Chinon CE-3 Memotron

Talk about equipment such as cameras, accessories & storage, lighting and lenses

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Chinon CE-3 Memotron

Postby BrigitDoon » Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:46 pm

A couple of weeks ago, I talked about a Chinon CE-3 Memotron 35mm camera that my mum had bought about thirty years ago. She sent it to me recently and I decided to see if it was still functional by loading it with a roll of Fuji Superia 200 and taking it out for a spin 'round the block. It has a few foibles. The frame counter has stopped working and the shutter release is sometimes hesitant. Still the manual focus on the 50mm works very well and it is easy to see when it is in focus.

I've had the photos back from Boots:

These were scanned through my HP Deskjet F380 and scaled and sharpened using XnView.

The originals are in sharp focus and the light and colour are as I remember them when I took the photos, much as one would expect for Fuji film.

I'm pleased that it works after all these years and I hope I can find some way of making the counter work again. Also, the rubber seal that is supposed to prevent light leaking onto the film has perished slightly. I wonder if it can be replaced.

Just to recap, it takes Pentax/Praktika M-42 lenses and this was the camera I used to take my first "proper" photographs, on holiday in France when I was 11.
UXB
BrigitDoon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Chinon CE-3 Memotron

Postby Josef » Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:52 pm

BrigitDoon wrote:Image

That's beautiful, and very Lomo-esque.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Lucky Poet » Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:16 pm

Nice results! Love the daffies there. Yer focus is certainly spot on - there's a lot to be said for old-fashioned microprism focusing screens.

I'm sure I read somewhere that it is possible (if a laborious task) to replace the rubber seals on old cameras.
All the world seems in tune on a Spring afternoon, when we're poisoning pigeons in the park.
Lucky Poet
-
-

Postby BrigitDoon » Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:30 pm

Josef wrote:That's beautiful, and very Lomo-esque.

I don't know how it happened, but I'm pleased with the background. It looks like heat shimmer at first glance, or maybe watercolour, but not the usual out-of-focus background.

Lucky Poet wrote:I'm sure I read somewhere that it is possible (if a laborious task) to replace the rubber seals on old cameras.

I'll give it a go. The camera's worth very little but has great sentimental value.
UXB
BrigitDoon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Lucky Poet » Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:02 pm

I'm in the same boat myself actually - my dad's old Yashika's seals are beginning to perish, which obviously isn't a good thing. I quite fancy giving that film photography thing a go, so I'd love to get it in good working order :)
All the world seems in tune on a Spring afternoon, when we're poisoning pigeons in the park.
Lucky Poet
-
-

Postby BrigitDoon » Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:45 am

Prinzflex 80-200mm Macro lens with Pentax M42 mount removed.

Dismantled further:

Of course, I'm having trouble fitting it back together again. :oops:
UXB
BrigitDoon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby rotten milk » Sun Apr 19, 2009 1:58 am

do you have this?:

http://www.butkus.org/chinon/chinon/ce- ... 3-inst.htm

only cos it says about having the shutter speed dial set to x or manual when you first wind the film on. then when the counter registers, set the shutter speed to what you want.
i don't know the camera, but mebbes if this isn't set as above, then maybe the counter doesn't work properly?
IMPORTANT NOTE: SET THE SHUTTER SPEED DIAL TO THE ~X" OR "MANUALS SPEED POSITION WHEN MAKING TWO BLANK EXPOSURES TO DISPOSE OF THE FIRST FEW INCHES OF FILM WHICH WERE EXPOSED DURING LOADING, HOWEVER, DO NOT SET THE SHUTTER SPEED DIAL TO THE AUTO POSITION, IF YOU SHOULD DEPRESS THE SHUTTER RELEASE BUTTON IN THE AUTO POSITION THE SHUTTER WILL REMAIN OPEN FOR A LONG PERIOD OF TIME (TIME EXPOSURE) AND THE FILM WILL NOT ADVANCE.
WHEN THE FILM COUNTER INDICATES YOU ARE READY TO TAKE THE FIRST EXPOSURE, BE SURE TO RETURN THE SHUTTER SPEED TO THE "AUTO" POSITION.

of course, it's mebbe just fcked! ::):

nice pics, tho
hey, d'ye think it's ootside yir in?
rotten milk
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby BrigitDoon » Fri May 15, 2009 12:52 am

Went to Merchant City Cameras on Tuesday and came home with this:

35mm wide-angle Chinon lens to add to my collection. I thought £24 quite reasonable.

The fellow in the shop said he can get the rubber seals replaced for £18 + VAT, so I'll go for that soon before they perish any further (there's a damping strip that catches the mirror that can cause damage if not replaced.)
UXB
BrigitDoon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Return to Equipment