Glasgow central ticket people...

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby GlasgowDancer » Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:52 am

Alan L wrote:I agree with the original point of the thread. The ticket inspectors are Central are almost all a bunch of abrasive buggers.

One bizarre incident that springs to mind was on the day of the Robbie Williams gig at Hampden last year. There were seperate (huge) queues for both normal punters and for Mount Florida tickets only at the high level station.

With 5 minutes to spare, I decided to chance the low level ticket booth. This had a massive queue as well, however there were two chaps with ticket issuing machines standing alongside with much less of a queue. When I reached the front, I was informed that they too were only selling tickets to Mount Florida. I explained that my train to Whifflet was leaving in a couple of minutes and that sending me to the back of the other queues would result in me missing said train, but they were having none of it. Suffice to say, a number of swearies were uttered at that point.

I've a fair few other incidents I could bore you with, but won't bother. In any case, the inspectors on the Argyle Line, which I currently use, are actually OK.

Aye...Ive saw things like that happening to a few other people before too.

Consiquently....I remember coming come from Queen St one night as i was at my friends and got on at some station in the west end. I'm never EVER out that way, and up until that point I had never been in Queen St low level in my life, never had any need to be. I didnt realise their was actual proper barriers that you have to run your ticket through. It being late at night I got on the train, payed for my ticket, and must have left it on the train by accident. Got off the train and got to the barriers, searched around a bit for my ticket and then realised I must have left it. I walked over to some woman and I was just about to say can I buy another one, when she completley cut me off and said " sorry hen youl have to get back on the train" I said " excuse me "? " I'm not going back on any train now where can I buy a ticket ". She sold me one and I scowered at her as I walked off....ignorant has hell some of them, theirs no need for it.
GlasgowDancer
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Peekay » Wed Apr 18, 2007 11:39 am

I can't understand why people seem unable to grasp this whole "ticket buying" procedure. It's not exactly SOPs for the SAS.

Here is the bit that seems to trip people up! You have a whole two options upon your arrival at the station. One is to buy a ticket at the ticket office, if "no" ticket office is in the station wait for a train and buy it off the Conductor/T.E. If at the end of your journey no conductor/T.E has appeared (as often happens during rush hour) there will be lovely, smiley T.Es' at the platform end for you to buy a ticket off.

Do not expect the bloke at the end of the platform to sell you one on your way onto a train. He normally won't! Two reasons why not. One, you're probably late with a bad attitude, two, he's not allowed (prying eyes in the sky see all too). It's in his financial interests to sell you a ticket (8% of sales are his) but he just isn't allowed (and could be reprimanded just because you can't get your arse out of bed). He's also on the platform past the barriers. You're not allowed on the platform past the barriers without a ticket. If everyone started buying from the platforms can you imagine the malarky at 8.30am with hundreds piling off trains and hundreds trying to buy tickets off the T.Es. It just wouldn't work! We'd end up with more wee greetin' coupins every morning.

PK
Peekay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Flyingscot » Wed Apr 18, 2007 3:07 pm

For those with zonecards, best thing to do is buy your ticket the Friday before it runs out. Usually quiet.

I remember going into Glasgow one Saturday morning, not particularly busy but those familiar with the diesel trains on Paisley Canal and East Kilbride lines etc. will know that the Guard has to sell tickets and open and close the doors (as the driver can't do it). He ends up selling about 1 or 2 tickets because of frequent stops and door openings. So at the end about half the train didn't have tickets.

We decamp at Central and get told to all buy tickets. 2 people with machines do this, and we stand in a line with others from an Ayr train or something, nearly 10 minutes after the train arrived I got to the front of the queue. I believe in such circumstances First Scotrail should be told to GTF, the train arrives at a certain time, not a certain time plus 10 minutes because they have such poor operational practices, with doors. Now a ticket machine has been put in, but have you seen how long it takes to use the ticket machines for some folk.

