

Were these not meant for the now canceld GARL link ? where will they be used now ?
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby aland » Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:56 am

they are still needed as the 314's are getting to be life expired. reckon they will get used on ayrshire lines and possibly the airdire to bathgate aka helensburgh to edinburgh lines
aland
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Alycidon » Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:49 pm

Mori wrote:Were these not meant for the now canceld GARL link ? where will they be used now ?

A number of 334s (sixteen has been suggested on another forum) are needing to be released for the Airdrie to Bathgate opening, the new 380s will replace them on the Ayr line, which will once again cause a row because it will appear that Glasgow gets the new trains while Edinburgh gets hand-me-downs, (aw the shame) ::):
[img]http://www.jhowie.force9.co.uk/emu314carcream.gif[/img]

We must perform a Quirkafleeg!!!!
Alycidon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby aland » Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:07 pm

fecking send the 380's to bathgate, let them have all the teething probs, the 334's are running okay now. think i'd rather have a 334 than one of these rancid things. never thought i'd say it but i smile when i see a 318 on the train home, at least i know i will get there roughly on time
aland
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby MacotheIsles » Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:13 pm

There's something o' the Jimmy Shands about them, with that vast corridor connection extended.
MacotheIsles
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby BrigitDoon » Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:16 pm

MacotheIsles wrote:There's something o' the Jimmy Shands about them...

I've googled, but I don't understand. I had Joseph Merrick in mind, actually. Functional they may be, but they're harsh on the eye.
UXB
BrigitDoon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby hazy » Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:20 pm

BrigitDoon wrote:
MacotheIsles wrote:There's something o' the Jimmy Shands about them...

I've googled, but I don't understand. I had Joseph Merrick in mind, actually. Functional they may be, but they're harsh on the eye.

The front end looks like a accordian. :?
Thank you. And why not.
hazy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:03 pm

ET

I see the Platforms have survived from the cuts.

The construction of new platforms at Central was announced last year as part of the £210million Glasgow Airport Rail Link project, which was scrapped in September by the Scottish Government.

The creation of platforms 12 and 13, which would have serviced the branch line to Glasgow Airport, is now part of a £180m investment package that survived the cuts.

They will provide additional platform space and enable the introduction of new, longer trains on the Ayrshire and Inverclyde routes in autumn 2010.
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby dave2 » Fri Nov 20, 2009 12:21 am

Typical ET - the track to Paisley and platform lengthening is funded by Network Rail. TS was only funding the bit from Paisley St James to Airport.
dave2
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby hazy » Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:16 pm

they will be doing rail trials in early feb.
Thank you. And why not.
hazy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby BrigitDoon » Sat Nov 21, 2009 12:22 pm

I'm thinking of treating myself to a wee locomotive.

I have my eye on Hornby's Clan Buchanan, but it's a bit pricey at £100+ (depending on where you look).

I was also think of the Class 37 if I could make up my mind which colour scheme.

When I went down to London on the overnight sleeper in July, I was surprised to see what I recognised as locomotives more usually seen hauling freight. I think they were in EWS colours. I've looked up the Caledonian sleeper on Wikipedia and it mentions the Class 37, Class 67 and Class 90. I know it wasn't the 37, but which of the others was it? I'm sure there were 2 locomotives, come to think of it.

Can anyone help out here? The train left Glasgow Central for London at 2300 (roughly) on 16th July. How do I find out which locomotives they were?

My grandad was signalman at Cheddar, so my mum, auntie and uncles had the best train set in the Cheddar Valley: the Strawberry Line. Unfortunately, Beeching closed it down before my generation could play with it. We had to make do with the main line from Weston-super-Mare to Temple Meads when Grannie and Grandad could spare the time to take us over there.

I feel I'm owed some trains to play with. :D

Dad came home with, I think, a Castle Class locomotive and three Pullman carriages one day and I remember some track being laid out on a board in the end bedroom for a while. I thought this a good thing but no-one had the enthusiasm to build some scenery for it and it disappeared. Dad sold the locomotive and carriages some years later having first banned little fingers from going near them.

Aircraft took over and dad ended up joining an R/C flying club instead.
UXB
BrigitDoon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby aland » Sat Nov 21, 2009 2:04 pm

it would be a class 90 from central on the sleepers, havent a clue about the number tho

if you fancy getting yourself a train set either go down to D&F models in bell street or Pastimes ay St Georges cross and the guys will give you loads of advice. there is also the big model rail show in february at the secc
aland
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Autolycus » Sat Nov 21, 2009 6:35 pm

aland wrote: ........

if you fancy getting yourself a train set ..............

You could have had the National Express east coast franchise quite cheaply recently :wink:
Autolycus
Autolycus
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)