Airbrush (Grandad's Photoshop)

Talk about equipment such as cameras, accessories & storage, lighting and lenses

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Airbrush (Grandad's Photoshop)

Postby BrigitDoon » Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:24 pm

In days of yore, yer grampfer used to use these to touch up his photos:

Paasche type F single-action airbrush

Paasche type VJR double-action airbrush

Type VJR stripped for cleaning

I don't use them for photo-retouching. The airbrush is a valuable tool for creating realistic images:

Jaguar E-Type series I rendered using both the above airbrushes and Rotring acrylic ink on Bristol Board.

I'll have another go when I can afford to buy a good compressor. The old one doesn't have a storage tank on it so it delivers a pulsed air supply which is not good for fine detail work as you end up with a line of dots. There's one in Millers for £200. I'd hope for something a little cheaper.
UXB
BrigitDoon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Airbrush (Grandad's Photoshop)

Postby floweredpig » Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:30 pm

Great stuff Brigit,funnily enough i have 1963 Jaguar E-Type sales brochure and they seem to have used a similar technique on some of the photopraphs.
floweredpig
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby BrigitDoon » Sat Apr 25, 2009 11:14 pm

The airbrush was very popular during the post-war period for retouching photographs in car brochures. They used to eliminate distracting reflections from the bodywork in this way.

I've never tried using photographic paper as a support. We're all familiar with the delicate surface; add to this the masking film that needs to go over the top of it and a sharp Swan-Morten blade...

It takes the utmost delicacy to cut through the masking film without marking the paper beneath. Using an airbrush itself takes considerable practice to master. This is not a pursuit for the impatient or clumsy.
UXB
BrigitDoon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby hungryjoe » Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:37 pm

I used to marvel at the art dept. in the Evening Citizen airbrushing out the occasional "spider's leg" from the "Daily Dolly" pictures.
Multi dinero, multi ficky fick, multi divorce.
hungryjoe
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby BrigitDoon » Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:51 pm

"Spidering" is a technical airbrushing term. When you hold the airbrush too close to the surface that you are applying paint to and the paint is thin, then a pool of fluid collects which is immediately distributed by the airflow whereupon it assumes the appearance of a spider.
UXB
BrigitDoon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Return to Equipment