I remember getting a Paisley Canal train on the February holiday Monday, leaves at 38 mins past from Central. I turn up at 30 past, no platform number. I wait at the main board and a couple of mins later, platform 11a is shown. I walk to platform 11a, quite a long walk, and as I get halfway down platform 11, we are told to 'run' by the guard. I walked all the way, no way was I running when I had been there in plenty time esp when platform 11 was empty and a train hasd just used equally empty platform 13. Pensioners who had turned up later and people pulling luggage were sprinting to catch it. I get to about 20m from the train and was told by the ticket examiner that I'd need to hurry. I mentioned to her that I was there in plenty of time and it was unfair on old people. I mention that they perhaps should't put a train in such a stupid location if they wanted away quickly. I was told "They always put Canal trains here (no they don't), and that it's no our fault where they put the trains why does everyone complain to us?" Heres a hint, you are in contact with the passengers, so you get customer feedback and pass it on. You tell your boss your sick of the complaints, and do it enough they don't put trains there. Job done. Perhaps a discount should be given for using 11a since it is not really in Central, and you've walked a km of the journey anyway!
Flyingscot
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby GlasgowDancer » Wed Apr 18, 2007 3:39 pm

Flyingscot wrote:For those with zonecards, best thing to do is buy your ticket the Friday before it runs out. Usually quiet.

I remember going into Glasgow one Saturday morning, not particularly busy but those familiar with the diesel trains on Paisley Canal and East Kilbride lines etc. will know that the Guard has to sell tickets and open and close the doors (as the driver can't do it). He ends up selling about 1 or 2 tickets because of frequent stops and door openings. So at the end about half the train didn't have tickets.

We decamp at Central and get told to all buy tickets. 2 people with machines do this, and we stand in a line with others from an Ayr train or something, nearly 10 minutes after the train arrived I got to the front of the queue. I believe in such circumstances First Scotrail should be told to GTF, the train arrives at a certain time, not a certain time plus 10 minutes because they have such poor operational practices, with doors. Now a ticket machine has been put in, but have you seen how long it takes to use the ticket machines for some folk.

I remember getting a Paisley Canal train on the February holiday Monday, leaves at 38 mins past from Central. I turn up at 30 past, no platform number. I wait at the main board and a couple of mins later, platform 11a is shown. I walk to platform 11a, quite a long walk, and as I get halfway down platform 11, we are told to 'run' by the guard. I walked all the way, no way was I running when I had been there in plenty time esp when platform 11 was empty and a train hasd just used equally empty platform 13. Pensioners who had turned up later and people pulling luggage were sprinting to catch it. I get to about 20m from the train and was told by the ticket examiner that I'd need to hurry. I mentioned to her that I was there in plenty of time and it was unfair on old people. I mention that they perhaps should't put a train in such a stupid location if they wanted away quickly. I was told "They always put Canal trains here (no they don't), and that it's no our fault where they put the trains why does everyone complain to us?" Heres a hint, you are in contact with the passengers, so you get customer feedback and pass it on. You tell your boss your sick of the complaints, and do it enough they don't put trains there. Job done. Perhaps a discount should be given for using 11a since it is not really in Central, and you've walked a km of the journey anyway!

I enjoyed that rant :D . Platform 11a is a horrible place, my Wymees < Or how ever u spell it bay train leaves from there sometimes depending on what time i finish work, and its a nightmare. Like u say, the trains sat there for about 10 minutes before they put a platform up, and then uv got like 4 minutes to walk to it, I'm just waiting on the day I miss one of them trains so I can shout at CS advisors. See how they like it :evil: .
GlasgowDancer
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby dave2 » Wed Apr 18, 2007 3:40 pm

The problem is the First Scotrail run trains and Network rail allocate platforms.
dave2
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Peekay » Wed Apr 18, 2007 3:57 pm

GlasgowDancer wrote:[. Like u say, the trains sat there for about 10 minutes before they put a platform up,

That's while they're getting cleaned. Otherwise everyone would moan about manky trains, wouldn't they? ::):

PK
Peekay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby e2wufos1 » Wed Apr 18, 2007 4:17 pm

Just from reading this post with interest i'm guessing you either work or used to work on the railway Peekay?
e2wufos1
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Schiehallion » Wed Apr 18, 2007 4:28 pm

Peekay wrote:I can't understand why people seem unable to grasp this whole "ticket buying" procedure. It's not exactly SOPs for the SAS.

Here is the bit that seems to trip people up! You have a whole two options upon your arrival at the station. One is to buy a ticket at the ticket office, if "no" ticket office is in the station wait for a train and buy it off the Conductor/T.E. If at the end of your journey no conductor/T.E has appeared (as often happens during rush hour) there will be lovely, smiley T.Es' at the platform end for you to buy a ticket off.

Do not expect the bloke at the end of the platform to sell you one on your way onto a train. He normally won't! Two reasons why not. One, you're probably late with a bad attitude, two, he's not allowed (prying eyes in the sky see all too). It's in his financial interests to sell you a ticket (8% of sales are his) but he just isn't allowed (and could be reprimanded just because you can't get your arse out of bed). He's also on the platform past the barriers. You're not allowed on the platform past the barriers without a ticket. If everyone started buying from the platforms can you imagine the malarky at 8.30am with hundreds piling off trains and hundreds trying to buy tickets off the T.Es. It just wouldn't work! We'd end up with more wee greetin' coupins every morning.

PK

The thing is PK, people treat the railway environment like it's theirs to abuse. They think nothing of pishing, fighting, swearing and showing their boabies in a place that is someone's place of work every bit as much as your office or shop counter is to you.

When Network Rail go on strike you get some greetin face on the news wanting to know why ScotRail don't run buses? Do British Airways put on buses when the air traffic controllers go on strike?

They think they have the right to pay whenever and wherever it suits them. Need to try that one in the pub. "Cheers barman I'll give you money later, no time just now cos I couldn't get out of bed in time to get money out the hole in the wall."

They don't mind ferries being off in high winds or planes being off in ice/fog but they think the railway should employ men standing at 10 yard intervals all along the track from here to Aberdeen to kick back the earth if there's torrential rain and landslides.

I have never heard someone arguing with the bus driver that they've bought a ticket and are therefore entitled to a seat. That says it all.

And the best one that happens throughout the railway every day...

"I've lost my ticket, I need another one?"
"Do you have proof of purchase?"
"No, but I bought one and lost it, you'll have to give me another one."

Somehow cannae imagine them going into the Bank Of Scotland,
"I've lost a tenner, you'll need to give me another one."
Schiehallion
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Peekay » Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:56 pm

e2wufos1 wrote:Just from reading this post with interest i'm guessing you either work or used to work on the railway Peekay?

Yeah! I worked on the barriers through an agency. The agency bit disappeared for reasons relatively unknown to me and i'd now give my right bollock to get back full-time employed directly by Scotrail.

If anyone from Scotrail is reading these couple of threads;
You are a wonderful organisation that treats your staff like little darlings. I would oh-so much like to work in that fine, and spotlessly clean, establishment called Glasgow Central. Your efficiancy is second to none (unlike that GNER and Virgin mob. Charlatans!) and I truly don't understand why this lot moan about every little thing. I hope I have justified my loyalty to you with my un-erring faith throughout this, and the other, thread.

Basically, Geeza joab!

PK
Peekay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:57 pm

Peekay wrote:If anyone from Scotrail is reading these couple of threads;
You are a wonderful organisation that treats your staff like little darlings. I would oh-so much like to work in that fine, and spotlessly clean, establishment called Glasgow Central. Your efficiancy is second to none (unlike that GNER and Virgin mob. Charlatans!) and I truly don't understand why this lot moan about every little thing. I hope I have justified my loyalty to you with my un-erring faith throughout this, and the other, thread.

Basically, Geeza joab!

PK

Don't know about that PK. The ones I know say they have to work twelve hour shifts whilst only getting paid for six or seven (through that should-definitely-be-illegal split-shift thing).
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby KonstantinL » Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:28 pm

Motherwell is one of the main stations in the Glasgow area. It's manned and has a ticket booth but try getting a ticket there. They have two windows and one of them is usually closed. The other is usually taken up by a wee old woman that's booking a ticket to Blackpool four months in advance but doesn't know what time she's going, when she's coming back or what the hell she's doing.

Oh and if you think Scotrail employees are rude, try going on a First Bus.
KonstantinL
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Bingo Bango » Fri Apr 20, 2007 8:43 am

KonstantinL wrote:Motherwell is one of the main stations in the Glasgow area. It's manned and has a ticket booth but try getting a ticket there. They have two windows and one of them is usually closed. The other is usually taken up by a wee old woman that's booking a ticket to Blackpool four months in advance but doesn't know what time she's going, when she's coming back or what the hell she's doing.

Oh and if you think Scotrail employees are rude, try going on a First Bus.

you make a very good point regarding the politeness, or lack of, of firstbus drivers.

twice now i have tried to buy a special 3 quid all day ticket that gets me out to xscape at braehead (xtreme sport needs an xtremely good bus service is the tag line!) The first time, the guy didnt believe it existed but grudgingly printed me a 3 pound ticket and took my money. i looked back on his bus and the adverts were all over it!

second time, i get on in a different location, bishopbriggs, and try to buy very same ticket. guy says in a world weary tone '2.55 is the most i give out' i say yeah but this is a different thing, its a special use ticket. he says he doesnt know anything about it. i say again that there are posters on his bus about it and he very bluntly tells me that if i want this 'special ticket' that i should get myself off this bus and get another one!

so i took the number of his bus (the one on the back outside) and told the inspector at partick because that guys ignorance (this wasnt a new thing either) cost me and extra 2 quid that day!

and generally they are assholes. you get the odd really decent guy for sure who are pleasant, but for instance walking up to the bus in the bus station the other day, an old dear had just got and im about to step up into it when the bastard closes the doors on me.

twunt.
Bingo Bango
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Fat Cat » Fri Apr 20, 2007 8:53 am

Some First Bus drivers are pretty rude, it has to be said. But they do have a lot to put up with.

I was on the bus the other morning going to work. A "lady" got on the bus and asked for a 2.55 all day. The driver proceeded to tell her it was only 9.15 am and the price was 2.85 to which she replyed "no, you're wrong". How can you argue with someone who very obviously is trying to get away with paying full fare. He got fed up arguing with her and gave her the ticket.

So I can easily say that if I were doing their job, I'd have a hard time keeping my cool.

And when the driver stops for someone running for the bus and they get on and don't thank them .......... that really pisses me off.

But then you get the drivers who take great delight in driving past a bus stop full of passengers waiting and the bus is half empty. Why do they do that?
Fat Cat
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Peekay » Fri Apr 20, 2007 8:56 am

Josef wrote:Don't know about that PK. The ones I know say they have to work twelve hour shifts whilst only getting paid for six or seven (through that should-definitely-be-illegal split-shift thing).

The hours I had were great (when the barriers are up) You tended to only do 2 hours-or-so out of a 3 hour shift with 6 on a Saturday. So you'ld end up getting paid for 36 hours and only actually do 25. It also means you have all day off to do other stuff. Maybe they can get a wanky in other positions but the barriers are smashing (you get to annoy all the torn-faced general public as well which is a bonus)

PK
Peekay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby morton75 » Fri Apr 20, 2007 1:33 pm

Have to agree about attitudes.

Got on at Greeock Central one morning 7.15, station is manned but office doesnt open till 7.20.

" A return to Glasgow from Greenock Central my good man"

"Ill need to charge you 2 single fares"

"NO, the office was not open therefor i was unable to purchease a valid ticket before getting on the train"

"Aye but theres a guy in this station so i need to charge you 2 singles"

"No, you obviously miss-heard me there, the ticket issuing facility was closed, i could not buy a ticket"

" Rules are rules"

"Geeze a return ya $%^&*("

Of course this wasnt the actual conversation but would common sense not take over and just give out a return, eventually the inspector went off in a huff, didnt give me a ticket but came back about 30 mins later and gave me the return. Totally bizarre.

Overall most of the ticket guys are all right, apart from the wee stout black haired woman, youd think it was her own money sometimes!!!
Here Comes Bod
morton75
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)